Lumina Tarot

Winterchild

While at first glance I thought it looked very Wild Unknowny and felt a bit soured by this because I love the WU, and it is unique, I see now it is quite different... I have had no time to look properly as I am caring for a 2 year old 24/7 and have already had some deck casualties, but it is a different vibe.

Nothing is new, not ever eh?

I saw the fashion photo stuff and while it doesn't bother me, I come from an academic and art background where it is instilled in you to credit every source and I still feel strongly that this is the way to go...

But many collage decks use rubber stamps etc with no alteration, and no credit...so where does it end?

My take is credit credit credit... and if at all possible get permission first... could save a lot of heartache...

slithytoves

I feel like an entitled elitist to even feel the way I do about this deck, but it's like it punched me in the gut. I was originally floored when I saw this deck. It is so beautiful in all of the same ways that made me fall in love with TWU, the pips are perfect and made me feel like I had found my perfect deck. Then I saw the majors and the courts. They remind me of the absolute worst people you run across at Coachella, or sneering at you from behind the rim of their artisan coffee. I saw someone else mention wanting to replace the people's cards with TWU versions, and I had totally thought the same thing. Do people actually do that? Has anyone here successfully combined decks before in a useable way?

katey

I feel like an entitled elitist to even feel the way I do about this deck, but it's like it punched me in the gut. I was originally floored when I saw this deck. It is so beautiful in all of the same ways that made me fall in love with TWU, the pips are perfect and made me feel like I had found my perfect deck. Then I saw the majors and the courts. They remind me of the absolute worst people you run across at Coachella, or sneering at you from behind the rim of their artisan coffee. I saw someone else mention wanting to replace the people's cards with TWU versions, and I had totally thought the same thing. Do people actually do that? Has anyone here successfully combined decks before in a useable way?

I feel similarly. The art is undeniably beautiful and I adored the pips, but the people were all so perfect and preppy I just couldn't identify with them at all. I also wish the author had referenced the images in the book. It felt almost as if the book and the deck had been created independently. I know people love it, and I can appreciate why, but there were just too many deal breakers evident in this deck for me to enjoy working with it.

I kind of hope they make another one with less humans or more relatable, realistic people.

Winterchild

I feel similarly. The art is undeniably beautiful and I adored the pips, but the people were all so perfect and preppy I just couldn't identify with them at all. I also wish the author had referenced the images in the book. It felt almost as if the book and the deck had been created independently. I know people love it, and I can appreciate why, but there were just too many deal breakers evident in this deck for me to enjoy working with it.

I kind of hope they make another one with less humans or more relatable, realistic people.

Haha I thought some of the people were plain weird with outsized heads... and just fugly... it helps to look on them as aliens from another planet entirely I found.... but yeah they ruin the deck. Anyway I think it will probably not be reprinted in it's current state, as there have been printer issues, plus all this slightly distasteful courts issue...

Mariqueen

I follow Inner Hue on instagram and there’s been some controversy lately where someone found a photo online when doing a random search, and it’s a model looking exactly like the woman in The Moon card from the Lumina. You can see Inner Hue addressing it, it’s the photo that is one day old showing the card held up next to the image found online (instagram.com/innerhue).

So she’s now admitting that some of the cards are based on fashion photographs. I can’t say I care that much, but a lot of people seem a bit upset that she hasn’t given credit to the photographers nor the models…

Just thought some people might want to know.

Clearly you are not an artist. A ton of artists, especially when drawing real people, use images for reference to get the anatomy right or at least somewhat realistic. It's ridiculous to expect an artist to credit a photograph where they simply used it as a reference for something they created on their own. It would be different if they used the image in a copy/paste style, but the deck is hand drawn and painted. It's like the whole Dame Darcy/Mermaid Tarot debate all over again. Become and artist and try not to use any image for reference and come back to me.

If she would’ve just thrown in maybe 2-3 more average weight women, and perhaps one who isn’t around 22 years old, this deck would be a no-brainer to me, I’d buy it in an instant! The coloring is gorgeous and I really like her Connected and Free Oracle.

I don’t think the skinny people would bother me using this deck in readings, but I feel hesitant supporting something I don’t really agree with 100%... I’ve had my own weight struggles for 20 years, sometimes on the verge of ED, and I’m finally starting to hmm almost accept that I’m never gonna weigh 95 pounds (and still be healthy). I don’t want thoughts about weight interrupting my spiritual practice. Maybe I’m overreacting though... I'm gonna give it a couple of months thinking before I decide on it. A lot of people are loving it on YouTube and Instagram so maybe it's less distracting seeing it in real life. :)

How old are you? When I was in my teens up until i was around 21, I never got above 100lbs. Not because I starved myself or had any sort of eating disorder, it just my high metabolism. Now at 27, I'm around 108lbs and I feel healthier and better about my body now than I did in my younger years. I'm also about 5'3". 95lbs would be considered underweight for anyone who is 5' and taller and trust me, looking like a drug addict is not a look to strive for.

Citrin

How old are you? When I was in my teens up until i was around 21, I never got above 100lbs. Not because I starved myself or had any sort of eating disorder, it just my high metabolism. Now at 27, I'm around 108lbs and I feel healthier and better about my body now than I did in my younger years. I'm also about 5'3". 95lbs would be considered underweight for anyone who is 5' and taller and trust me, looking like a drug addict is not a look to strive for.

I'm almost 29. I don't have, and I'll never have, the metabolism to weigh around 100 pounds and be healthy. I absolutely respect and understand that others are at that weight naturally, perfectly healthy, but for me - no, I would have to starve myself. Media is obsessed with skinny women and I feel that my spiritual practice, heavily relying on tarot, gives me a great break from that. I don't really want media's "ideal woman" to enter my tarot world...

With that said, I have the deck now though (it was gifted to me) and I'm happy to say that the skinny model people don't bother me that much haha it really did help to see them as some sort of aliens and not real "people". ;)

skyfiery

A 2nd edition of the deck was released somewhat recently. Would anyone happen to know what the difference is between the first and second editions?

Citrin

A 2nd edition of the deck was released somewhat recently. Would anyone happen to know what the difference is between the first and second editions?

She re-did some of the cards. The High Priestess is now an older lady in modern hipster clothes, The Sun (which lots of people loved!) is different, and then some minor changes in hmm 2 of Pentacles, Maiden of Pentacles, Wheel of Fortune... I don't have it myself so can't show you, but I've seen some photos on Instagram, so maybe try looking there under the hashtag "luminatarot"?

It's also a little smaller and doesn't come in the same box that the first deck did.

I'm quite glad I have the first edition because the changes have not impressed me at all.

skyfiery

She re-did some of the cards. The High Priestess is now an older lady in modern hipster clothes, The Sun (which lots of people loved!) is different, and then some minor changes in hmm 2 of Pentacles, Maiden of Pentacles, Wheel of Fortune... I don't have it myself so can't show you, but I've seen some photos on Instagram, so maybe try looking there under the hashtag "luminatarot"?

It's also a little smaller and doesn't come in the same box that the first deck did.

I'm quite glad I have the first edition because the changes have not impressed me at all.

Thank you, Citrin. I'd been trying to Google up or Youtube up images of the new or changed cards. I messaged her asking about the changes but funnily enough, she chose not to answer my questions.

I have the first edition too, and because it's been so frequently used by me, I was wondering whether to purchase the second edition. But I'll head over to Instagram to check the changes out like you suggested.