The Alchemical Tarot: Renewed Four

agviz

Hi swedishfish! I am still thinking about this deck, so yes your pictures are very helpful! Thanks so much for posting them; there's something about seeing a photo of cards rather than scans that adds context and gives a more realistic impression. This is definite food for thought. Again, thanks!

swedishfish612

Hi swedishfish! I am still thinking about this deck, so yes your pictures are very helpful! Thanks so much for posting them; there's something about seeing a photo of cards rather than scans that adds context and gives a more realistic impression. This is definite food for thought. Again, thanks!

I completely agree; that's why I hoped to see some before I bought it myself! I'll be honest, I want both the 4th edition and the 3rd...I like this deck enough to have both, and see myself switching between the two when I'm in the mood for one or the other. I will probably pick up a backup of the 4th edition soon. I think the backs are awesome, too.

MoonGypsy

agviz- I saw this thread today and realized I completely forgot to post photos! I'm so sorry...I'm hoping you believe in better late than never? lol

These were taken on my back porch, with decent sunlight!

Love the soft vintage like colors, but those white borders have GOT to go. :p

MissChiff

I think The men in Robert Places decks have the most sexy legs....

1Eleven

Seems this would be a pretty easy fix if you don't mind ditching the round corners!

1Eleven

Seems this would be a pretty easy fix if you don't mind ditching the round corners!

agviz

Mine arrived today and I like it a lot. I agree with the color observation Serapis made: it's not better or worse than the third edition, just different. Comparing it side-by-side with the third, I would say I like some cards better in this new edition, and some cards better in the third. Just my choice of color I guess. Unlike Serapis, I didn't find the card stock that much different, just a bit more glossy in this latest edition.

Regarding those white borders, are they good or bad? They didn't strike me as detrimental as I thought they would. Perhaps it's because the line element of the artwork - being as clear and concise as Robert Place's lines so often are - retains a contemporary feeling to the work despite the new color scheme. This doesn't feel like a genuinely old deck, but a new deck with a sepia sentiment. Maybe that's why those white borders don't feel out of place.

I am pleased with this creation even if I wouldn't call it a mandatory addition to my collection and I look forward to reading with it.

swedishfish612

Happy to read your thoughts on the deck, agviz!

As someone who just received a copy of the Alchemical Renewed, 3rd edition, I will say that between the 2, I prefer the 3rd edition. It's just my personal preference to have the color vs. a more muted/sepia palette. I prefer the backs of the 4th edition, though.

Despite my saying this, I'm happy I have a copy of the 4th edition, and even plan on buying a backup! lol

Farzon

seems I am the last one to receive my deck!

Despite the vanishing of the first parcel, the second one made it through! It´s a great deck, I like it a lot. I know thee Sevenfold mystery is some sort of a rework and reinterpretation, but the feeling of the decks is very different. The Alchemical has a very medieval touch to it.

And I love the reduced background colour. It reminds me of the Waite-Smith Centennial´s reduced and washed-out coulours. But I think I prefer the Sevenfold´s Knights to the Alchemical´s.