Golden Compass Movie Playing Cards...novelty cards divination?

Cerulean

...there were dominos, demon dice (a dice game), but the playing cards in a tin as an 'exclusive for Borders' caught my eye. I cannot find anything online, but the tin is titled: Special Edition Playing Card Set.

Anyway, half the deck has backs that say "The Golden Compass" and the other half of the deck has a picture of the alethiometer with the three red hands and the one dark hand. I saw a few novelty items at Borders that are available here ( like the puzzle):

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets...ass-Top-Trumps/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

But the playing cards, a nice find, weren't anywhere online as of November 29th, 2007...but since there are Narnia playing card sets here (and Narnia was out in 2006?), maybe it's taking time for more sets of Golden Compass playing cards.

The set is cute, with slightly textured stock, no borders...I was glad to see some of my favorite personal motifs, such as a lute, an owl...an odd preference in many decks I enjoy...

Until I can find a golden compass for myself, I'll find this deck as a half-novelty tribute to the players in the movie...such as Nicole Kidman...and partly as inspirational and refreshing suggestions when I do 'playing card' readings!

Anyone see or use movie-or-book inspired playing cards for 'divining'?

Cerulean

WolfSpirit

Do the cards have the symbols of the alethiometer on them ?
It is not really clear from the description.
I would probably get those, they are not too expensive either !

AJ

I saw the previews for the movie at the theater last week...I'm holding out for a alethiometer :)

Master_Margarita

Online alethiometer

You can download a virtual alethiometer here that is quite pretty and functional.

M_M~

Satori

Cerulean thanks so much for this thread! I go with my sister next Friday to see the movie and so all things Golden Compass are captivating! ;) I admit since reading the Playing Card Oracles and getting the cards playing card decks have been finding their way into the collection, and this deck is a shoe in.

Will be looking out for it at my local B&N/Borders.

Waterfaery

The downloaded one is really cool, but I would love to have a real one! I wonder if anybody actually makes them? I haven't been able to find anything about it. If anybody else does, let us know! Maybe the movie will prompt someone to start ;).

Cerulean

Oh, the playing cards do have all 36 symbols.

But their assignment seems random. I have not seen the movie yet, so I couldn't say why one suit has some of the symbols such as the lute, owl, etc., and why the others have movie screen shots or character assignments. It's a 52 card poker deck...if anyone sees a link online to one, please post!

I cannot find it online, just found it in the local Bordors two days ago.

Have a great weekend all...hoping to see the Golden Compass when I return home soon...

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Satori

Master_Margarita said:
You can download a virtual alethiometer here that is quite pretty and functional.

M_M~

I just downloaded this. Wow!!! I love it. Still need to figure it out, but I love it!

Aulruna

I've seen a "functional" Althiometer at FAO Schwartz last week. You could set the hands and then press a button and the needle would point to a symbol, like it should. Price was quite low, about $20. It was however made of plastic and did not look very classy (or durable), so I refrained from getting it (despite having wanted one for years, ever since I first picked up the book) - well, you get the quality you pay for, I presume...