Samhain DOB 2016 - possible design, thoughts?

seven stars

This year for the 2016 version of the Samhain Deck of the Bastard, I'm thinking Blood Moon....the Red Deck was insanely popular & I think I'm going to miss the red theme, but this time with it I thought maybe a deck with no borders, just simple titles, something really old looking.....I came up with this idea but I haven't done too many cards yet so I don't have to commit to this idea if people are like, "eh"....I thought they'd look cool with the red moons lined up in readings, what do you guys think? Is this design a "go" or a "no"?

Attachments

• possible Blood Moon DOB.jpg
    possible Blood Moon DOB.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 308

reall

:)) seriously like anything from you can be bad?:)) honestly that red moon look like a tomato to me?x,x and I'm having trouble reading titles?x,x/ my vision is not perfect so don't take my word for!x,x :)) imo you could go with darker background?x,x and to make moon less red? and more transparent/dark like subtle red glow trough black night/fog or something?x,x that would look really freaky!XD ;))

seven stars

:)) seriously like anything from you can be bad?:)) honestly that red moon look like a tomato to me?x,x and I'm having trouble reading titles?x,x/ my vision is not perfect so don't take my word for!x,x :)) imo you could go with darker background?x,x and to make moon less red? and more transparent/dark like subtle red glow trough black night/fog or something?x,x that would look really freaky!XD ;))

Excellent feedback, let me try something with those ideas tonight & I'll post on it later. You think black is better than the aged paper, right?

reall

ok!:)) yeah!^^ you may keep aged but make it burned would look even better!?XD :))
looking froward to see what you'll do!^^lolz ;))

seven stars

ok!:)) yeah!^^ you may keep aged but make it burned would look even better!?XD :))
looking froward to see what you'll do!^^lolz ;))

Or maybe a triple moon, if that's not too cluttered.

Calcifer

I'm really liking the borderless format and the titles... I'm not too sure about the moon though. Looking at your pic, it really just looks like a big red dot - perhaps if it were more recognizable as the moon ? I can see the details of the craters and such, but you have to look for it...maybe all of that "red" obscures things... I wouldn't rule out going to a silvery-white to make it more obvious that it is in fact the moon you're looking at.
Your triple moon idea might be a really good one too. Let me think this over...
Michael

Tanga

Hmm. I agree with comments. Love the borderless.
The moon - looks like it could be a large red dot. - and the writing (though I love the "handwritten" theme!) could be a bit difficult to read...
A "more transparent glowing moon through black fog" ala reall - I like the sound of that!
(I'd prefer a more orangy moon... :D)

I think the moons could be in different phases - rather than all full. And perhaps a bit smaller...(would have to see some size differences...).

Tripple moon - again - I'd have to see exactly what you mean (could look cluttered as you say...perhaps if the tripple was small and sort of "running along the edge" of where the large red moon is now... ). I'm thinking - the tripples could vary on each card - so some of the Maiden and Crone moons could be in stages of gibbous...(that would be more work I'm sure :) ).

Can't comment on a black background until I actually see some alternatives...

seven stars

Ok I'm gonna work on this this morning with all your suggestions in mind. It's REALLY helpful to me to have the feedback - I get to looking at this stuff too long & I can't tell if it's cool or not after a while. Remember it's a SAMHAIN deck, not just "another edition" deck, so I need to do something to incorporate that as the theme.

Things I do know...I'm really wanting to make it a borderless deck this time. I was thinking Blood Moon would make for a great theme, actually, I haven't looked to see if there are a dozen blood moon decks out there (I know Deviant Moon).

I saw a photo recently and I loved the caption with it - it had the full moon through the trees and it said "Stay wild, moon child".....when my girls were little, one of our favorite books was "Wild Child" by Lynn Plourde - any of you who aren't familiar with it it's just a really wonderful long poem with beautiful paintings about Mother Earth trying to get her wild child to bed. Perhaps that's not a Samhain theme really. lol...this is pretty much how I work...rambling stream of consciousness with morning coffee. Was a beautiful sunrise here this morning, btw.

seven stars

oh man this one is giving me fits. The moon was just getting ridiculous. I also tried substituting various halloween type images into the backs with different ones on each card and that was definitely way too busy overall.

Minus the fact that I haven't narrowed down the font, I thought this looks a lot cleaner but it's not much into "Samhain theme" other than that it's dark and brownish...I mean, for ME that works & I'd read with that, probably moreso than with a cluttered up deck. I can always do something Samhain for the backs to compliment it.

Too dark? I thought it made the images *pop* more.....

Attachments

• Brown grouping.jpg
    Brown grouping.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 266

blue_fusion

How about you darken the background of the moon? I think one of the reasons why it looks like a red dot is because it's hard to associate its background with the night sky. Hope thar helps. :)