S-L-E-E-P whisperer

Bonny

Evening!

The most precious part to my health is eluding me - S-L-E-E-P...

I tend to wake up shortly after going to sleep.
My pattern is to then open up AT and this means questions and processing - not very restful.

I have a large amethyst cave in the corner of my bedroom. I put it there to bring healing sleep. Is this a good idea?
I have taken some kava as this is a natural relaxant - this doesn't really work. Milk, almonds, banana, vanilla, baths at night, reading...none of them work.
Hypnosis/programming sounds like it could work. I am an energetic healer, so I am convinced.
Does anyone have any worthwhile youtube or iTunes links for this?
Am just after a workable, 'surround-sound' approach that equates to a 'sleep whisperer' to help my mind stay at rest all through the night. Healing? Bring it on!!!!!!!!
B:)

Barleywine

I sometimes have the same problem. Back in 1967 I was in NYC at a peace march, where a group of Hari Krishna people were chanting an "om shanti" (manta for peace) as they marched. Every since that time, when I can't get back to sleep, I revolve that mantra silently in my mind, excluding all other thoughts, and I'm back to sleep in a couple of minutes. Here's a link with some information. You can probably find youtube videos with examples.

http://archives.amritapuri.org/bharat/mantra/shanti.php

Bonny

I sometimes have the same problem. Back in 1967 I was in NYC at a peace march, where a group of Hari Krishna people were chanting an "om shanti" (manta for peace) as they marched. Every since that time, when I can't get back to sleep, I revolve that mantra silently in my mind, excluding all other thoughts, and I'm back to sleep in a couple of minutes. Here's a link with some information. You can probably find youtube videos with examples.

http://archives.amritapuri.org/bharat/mantra/shanti.php

Thanks Barleywine!

This is really thoughtful and generous of you to post this for me!
Yes, the hare krishna chants are timeless and they seem to get to a deeper level so I will try that - great idea! I will go ahead and look for the youtube videos.
Thank-you!!

Tanga

My remedies for sleep trouble are:

1) Drink several cups of Chamomile or Valerian tea (or take a heavy dose of valerian tincture in water).
Then bundle myself up into a warm bed (hot water bottles or heating pad) and put on my favourite sleep CD - "Gentle rain". Basically the repetitive sound of rainfall. If I listen to it closely and remember my childhood nights of sitting on the patio bundled in a warm coat, watching the rain storms (with both dogs at my side) - I'm soon asleep.
"Sounds of the sea" (seaside waves on the shore) also works well.

2) Soak in a hot bath full of epsom salts and chamomile flowers, with lavender and chamomile in an oil burner. Then bundle into bed.

3) I may also repeat a mantra over - like Barleywine.
My present favourite is to Green Tara:
"On Tare, Tu tare, ture Soha"

[Om and salutations to Tara (The Star) in her 3-fold role of Saviouress.
1) Tare - protects against natural disasters
2) Tutare - protects from the spiritual dangers of the 3 vices = greed/attatchement,
anger/hatred, and ignorance/delusion.
3) Ture - delivers us from the narrow conception that enlightenment is just about freedom from our own suffering - it is also about having compassion for others.]

4) One melatonin tablet half-an-hour before bed also does the trick.
It's not available over-the-counter in this country though.

5) I wouldn't associate Amethyst particularly with sleep - more with psychic development, and all sorts of things to do with "vision beyond 3d". For sleep I immediately think of blue lace agate. A pale blue and white stone. Or - Celestite (Celestine?) - this one is glassy pale blue and makes me think "Calling all Angles now!".

6) Also - have you tried "programming" yourself? My father taught me this (All Sacred rest him now - he's long dead).
Whilst you're falling asleep - say to yourself over and over "I will sleep well tonight and have good dreams" - or something along those lines (in effect it becomes a mantra).
In this way I learned to program my lucid dreams (and back then - it gave me control over re-curring nightmares).

7) Or - read a favourite novel (I have a selection of favourites for this). It has to be something you like - but not something that you're so glued to, that you "can't" put it down :)

Bonny

My remedies for sleep trouble are:

1) Drink several cups of Chamomile or Valerian tea (or take a heavy dose of valerian tincture in water).
Then bundle myself up into a warm bed (hot water bottles or heating pad) and put on my favourite sleep CD - "Gentle rain". Basically the repetitive sound of rainfall. If I listen to it closely and remember my childhood nights of sitting on the patio bundled in a warm coat, watching the rain storms (with both dogs at my side) - I'm soon asleep.
"Sounds of the sea" (seaside waves on the shore) also works well.

2) Soak in a hot bath full of epsom salts and chamomile flowers, with lavender and chamomile in an oil burner. Then bundle into bed.

3) I may also repeat a mantra over - like Barleywine.
My present favourite is to Green Tara:
"On Tare, Tu tare, ture Soha"

[Om and salutations to Tara (The Star) in her 3-fold role of Saviouress.
1) Tare - protects against natural disasters
2) Tutare - protects from the spiritual dangers of the 3 vices = greed/attatchement,
anger/hatred, and ignorance/delusion.
3) Ture - delivers us from the narrow conception that enlightenment is just about freedom from our own suffering - it is also about having compassion for others.]

4) One melatonin tablet half-an-hour before bed also does the trick.
It's not available over-the-counter in this country though.

5) I wouldn't associate Amethyst particularly with sleep - more with psychic development, and all sorts of things to do with "vision beyond 3d". For sleep I immediately think of blue lace agate. A pale blue and white stone. Or - Celestite (Celestine?) - this one is glassy pale blue and makes me think "Calling all Angles now!".

6) Also - have you tried "programming" yourself? My father taught me this (All Sacred rest him now - he's long dead).
Whilst you're falling asleep - say to yourself over and over "I will sleep well tonight and have good dreams" - or something along those lines (in effect it becomes a mantra).
In this way I learned to program my lucid dreams (and back then - it gave me control over re-curring nightmares).

7) Or - read a favourite novel (I have a selection of favourites for this). It has to be something you like - but not something that you're so glued to, that you "can't" put it down :)

~~~~~

These are beautiful offerings!!

I feel so supported and encouraged with this range of wisdom and the way the elements of rain and water that soothe and wash us into calmness is so right.
I appreciate all the memories and the teachings that you have shared with such intention to restore this for me.

The valerian sounds like a great idea.
I feel like I have a shopping list now - this is excellent!
The ocean sounds I have now - in fact I can hear them now. Like you, I used to have recurring nightmares so the internal programming is a must I see. What a wonderful assistance you have given me!!
The amethyst might actually be awakening me further - As I think about and pray for others at night so perhaps the third eye is not quietening??
The Buddhist (or is it Hindu?) chant is beautiful and I will make this part of my ritual.
Melatonin sounds like a great help ... We have it here - I have used it to help after flying to countries in other time zones ...
I am very very heartened that you would pass these on for me!!

Thank you!!!

danieljuk

try moving the crystal out of the room, is sleep improved? I think we all react differently to crystals. Experiment with it further away to see if things are better or not.

crystals to help sleep:

- rose quartz (calm emotions, matters of the heart, etc)
- green calcite
- the gentle (pastel) coloured stones and gems.

I know people here have better ideas about calming stone suggestions than me and there is lots of old threads of calming down ideas with stones :)

Finally check the room, a friend of mine is obsessive about electricity. she switches off everything in the room when sleeping, no alarm clocks and especially no mobile phones on. She claims they interfere. I do turn my phone to airplane mode next to my bed at night. Watch for light sources like phone screen, tv screen, the light of electric screens is so wakening for brain signals. You need a dark room. They now say you should try to avoid looking at screens 1 to 2 hours before bed! you can download apps and tools which remove some of the white light on screens before bed, my phone has that and goes more orangery at night. Try to have times away from screens, they are so stimulating! Read a book! listen to relaxing music. Finally watch the caffeine drinks in the hours before bed.

Bonny

You guys have the best recommendations - Daniel I just took the amethyst out of the room and I feel more relaxed . It's like a person has gone out or something.. I don't understand that.
Thanks for the tips about the pastel ones - I will check archived threads for info on relaxing and sleeping tips!
Yes the electricity is all off and I will make these changes regarding the phones because they are DEFINITELY mucking with my brain.
How awesome does that sound? No screens for an hour before or so. Terrific idea. Reminds of living on a farm for a while when at uni... There was a log fire that stayed on for six months of the year as it was a freezing cold place. No tv. Just conversation. Very good sleep that year!
Thank you for these - again, a great addition for my new rituals and shopping list!
Very much welcome and appreciated !!!!

B:) ... The rose Quartz is great - actually I have found that has worked before...
Would you place under pillow?

danieljuk

I have stones on my bedside table but you could put under the pillow!

you never know what reaction you will have to a crystal or gem. For example I think I am possibly the only person on all of AT to react to Rose Quartz! it's so gentle! It made me feel unwell holding it, I think because I had huge emotional issues at that time. I kept it away from me (and away from me sleeping) and held it for short periods of time daily and put it over my heart chakra. Over time I am no longer sensitive to it and I feel emotionally in a different place! So maybe amethyst is causing some healing in you which is keeping you awake! So perhaps hold it daily but do not have it near you sleeping, it's stimulating you! The weird thing is that amethyst is a great insomnia stone :) But like I say I think any crystal can react with us and we should take a note of when that happens :)

I envy the log fire, but I couldn't live without the internet and a screen these days :D

Tanga

...The Buddhist (or is it Hindu?) chant is beautiful and I will make this part of my ritual.
Melatonin sounds like a great help ... We have it here - I have used it to help after flying to countries in other time zones ...
I am very very heartened that you would pass these on for me!!

Thank you!!!

It is both Buddhist and Hindu.
Om tare tuttare ture svaha - Buddhist
Om tare tu tare ture soha - Hindu
You are welcome :)

I know people here have better ideas about calming stone suggestions than me and there is lots of old threads of calming down ideas with stones :)

Finally check the room, a friend of mine is obsessive about electricity. she switches off everything in the room when sleeping. ...They now say you should try to avoid looking at screens 1 to 2 hours before bed! Finally watch the caffeine drinks in the hours before bed.

Yes. I had my curtains lined with 'black-out' cloth so my room is properly dark when sleeping (I live in a city - there's always lights on - though luckily I'm on a hill, so I still get to see stars on clear nights).
My sister-in-law solves this by using an eyemask (y'know like the ones you get on airplanes).
Electrosmog does also have a huge effect - some are more sensitive to it than others.
Some people are even sensitive to geopathic energies and find that sleeping with one's head pointing in the south-east corner is best (don't know why).

Also - if your bedroom is cluttered - all that clutter could be messing with your mind.
[ :) :joke: - here I really laugh because my bedroom is chocablock at the back, with a shelf full of esoteric books. And there's nowhere else I'll put them - so, that's that (until the day I have more space ofcourse).
It's also full of teddybears - and on one wall, full of all sorts of pictures of Deities and other "Spiritual paraphernalia" - including my own painting of my Patron Deity].

And as well as caffeine - avoid sugar before bed, or eating heavily.

Bonny

Yes, I had been away from my amethyst for a few years as had been overseas and a family member had it in their living room. Now since I have taken it, that family member has not been well... And I am feeling overwhelmed with the energy so I will take it back there soon! Maybe there's a new home there the amethyst liked?! Maybe there's a connection with my family member who's still connecting with it perhaps?
In a way it might've been at the centre of our family as it was in central part of family living room...
Yes that sounds great, to place stones on bedside table ... I will arrange that! Like touch stones.
I don't have my rose quartz here where I am and the other night reached for it semi awake, so that's a confirmation right there!
So challenged by the utility of modern technology but the cost to our energetics this seems to be causing. (The log fire was amazing!) :)