Sepher Yetzirah 1:2-5

isthmus nekoi

2. Ten Sefirot of Nothingness plus twenty two [foundations] letters: Three Mothers, Seven Doubles, and Twelve Elementals.

3. Ten Sefirot of Nothingness: The number of the ten fingers, five opposite five, with a single covenent precisely in the middle, like the circumcision of the tongue and the circumcision of the membrum.

4. Ten Sefirot of Nothingness: Ten and not nine; ten and not eleven. Understand with Wisdom, and be wise with Understanding. Examine with them and probe them, make a thing stand on its essence, and make the Creator sit on his base.

5. Ten Sefirot of Nothingness: Their measure is ten which have no end. A depth of beginning, a depth of end; a depth of good, a depth of evil; a depth of above, a depth below; a depth east, a depth west; a depth north, a depth south. The singular Master, God faithful King, dominates them all from His holy dwelling until eternity of eternities.

---

2. jpg of the letters divided by 3, 7 and 12: http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/imuhtuk/gdrolls/letters.jpg

3. Perhaps another way of dividing the tree according to the "Vesica Piscis"? (http://wolf.mind.net/library/ancient/qabala/graphics/fig16.gif)

Dulcimer

isthmus nekoi said:
2. Ten Sefirot of Nothingness plus twenty two [foundations] letters: Three Mothers, Seven Doubles, and Twelve Elementals.
...and five final forms. Everyone ignores the five final forms. Poor ol' final forms. Lets invite them to the party! Since they have numbers attributed to them (500 - 900) they must have meanings beyond Tau (400), wouldn't y'say hmmmm?;)

isthmus nekoi said:
Can't see nuttin' there dude.

jmd

I have also placed the 22 letters in their 36 possible forms (dageshed and not, final and not) on my FourHares.com site.

Just focussing on 1:2 for a moment (even though this is picked up again in far more detail later), it seems to suggest that this section also elucidates from 1:1, in which is mentioned thirty-two wondrous paths of wisdom.

It could therefore be taken, by numerical correlation, and as mentioned in the thread Sefer Yetzirah 1:1, that the ten Sefirot and twenty-two letters refer to these.

That is, of course, also one of the most standard and accepted interpretation of one aspect of the 32 wondrous ways (or paths) to and of wisdom.

_____

With 1:3:
Ten Sefirot of Nothingness: The number of the ten fingers, five opposite five, with a single covenent precisely in the middle, like the circumcision of the tongue and the circumcision of the membrum.​

it is one of the more astounding verses.

If we take the fingers as extremities, then what precisely is in the middle is the heart. Even if we bring our fingers together, the shape make in its hollow appears to be heart-like, and within that the covenent, and, again, an indirect reference to the 32 by the Hebrew word for 'Heart' and the opening and closing letters of the Torah.

Another fascinating aspect is in relation to the way in which the Tree of Life is presented: it seems to suggest that the ten Sefirot are five opposite five, with a single covenent in the middle.

These 'opposites' perhaps are also in need of further elucidation, and their distinction to the covenent 'precisely in the middle'.

isthmus nekoi

If you can't see the pictures, jmd's site gives a much more indepth breakdown of the letters and I've attached the vesica picture to this post.

As for verse 1.3 - the vesica picture counts kether and yesod twice, allowing for tipareth (heart) to be placed in the center, and placing malkuth outside the model.

p.s. The version I'm looking at doesn't include the 5 forms. Of course they are invited! :)

Attachments

• vesica.gif
    vesica.gif
    8 KB · Views: 235

venicebard

Jmd, thanks for clarifying the ordinal versus cardinal aspect: for some reason, even though I had the facts (the two ways of using Hebrew letters numerically), I never put them together (I think in the past I called the Hebrew numbering by 1s, 10s, and 100s ordinal, since based on order of letters, but this was a misuse of the term on my part).
jmd said:
With 1:3:
Ten Sefirot of Nothingness: The number of the ten fingers, five opposite five, with a single covenent precisely in the middle, like the circumcision of the tongue and the circumcision of the membrum.​

it is one of the more astounding verses.
And mark that the covenant of unity (‘single covenant’ above) is alef (cardinally ‘one’ and ordinally ‘first’) and that it is here likened to circumcision, whose sign is the heh added to Abram to make Abraham. Thus here is the ‘horse’s mouth’ (the text itself, as opposed to mere interpretation) making the connexion between mother letter alef and the ‘father’ heh: this revelation becomes invaluable later, when the three ‘fathers’ yod-heh-vav are chosen ‘by the mystery of the three mothers’.
If we take the fingers as extremities, then what precisely is in the middle is the heart... and, again, an indirect reference to the 32 by the Hebrew word for 'Heart' and the opening and closing letters of the Torah.
I just wanted to interpose here that I associate alef itself with the heart as center (of the round), the meaning of heart in the symbolic sense, whereas the organ itself is associated with the sign leo (as in Richard Lionheart).
Another fascinating aspect is in relation to the way in which the Tree of Life is presented: it seems to suggest that the ten Sefirot are five opposite five, with a single covenent in the middle.
Hit don’t seem to, hit do. The whole layout of the Sefirot here is five pairs of opposites—which shows it is the Tree as it manifests in duality, the triadic Tree everyone is used to seeing being how it manifests in the world of threefold-ness. Thus in spite of the title, it must be clear we are in Beriyah here, the second of the four worlds, since duality is the ruling principle, and the triadic Tree is in Yetzirah, the third of the four worlds. For each world manifests within the previous one, does it not? so with the second comes the principle of duality and with the third that of triplicity.
isthmus nekoi said:
As for verse 1.3 - the vesica picture counts kether and yesod twice, allowing for tipareth (heart) to be placed in the center, and placing malkuth outside the model.
I think bringing the triadic Tree in with the Tree of polarities clouds the issue, for it is a (logically) later development. In other words, this Tree underlies or helps explain the triadic one, not vice versa. Surely no-one questions 2’s coming before 3. Of course I may well have misunderstood: it may be that the 'vesica' form shown is intended to show triadicity's background of duality, basically in terms of the male and female pillars, I take it: in that case, it is wrong to divide up 1 itself, methinks, as it precedes division into male and female.
p.s. The version I'm looking at doesn't include the 5 forms. Of course they are invited! :)
I don’t believe Sefer Yetzirah acknowledges the five final forms at all, does it, certainly not as separate ‘paths of wisdom’: this is one of the things that suggests great age for this work, as it appears to preserve the original tradition (albeit skewed in parts) attached to the older Semitic letters, which did not have final forms. In fact, it appears to me to state the case that determined how the shapes evolved into square Hebrew, for the simples’ shapes appear determined by where they (originally) were on the zodiac of the torso (up-head-spring, down-loins-fall, etc.). Indeed one copy of SY I posses calls it ‘The Letters of our Father Abraham’, which seems an appropriate title.

isthmus nekoi

venicebard said:
I think bringing the triadic Tree in with the Tree of polarities clouds the issue, for it is a (logically) later development. In other words, this Tree underlies or helps explain the triadic one, not vice versa. Surely no-one questions 2’s coming before 3.

I'm not suggesting any numerical order, I just saw a possible connection - a way to divide the tree into five-five-one and wanted to bring it to the table.

Also, I'd assumed from Dulcimer's post that the 5 forms were mentioned in a different version of the SY.

venicebard

(an annotated apology)

isthmus nekoi said:
I'm not suggesting any numerical order, I just saw a possible connection - a way to divide the tree into five-five-one and wanted to bring it to the table.
It was my comment that was off base. For it is all one Tree, simply manifested to us through 4 ‘lenses’ (of which your ‘vesica’ shows the cross-section?). Even from my point of view this Tree of polarities is a 'map' leading thought from the unity of Atzilut to the screwed-up doer in Yetzirah, so of course the exact form in which the polarities appear to us would be affected by the triadic Tree (isn't there a term blowback?). Indeed, 3-4 being SY’s polarity good-evil arises evidently from the supernals 1-3 (1st triad) remaining intact when vessels 4-10 break. Logically prior to Luria's ‘breaking of the vessels’, 4 must have been potential evil only, the test from failing which evil arose (a test of balance involving physical form, 4 being the number of elements therein).

How to divide up Sefirot 5-versus-5 other than odd versus even (5 successive polarities) is an interesting puzzle. There is of course the symmetric (and only such) pattern of primes versus not-primes up-to-and-including 10; but the pattern that has held my attention makes 1-4 the fingers of the right hand (index through pinky), 5-8 those of the left (pinky through index), 9-L-thumb, 10-R-thumb. For 5-8 equate to -4 through -1 numerologically, and 1-4 are fire-air-water-earth—SY's holy-spirit (aries-head-uprightness), spirit (taurus-throat, a leaning out from uprightness), water (gemini-shoulders, approaching level or straight out), and ‘fire’ (cancer-breasts, straight out itself), this last being the horizon without, which is earth in relation to sky or upper half (first 4 signs), its radius being level, but sight or light or fire (the circumference being upright here, like flame) in relation to ground, the lower half. (Do not be deceived by astrology’s elemental stipulations, which have specialized meaning: the original triads can be seen in the tradition assigning fire to the triangle of the Seal of Solomon pointing up and water or Torah to the one pointing down, making aquarius-the-water-pourer water and the crab’s hard shell earth.) Then 9 and 10, by bardic numbering anyway, form the fundamental polarity in man (cause of the sexes), namely the strongest -1 valence—9-K-fluorine, or what is acutely felt hence avoided—versus the first numerological +1 other than 1—10-G-neon, or what is acutely desired hence approached—each being zero in the other's sphere. This polarity from among the 7 doubles is expressed within the vessel or round (of 12 simples) by vav-17-chlorine’s and yod-19-potassium’s -1 and +1 respectively in both number and valence, whose power to hold fluids within cells is harnessed in the Name (yod-heh-vav-heh).
Also, I'd assumed from Dulcimer's post that the 5 forms were mentioned in a different version of the SY.
If so, it would likely be a later gloss, since neither the Gra nor Short versions mention them, to my knowledge (I’ll look, to be sure).

venicebard

(the 5 finals)

No version appears to even mention the five final forms. All are emphatic it is 22 letters, 32 paths: 3-7-12 plus the 10 (or rather 10, plus the 3-7-12). The personage mentioned—unlike in the Bahir or the Zohar—is consistently Abraham. So it appears to be genuine (w/ blinds) pre-captivity Merkavah tradition, rooted in the original Semitic letters, 22 in number. This is important when interpreting SY’s (meaning Merkavah’s) take on the Name, as it makes the modern, eroded doctrine of vav simply being ‘son’ or male untenable (old Semitic vav was a breast pouring forth milk).

isthmus nekoi

Hey venicebard, thanks for checking out the different versions. Perhaps Dulcimer might explain the connection if he reads this thread again? I honestly have no clue how to tie things together as I am a total neophyte when it comes to kabbalah on its own. I've only really just scaffolded my knowledge on the Thoth tarot and I'm sure this doesn't do the system justice given the impossibility of separating the TOL's content and form.

btw, I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I will reply in more depth later!

venicebard

A quick lesson

isthmus nekoi said:
I honestly have no clue how to tie things together as I am a total neophyte when it comes to kabbalah on its own. I've only really just scaffolded my knowledge on the Thoth tarot and I'm sure this doesn't do the system justice given the impossibility of separating the TOL's content and form.
Nice art, the Thoth, but unrelated to actual Kabbalah (except in Crowley’s mind, which lacked any real understanding of Hebrew letters and thus simply lined them up in order beside the trumps, starting with alef-Fool—which would have been an odd place for Semites to start their letter-sequence—but switching VIII Justice and XI Force around to make things ‘fit’, as I recall).

The trumps in T. of Marseilles, on the other hand, were (as can be demonstrated from many angles) devised based on the letters handed down through both Hebrew and Irish-Welsh tradition, using a symbolic numbering that was evidently more ancient than alef-bet order (and the numbering based thereon) since it is linked to sounds’ placement in the calendar-alphabet known as ogam consaine, extant from at least the early 2nd millennium B.C.E. Letter-shapes in many ancient alphabets can be traced to this calendar-symbolism—such as dalet, ‘door’, being D-duir-oak (12) in Irish, wood of doors, its letter shaped like a doorway in both the Libyan alphabet and closely related Tifinag (brought by Nordic seafarers to Libya), its Phoenician form being a jib, which also swings (as does XII The Hanged Man), since it is the month of summer solstice, when the year’s pendulum (or door) swings about (as do jibs in tacking), the year having begun in B-beth-birch at yuletide. You will find from Crowley’s 777 that he did not even know enough to assign dalet to the oak, let alone to trump XII.

The ToL originated as the first ten of the 12+1 (12 plus return to start) stations of the round, which were termed the 13 middot or divine attributes: it leads from up (first, aries, head)—the exalted or divine—through out (fourth, cancer, breasts)—pointed towards other (making it Chesed, kindness)—through down (seventh, libra, loins)—the physical (Bahir’s ‘Holy Palace’)—to straight back or in (tenth, capricorn, mid-spine)—meaning self (the Shekhinah or Presence, one’s individual conscious awareness). The Bahir describes their origin, in the first world (called Atzilut), SY describes them divided into pairs by the second world (Beriyah), the ToL in its common layout shows them divided into triads by the third world (Yetzirah), and astronomical cycles show them divided into four strata, each corresponding to an element: eternity, great year or ‘pre’cession (heavens’ forward revolution about the zodiac), Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, year, Venus, Mercury, month, day (with 1 = fire, 2-4 = air, 5-9 = water, 10 = earth). Each world is a wheel, the first centered atop standing Adam Qadmon's head, the second atop that of seated Adam, the third at the heart of the seated torso (being the zodiac thereof), the fourth at the heart of the womb (symbolizing the round thereof), each wheel half the height of its predecessor. This gives you the crux of Ezekiel's great vision, and Qabbalah in a nutshell (actually Ma'aseh Merkavah, Work of the Chariot, in which Q. has its root).

Trumps relate the ToL to the transition between the second and third worlds, in a sense, or the gathering of all four, in another sense—that is, it relates it to the quintessence or soul gathering together and balancing all four worlds or elements—and those of the first four Sefirot even relate directly to their description here in SY. XI Force is the pivot or fulcrum (or mirror), first (trump I) being reflected by first-from-the-end (trump XXI), second (trump II) by second-from-the-end (trump XX), and so on. Only the first three hold firm, though, as the lower seven ‘vessels’ are broken (according to the Lurianic school) by sudden influx of Light from above to below. Thus I-XI-XXI are all one thing—in itself, in relation to one ten-fingered, and in relation to two ten-fingereds—whilst II-XI-XX are all numerological +2s and III-XI-XVIIII all +1 in valence (lithium-sodium-potassium). Note trump XI binds together all three triplicities.

Of course the ‘experts’ have a different story (and little curiosity as to ToL's origin), so judge for yourself.

[The Marseilles trumps, beginning with LeMat, correlate to bardic letters in the order H-A-E-I-O-B-M-P-F-K-G-T-D-N-L-R-S-U-Q(kk)-Y(ii)-St(ss)-AA, which translate into Hebrew as cheyt-alef-heh-zayin-ayin-beyt-mem-peh-samekh-kaf-gimel-tav-dalet-nun-lamedh-reysh-shin-vav-qof-yod-tzaddi-teyt. The reason samekh replaces F is that it is (originally, before rearrangement into alef-bet order) aries, the tip of the tongue (top of the Egg or round), hence an s sound (and the only letter shaped like the head or aries), whereas to pagans it was the Corn Spirit sprouting out beyond the tongue (or Egg or seed) and thus an f sound. The heh in Abraham to signify the Covenant was the eighth sign, scorpio—one’s ‘secrets’, as old horticultural charts used to label it, meaning the organ of arousal—and circumcision is on the eighth day. Vowels tended to harden into consonants, AA-teyt being a consonant in all alphabets except the Irish bardic. For example, zayin is Greek zeta, Zeus’s initial being from erosion of D by I. Y(ii) is mistletoe or loranthus (according to me, but based on Graves’s reconstruction of an original tree-alphabet of 22 letters from the surviving Irish one of 20), which is why square-Hebrew yod hovers over the line on which one writes (mistletoe being rooted in trees, not soil). The more of the story you have, the better to judge it by.]