DruidCraft Study Group - King of Swords

Sulis

The King of Swords looks like a thinker to me.

He's sitting on some high ground, pondering his next move.

He doesn't look quite so fierce as his queen yet he still looks like someone who wouldn't be afraid to tell you exactly what he thinks of you, although I think he'd be quite diplomatic about it.

It looks as if the sun is rising behind him - not sure about the meaning of this - maybe it signifies that this guy is always full of new ideas. I'll look forward to reading other folks thoughts on this.

To me the King of Swords represents the Earthy part of the Air suit - I know that this doesn't tally with the views of many...... :)
He's a master of thought, logic and communication and puts his skills to practical use in the real world.
He sometimes has a bit of a problem putting himself in the shoes of others as he is a little incapable of thinking in any way other than with pure logic although the fact that this guy's sword isn't quite held in an upright position makes me think that maybe he's a little more flexible than many Sword Kings.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this card.

Love

Sulis xx

Attachments

• DruidCraft---KIng-of-Swords.gif
    DruidCraft---KIng-of-Swords.gif
    52.7 KB · Views: 503

Cascade

As I looked at this card, I felt like I was being observed with amusement.

I like the feeling of comfort from the blues of the cloak and the plaid pants. I think they're flannel. No reds of emotions for this king, just calm and collected thoughts that come from reasoning and logic. I could approach this kind of king. But I'd better be ready for his piercing eyes and quick wits. and for his sharp tongue if crossed, This king could also hold a grudge.

It looks like his throne is carved from a tree that has grown from the rock. A solid foundation. He does seem more tuned to the Emperor than others.

The top of his head is uncovered.(I noticed that of all the kings in this deck) perhaps to keep it open to all thoughts. How appropriate that the 'crown' is open.

I can't figure his shoes though. They look like they have solid soles, like Tevo brand hiking sandals. Maybe needed to climb the rock. The other Kings have soft-soled boots or shoes. That may be why he doesn't want to walk in their shoes. They're too emotional right down to the soles of their feet.:)

WalesWoman

This King makes me think, Just the bare facts... he's also ready to take action on his thoughts... quickly. I don't know that he'd jump to conclusions, I think he's want to get all the facts and then... once there is no uncertainty, proceed with what ever action he deems right and just. He's not going to be swayed by sentiment... but I wonder if he is a bit of a tender foot... needing more protection than the others. He does have vulnerabilities with movement itself... so perhaps he doesn't like change... wants things to be predicable and clear... nothing to get in the way to cloud or obscure his perceptions.

Enchanted

This King is deep in thought indeed! :) Is it just me or does anyone else see the resemblence between this King and the actor Sam Neill? Sorry but it was one of my first thoughts! :D

There is something with his piercing gaze, he looks not to you but through you. The clouds and all that is behind him seem to disapate with each glance, they withdraw. Clearness of thought prevails but also a feeling of standing alone. For me each time I look at the card the background withdraws and the King on his throne remains. He is strong and forceful, contemplating his next move, like a chess player.

Free Flight

IMHO
He is sitting on the crest of a mountain top high up above mankind. This to me represents his thoughts are not of an earthy nature but concern greater issues than mere day-to day stuff. He is very deep in thought and he looks worried by it all...But i would imagine the King of Swords would always be worried due his mental agility.

The sky illuminated in the background is spectacular but he pays it no heed, he is too deep in thought. For some reason I see the sun as setting in the background but I do not know why.

He is holding his sword up but to me he is not aware of it, he is merely playing with it as his thoughts consume him.

I love his pants- i would wear them :)
His clock is almost a purple which again I feel representative of the spiritual side of him and to me means his thoughts are almost above us all....
As if he were the general in a battle and planning the dance of war beneath him

FaerieStorm

This King/Swords remnids me SO much of Elrond, from Lord of the Rings. His face, posture, hair, and energy really reminds me of him. Actually, Elrond really is a Kind of Swords--literally; I've always associated the Elves with the element of Air because they seem so cool, articulate, and withdrawn. This isn't a bad thing; in fact, it's almost necessary for the Elves because they're immortal--everything's gonna die around them, yet they live on (I'd get cold and withdrawn, too).

Sorry if this isn't very insightful.

Thanks, FS

Enchanted

FaerieStorm said:
This King/Swords remnids me SO much of Elrond, from Lord of the Rings. His face, posture, hair, and energy really reminds me of him. Actually, Elrond really is a Kind of Swords--literally; I've always associated the Elves with the element of Air because they seem so cool, articulate, and withdrawn. This isn't a bad thing; in fact, it's almost necessary for the Elves because they're immortal--everything's gonna die around them, yet they live on (I'd get cold and withdrawn, too).
Oops am I ever red faced!!! :| This is who I meant when I referred this King reminding me of an actor. Hugo Weaving. I always get those two mixed up! :rolleyes:

Absolutely...the first thought I had with this King was that he looked like Hugo Weaving who plays Elrond. I like the correspondences you draw Faerie Storm makes sense to me! :)

WolfSpirit

Once again it strikes me how much the courts in this deck look like one family. The prince of swords looks like the son of the king: same lean looks, sharp chin, straight dark hair. They even have the same colour clothes in blue shades. This is also makes the difference between them clear:
the prince has bronze implements that are not just ornamental, like his shield and helmet; in the king, this becomes bronze jewelry like his big brooch and torc. The prince comes barging in, while the king sits contemplating.
It looks to me he sits "actively" though, he could jump up at any minute and put the deed to his word. Not just a thinker.

On the throne we can see a boar carved in the wood. In the Druid Animal Oracle (that was made by the same team that made the Druidcraft) the boar stands for Warrior Spirit, Leadership, Direction - fitting for a true king.

Sulis

Wolfspirit said:
On the throne we can see a boar carved in the wood. In the Druid Animal Oracle (that was made by the same team that made the Druidcraft) the boar stands for Warrior Spirit, Leadership, Direction - fitting for a true king.

Interesting to know, I'd wondered about the significance of the boar - I don't have the Druid Animal Oracle :)

I love the way the court cards look like real family members too. It's much easier to understand them when you think of them as is they're related (I think so anyway). It's easy to imagine an older, mellower more mature Prince of Swords.

He really does look like the guy from Lord Of the Rings doesn't he?

Sulis xx

Shade

WolfSpirit said:

I believe I also heard that the boar is particularly related to King Arthur (is that in the Druid Animal Oracle, a friend of mine told me that after I encountered a wild pig on a walking meditation and I believe she got it fro there). This would make sense as Arthur is distinguished by his devotion to the rule of law in society (anyon eelse read the once and future king).

His background certainly gives him a sort of limitlessness doesn't it. It creates a sort of juxtaposition of the endlessness of thought and the mental realm with the very real constraints of the physical palne of existence.