Transits for Serious Illness

Minderwiz

I just downloaded a free translation of Vettius Valens' Anthologies in threwooks (a total of 172 pdf pages). It appears to be everything that is available of his astrological writing. Is that what you're using?

I have the Mark Riley version, which is a free download, though its 184 pages covering all 9 books plus a fifth century edition.

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

This may be what you've got, if not I recommend it subject to my comments below.

Whilst its readable it's literally very dense, not much white space at all. I ended up copying ino word and making the layout much friendlier....that took me quite some time and the result is well over twice as long but much more readable. Riley did the translation for a thesis and then gave it away free.

I also have a Book I translation by Andrea Gehrz. which is so readable compared to Riley however it's not free and there have been criticisms by some Astrologers because she has gone for readability. I'm not one of those. I prefer a book that I can read, even if it allegedly doesn't translate pedantically to one that just sits there defying me to get passed page 1. Gehrz book is 242 pages long with perhaps too much white space but so easy to read and covers exactly what Riley covers in 35. That's how dense Riley is.

Barleywine

I have the Mark Riley version, which is a free download, though its 184 pages covering all 9 books plus a fifth century edition.

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

This may be what you've got, if not I recommend it subject to my comments below.

Whilst its readable it's literally very dense, not much white space at all. I ended up copying ino word and making the layout much friendlier....that took me quite some time and the result is well over twice as long but much more readable. Riley did the translation for a thesis and then gave it away free.

I also have a Book I translation by Andrea Gehrz. which is so readable compared to Riley however it's not free and there have been criticisms by some Astrologers because she has gone for readability. I'm not one of those. I prefer a book that I can read, even if it allegedly doesn't translate pedantically to one that just sits there defying me to get passed page 1. Gehrz book is 242 pages long with perhaps too much white space but so easy to read and covers exactly what Riley covers in 35. That's how dense Riley is.

That's the one I have. Adode Reader tells me it's 172 pages, but it looks identical and goes up to Book IX, with a "Fifth Century Addition." Readability is why I bought the modern printing of Manly P. Hall's Secret Teachings of All Ages. My old facsimile version from the 1970s is virtually unreadable; it was a pull-off with b&w plates from the more expensive large-format printing. I saw the Gehrz volume but there are quite a few other books ahead of it on the wish-list. By the way, I downloaded Aphesis but haven't tried to use it yet. I have some basic knowledge of planetary periods and chronocrators, so it shouldn't be too challenging.

Minderwiz

Gehrz' book is 2011, so at this rate it's going to take her at least 27 years to issue the full translation LOL.

If you have difficulty with the closely packed text on the Riley pdf, then let me know and I can send you my word versions (in pdf if you wish).

Barleywine

If you have difficulty with the closely packed text on the Riley pdf, then let me know and I can send you my word versions (in pdf if you wish).

I just spent some time with it, looking for something particular about decanates. It's exhausting just scrolling down through it. He should have put in some paragraph breaks other than indents. I would appreciate having your "cleaned-up" version. Whichever one is the most word-searchable would be preferable. I believe pdf IS searchable now, but I don't recall it being as effective as Word. Can it be sent by PM attachment or do you need an e-mail address?

Minderwiz

I can't send by pm....PM me your email address and I'll return mine so you don't miss them

Ronia

To me, and it proves again and again, transits to Pluto and to lord 8 plus transits to planets inthe 8 always bring problems witnnealth even if lord 6 is not toucned. I am myself going througn Pluto square Pluto and Uranus oppose Pluto in the 8 and health issues have been constant presence inmy house forthe past months. Even now I am recovering agai after I ended up in the emergency last month. Mars just activated thewhole thing again but without him it still played out.

Minderwiz

Hi Ronia,

Good to hear from you again.

Sorry to hear about you ending up in ER, I hope you're on the mend now!!

PS, was it around the middle of the month?, with the health issues dating back to around September or October of last year but worse since mid February?

Ronia

Hi Ronia,

Good to hear from you again.

Sorry to hear about you ending up in ER, I hope you're on the mend now!!

PS, was it around the middle of the month?, with the health issues dating back to around September or October of last year but worse since mid February?

Hi MInderwiz, I'm recovering. I had pneumonia, unfortunately in both lungs and I have indications in my chart for problems with the respiratory system, it's not a new thing for me, just unpleasant. Anyways, the exact date when I started feeling sick was March 17, the date when I ended up in the ER March 22, it all developed very fast. The health issues started gradually increasing by number and seriousness since the fall and as the degrees of the square and opposition of Pluto and Uranus became exact or closer, this escalated. You may recall my son's problems and this was middle of December, then we had more around the New Year's but meanwhile we've had a number of relatively minor issues, still as their number increased, their impact did so as well. I guess you're looking into something from traditional astrology which is why I'm giving you the exact dates.

Minderwiz

Hi MInderwiz, I'm recovering. I had pneumonia, unfortunately in both lungs and I have indications in my chart for problems with the respiratory system, it's not a new thing for me, just unpleasant. Anyways, the exact date when I started feeling sick was March 17, the date when I ended up in the ER March 22, it all developed very fast. The health issues started gradually increasing by number and seriousness since the fall and as the degrees of the square and opposition of Pluto and Uranus became exact or closer, this escalated. You may recall my son's problems and this was middle of December, then we had more around the New Year's but meanwhile we've had a number of relatively minor issues, still as their number increased, their impact did so as well. I guess you're looking into something from traditional astrology which is why I'm giving you the exact dates.

Sorry to hear that but I'm glad that things are improving.

Yes I did look for a traditional explanation and found it. What intrigued me was your comment about Lord 6 not being involved. Your sixth whole sign house is Gemini, making Mercury Lord 6. Valens links Mercury with the 'body cavity', which seems to included the lungs, though he only specifically mentions the trachea, Valens' rulerships are not those that passed into medieval Astrology so I'll not place great emphasis on the link there.

However, if I look at Zodiacal Releasing from Fortune (and the Lot is associated with what befalls you, including changes in health). You entered a Virgo period on 9 February following a loosing of the bond. This lasted till 25 March, which also marked a loosing of the bond. From the 12th to 16th of March you were also in a Gemini level 4 period. So we have two Mercury periods in tandem.

With Mercury activated, looking at the Transits I find Mars stationed retrograde in your tenth Whole Sign House on 2 March, just over 12 degrees from your natal Mercury but within the range set for 'Assembly'. On March 14th Transiting Mercury trined the now Retrograde Mars, as it began to apply to natal Mercury. So we have transitting Mars aspecting natal Mercury and also transiting Mercury, the latter seems to have been a key trigger.

Just to bring in Lord 8, on the day that you were admitted to ER, Transitting Lord 8 (the Sun by WSH) exactly trined your natal Mars and had moved into Aries, opposite your natal Mercury (though the opposition is by sign only, the Sun's change of sign is itself significant). Trines are 'easy' aspects, but sometimes 'easy' is not what you want. A rapid degeneration in your health is definitely not something you want.

Perhaps the good indications were that transiting Venus, ruler of the Lot, was in exact trine to natal Mercury that day.

Incidentally Medieval Astrology would attribute the lungs to Jupiter. over the period in question Jupiter was transiting Cancer, gradually approaching the square with natal Mercury. The period from the 16th up to 21st March was a Cancer Level 4. So Jupiter's transit was active during the critical days. Jupiter is natally Lord 12, So all three accidental malefics were involved at the crunch, so to speak.

Now |'m sure that that explanation won't shake your faith in Pluto :) :) but from my point of view, it's 'good' to see some confirmatory evidence from a traditional approach. Would I have 'spotted' it in advance, rather than through hindsight? Only if I'd been out there with you and knew you were having health problems. The Mars station is highly significant and whilst it did not station on Lord 6 it was near enough and in the right sign, to at least take note.

From a traditional perspective, mid April doesn't look any better, so take care and be well.

Ronia

Ah no, Minderwiz, I said that transits (!) to the planets in the 8th or including lord 8 will bring health problems "even if lord 6 is not touched" (in general), not that it wasn't involved now, more so my natal Mercury both as lord 6 and traditionally seen as ruler of respiratory system shows problems with it.

Otherwise, I know there will always be indication in the time lords past the event. But they didn't look threatening during all our problems, so again my faith in them is a bit shaken. More so considering that nothing happened when I had active Mercury-Jupiter progression (on top of that they were and still are progressive Asc/Dsc rulers) + active transit Mercury-Jupiter + they were time lords and I think there was a loose of bond. Such a combo doesn't happen often. Did anything happen in real life? Zero. Nada. Ah wait, the cashier in the grocery store may have been extremely nice. LOL

Thanks for the warning though, I can do only that much and all the rest, from one point on, is really fate. Or Pars Fortunae. :)

Mid-April hosts a Full Moon eclipse which will square my natal Moon and as usual in such situations, my maternity will be affected. Getting ready and keeping my eyes open. Squares often bring resolutions for me though, so we'll see.

P.S. I don't think that my faith in Pluto should exclude other methods. When I look for events in a chart I use numerous charts, it's not like I use transits and returns and ignore progressions and solar arc. In my mind astrology is a complex thing, so I don't see why not using all that is available, that's my way. Pluto brings change, a significant one and I've written about this many times here. For example, in a similar situation years ago, Pluto again involved, I went from smoking hard to virtually non smoking. So the whole thing may and not so rarely is beneficial but it comes in such a way that first feels threatening, scary and very disruptive. Sometimes is, sometimes it's just a perception. But the outcome is not necessarily bad.

P.P.S. To me trines are just allowing easy flow of energy, this may be negative energy or an easy implementation of a negative event. I don't see aspects themselves as positive or negative so much as open or barricaded or plainly blocked paths for the energy which is needed for an event to pass. Both positive and negative events . With trines I have had many experiences when they delivered a negative event in an easy and fast way, no restrictions for it to happen with a trine. Interestingly sextiles don'T really work thay way in my chart.