Duads and Interpretations

Darth MI

From my understanding duads are like mini decans. I know their effects are so damn minor they are virtually useless but I am still interested in learning about them. Can anyone give links or interpretations for a duads? How about online calculators?

I know my Scorpio ascendant is in the Aries duad from what I remember seeing in an online chart. What effects would these bring?

Minderwiz

There's some argument about the origin of the twelfth parts (Dodekatamoiria in Hellenistic Astrology). with at least one writer claiming to detect a reference in Babylonian times but it was Hellenistic Astrology that really made use of them, a techique passed on to Jyotish).

Firstly, what matters is the planets rather than the signs -The twelfth part of a planet refers to a place of importance for a planet. The Dodekatamoiria are linked to the Sun/Moon cycle of 12/13 lunations in a year. Though they later became standardised as twelfths of a sign.

Firmicus Maternus says that Duodecatemoria (latin version) are seen by many astrologers as revealing the secrets hidden in the chart. He calculates them by multiplying the degree that a planet is placed in by 12 and then measuring that number of degrees from the sign in which the planet is placed.

His example goes as follows. Sun at 5 degrees 5 minutes Aries. Multiply this by 12 to get a total of 61 degrees. Move 61 degrees from the beginning of Aries and you come to the 1st degree of Gemini You would examine the first degree of Gemini in terms of which Bounds it lies in which is the Bounds of Mercury. That's not to bad, Mercury is rather neutral but the bounds of Saturn or Mars might indicate that the affairs of the Sun will go badly, the bounds of Venus or Jupiter might indicate that all will be well.

Rhetorius the Egyptian seems to interpret the Dodecatemorion (sic) as beneficial if they trine or sextile their planet but adverse if the are in opposition of square to it. So the interpretation seems to depend on whether the twelfth part makes a beneficial or a harmful aspect and also in which bounds the twelfth part falls. The signs may give more information, for example if the Moon's twelfth part forms a harmful aspect in a quadrapedal sign (such as Aries or Leo), the native's mother may come to harm from wild beasts. If it is from a human sign (such as Aquarius or Virgo) the harm may come from other people, such as muggers.

Darth MI

There's some argument about the origin of the twelfth parts (Dodekatamoiria in Hellenistic Astrology). with at least one writer claiming to detect a reference in Babylonian times but it was Hellenistic Astrology that really made use of them, a techique passed on to Jyotish).

Firstly, what matters is the planets rather than the signs -The twelfth part of a planet refers to a place of importance for a planet. The Dodekatamoiria are linked to the Sun/Moon cycle of 12/13 lunations in a year. Though they later became standardised as twelfths of a sign.

Firmicus Maternus says that Duodecatemoria (latin version) are seen by many astrologers as revealing the secrets hidden in the chart. He calculates them by multiplying the degree that a planet is placed in by 12 and then measuring that number of degrees from the sign in which the planet is placed.

His example goes as follows. Sun at 5 degrees 5 minutes Aries. Multiply this by 12 to get a total of 61 degrees. Move 61 degrees from the beginning of Aries and you come to the 1st degree of Gemini You would examine the first degree of Gemini in terms of which Bounds it lies in which is the Bounds of Mercury. That's not to bad, Mercury is rather neutral but the bounds of Saturn or Mars might indicate that the affairs of the Sun will go badly, the bounds of Venus or Jupiter might indicate that all will be well.

Rhetorius the Egyptian seems to interpret the Dodecatemorion (sic) as beneficial if they trine or sextile their planet but adverse if the are in opposition of square to it. So the interpretation seems to depend on whether the twelfth part makes a beneficial or a harmful aspect and also in which bounds the twelfth part falls. The signs may give more information, for example if the Moon's twelfth part forms a harmful aspect in a quadrapedal sign (such as Aries or Leo), the native's mother may come to harm from wild beasts. If it is from a human sign (such as Aquarius or Virgo) the harm may come from other people, such as muggers.

How do they work? I was just in an astrology forum and apparently modern astrologers believe it brings a certain spin or flavour. For example if you have Leo Asc in Scorpio duad, it would make you less shower and more secretive than the typical Leo Asc.

In addition some astrologers believe duads are the determining factor why you are wildly different from someone sharing almost the exact same natal chart with only separations in degrees of planets. Thus you and another person were both born with Cancer asc on the same day in the same hospital but because you were born 10 minutes later, you have Libra duad in Cancer asc while your friend has Virgo duad. Thus you may turn out quite different, being charmy and artistic while your friend is analytical and blunt.

How do traditionals view this theory?

Barleywine

I've been considering how to approach the duodekatemoria. I can't help but think that the 12th part of anything begins to feel a bit like sifting "bug-dust." But perhaps it's like tying a surgeon's knot in fly fishing: it's far easier to do than it is to read about how to do (even with illustrations.} The calculation doesn't seem complex, but the interpretation, piled on top of everything else in a chart, strikes me as hair-splitting. The modern writers on traditional astrology that I've read (admittedly few at present) seem to think that term and face take us to the outer fringes of usefulness in terms of level of detail. But I'm by no means a skeptic and am perfectly willing to be convinced; I just need a good primer (how about Firmicus Maternus? Or is there anything more recent?).

astrocosmic

Thanks for the info minderwiz. I agree barley I have been aware of these too but not really able to bring them in to my chart interpretations. Any other thoughts on these minderwiz?

Minderwiz

To be honest, I tend to Barleywine's 'sifting dust' Up to now I've not read anything that convinces me that these are actually gold dust. That's not to say that there's not something out there that will, but Firmicus, up to now. doesn't provide any hard evidence.

I'll have to have a more prolonged look at Valens, as I find him a more 'hands on' Astrologer.

Barleywine

To be honest, I tend to Barleywine's 'sifting dust' Up to now I've not read anything that convinces me that these are actually gold dust. That's not to say that there's not something out there that will, but Firmicus, up to now. doesn't provide any hard evidence.

I'll have to have a more prolonged look at Valens, as I find him a more 'hands on' Astrologer.

A traditional astrologer on another forum that I respect greatly uses the "Paulinus" method, which requires multiplication by 13 instead of 12. He says he uses it only for natal work and event charts, though.