Lumina Tarot

Melia

Well, my deck arrived this week. A few cards were glued together, so I'm waiting for the replacements ... no biggie.

The pip cards are very good ... love them. The weakest cards imo are some of the courts, but still highly readable if you pay attention to small details (the few readings I've done to date for others - even with the missing cards - were very on point). The cardstock was just as expected - thick, and not my favourite cardstock at all - but I've loosened them up a little with some shuffling.

... the Charles Manson Hierophant card should be seen as authority outside of the traditional structures ... so it's a different hierophant card from that often seen in many Rider Waite decks, where the 'traditional' is emphasised. I personally like this card ... it's 2016, a time when many people are moving away from the more traditional structures anyway.

The magician card looks nothing like Jesus. For a more scientific view of what Jesus looked like >> http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/

Jesse, from Breaking Bad >> I had no idea who this person was, that I had to google! Yes, I live under a rock. I don't know if the artist based the magician's image on him, but I personally don't see a stark resemblance. It would make little difference though to me, even if there was.

I think the Empress looks like Paris Hilton. The Queen of Pentacles looks a little like Jodhi Meares (ex wife of James Packer, the billionaire now engaged to Mariah Carey).

The Lumina tarot artwork is original and it does have its own, interesting personality. Like all personalities, it has some flaws ... but, it's a very readable deck so far, for me.

Scarlet Woodland

I saw Paris Hilton in the Empress as well, though I'm trying very hard to unsee it... also saw Scarlet Johanson in the High Priestess, which I'm fine with.

skyfiery

I bought this deck because the pips are utterly lovely but the courts and majors...I can't connect with the people used.

I'm so tempted to mix the majors and courts of the Wild Unknown with the pips from the Lumina into one single deck to use. Although, with the card stock being so different, they'd definitely show up clearly and I'll know what type of card I'll be pulling...

Daemon Lover

Just been on the decks site and it has sold out 😮.

Citrin

I follow Inner Hue on instagram and there’s been some controversy lately where someone found a photo online when doing a random search, and it’s a model looking exactly like the woman in The Moon card from the Lumina. You can see Inner Hue addressing it, it’s the photo that is one day old showing the card held up next to the image found online (instagram.com/innerhue).

So she’s now admitting that some of the cards are based on fashion photographs. I can’t say I care that much, but a lot of people seem a bit upset that she hasn’t given credit to the photographers nor the models…

Just thought some people might want to know.

illyria

I follow Inner Hue on instagram and there’s been some controversy lately where someone found a photo online when doing a random search, and it’s a model looking exactly like the woman in The Moon card from the Lumina. You can see Inner Hue addressing it, it’s the photo that is one day old showing the card held up next to the image found online (instagram.com/innerhue).

So she’s now admitting that some of the cards are based on fashion photographs. I can’t say I care that much, but a lot of people seem a bit upset that she hasn’t given credit to the photographers nor the models…

Just thought some people might want to know.

Thanks for the heads-up, Citrin. I can't say I'm affected all that much either, but then it was obvious to me that the drawings were based on real people—some, famous. I think that we all expect artists and creatives to exercise due diligence when it comes to things like these, but in reality, crediting one's inspiration isn't a foremost consideration, especially nowadays, in the age of social media.

I'm glad, however, that people still remain vigilant, and there's a check and balance that occurs when lapses are carefully noted and respectfully communicated. I see this as an opportunity for learning.

chorphee

What I like about the Wild Unknown is the absence of people and the use of colors and lines (at least for the first edition...).

With the Lumina I see a wanna be WU and I guess it's pretty clever regarding the success the deck has. But in my opinion with the addition of "beautiful people" and use of colors it lacks the wildness and chiliness I liked in the WU.

In a way I tried to like this deck...because it's pretty and I love decks...and sometimes I like to have a pretty deck...:D But I don't feel a connection with the people on the cards (and the emperor with the hipster style seems to have no soul, he tells me "I will cut you in little pieces and laugh inside about it")...and what about the ace of pentacles? So different from the other cards! Nice but I think my Zombie tarot has the same design.

But as It has sold out, I don't have to hesitate anymore :D...unless an obvious second edition.

rylla

I have the Lumina and if I don't look at the cards with too critical eyes overall it works well for reading for me. (there are other much famous decks that don't)

Maan

This deck seems to attract lots of harsh judgment and i am not sure why. It has its falts but not more or less then other recently published decks. I myself really like it and i dont feel or see much simmilarities with the wild unknown.
So i keep wondering what it us about this deck. Maybe the hopes were to high because of the excellent oracle?
For me it feels like it gets a harsher judgment then warrent and it does not feel fair.

Citrin

This deck seems to attract lots of harsh judgment and i am not sure why. It has its falts but not more or less then other recently published decks. I myself really like it and i dont feel or see much simmilarities with the wild unknown.
So i keep wondering what it us about this deck. Maybe the hopes were to high because of the excellent oracle?
For me it feels like it gets a harsher judgment then warrent and it does not feel fair.

I think this is because of hype. When a deck gets a lot of hype it also gets a lot of opinions thrown its way, and some of them are bound to be negative. Look at the WU when it was the most popular; people were saying it was hipster, shallow, flat, not enough traditional, too minimalist, too immature looking, only created to make money, etc etc... So while a hyped up deck has a big group of fans (the Lumina is all over instagram being praised left to right!), it also gets its "haters". ;)