My salt lamp is 'dribbling'

The Happy Squirrel

Any idea why.....?

The 'dribbles' look like candle-melt, so they left liquid like trail, but I have never seen them in liquid form if that make sense.... By the time I see it, they are crystalised puddle around the lamp......

I am afraid I am wearing my salt lamp faster than I should.

Have I put a light bulb that is too hot for it? In which case, how can we know what is not too hot for a salt lamp?

Thanks in advance guys :)

pink daliha

Hey Happy Squirrel, I think you need to use a 40 watt bulb or whatever is the lowest wattage for your lamp. It probably is running too hot. Just use a night light bulb if possible and it shouldn't be giving off any more crystals.

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks Pink Dahlia.

Do you mean the highest is 40 watt?

pink daliha

The 40 is low, but you can also buy a 25 watt which is even lower. You might actually try a 25 watt if you can find it. That will give off a very soft glow. I think its recommended that you don't use higher than 40 (I don't remember where I read that), but it sounds right to me.
Are there recommendations or instructions that came with your lamp? Check those as well if you can.
Google Himalaya Salt Lamps- First result I got had a FAQ page when I typed recommended wattages.

The Happy Squirrel

The packaging is long gone.... :(
But what you said makes total sense. I knew the bulb was too hot I just don't know where to start with what lower wattage to try next. So I think your suggestion is a start.
And of course Google-ing is always a good idea :)

jolie_amethyst

Humidity is the major cause of sweating salt lamps. From one site, http://www.himalayansaltshop.com/salt-lamp-questions-1.html

Small and Medium lamps (4-10 lbs) use any 15 watt candelabra base.

The large lamps (approx 11-20 lbs) use a 25 watt bulb.

Bigger Lamps (20-200 lbs) require 40-60 watt bulbs

Your lamp should be warm to the touch. If not, Step up to the next higher wattage.

If your lamp sweats or drips salt water, increase bulb wattage to the next higher range.

For reference, my small lamp came with a 15 watt bulb.

This site explains most clearly the issue and what to do about it: http://www.rocksaltlamps.com.au/care/

Padma

Thanks for starting this thread, Happy Squirrel - I have the same problem with mine. I put a dish under it...I finally realized it was sucking moisture from the household air (I live in a very humid place, and even with AC, there is a problem with house humidity). After all, they *are* made of salt! ;)

Jolie_Amethyst, thanks for posting the links, I will check them out! I am inclined to think it IS the humidity, because my lamp is not turned on very often, so I don't think the low-watt bulb is the problem...

The Happy Squirrel

Humidity is the major cause of sweating salt lamps. From one site, http://www.himalayansaltshop.com/salt-lamp-questions-1.html

For reference, my small lamp came with a 15 watt bulb.

This site explains most clearly the issue and what to do about it: http://www.rocksaltlamps.com.au/care/

My lamp is definitely small (it was the smallest in the store anyway) about the size of a soccer ball I think (it is not round though).

My place is VERY dry, wooden furniture cracks in this place it is that dry!

It says if it drips salt water or sweat increase to higher wattage i.e. needs more heat?
This isn't so much sweating as melting.... If that makes sense?
No liquid of any kind, just crystalised dribbles..... Like candle melting around itself when lit, but without the liquid phase (or I have never seen it anyway).

Will look at those links! Thanks!

Zephyros

Try an energy saving fluorescent bulb. They're usually spiral shaped and come in a variety of colors (fluorescent lamps used to be these white, horrible things with awful light but that's history). They use far less electricity than normal bulbs and don't become as hot. They use something like fifteen per cent electricity of a normal bulb without compromising the amount of light shed, and they last forever.

I think there are also LED lights that can fit inside a normal bulb housing. That's more expensive but very energy efficient and emits almost no heat at all.

The Happy Squirrel

Try an energy saving fluorescent bulb. They're usually spiral shaped and come in a variety of colors (fluorescent lamps used to be these white, horrible things with awful light but that's history). They use far less electricity than normal bulbs and don't become as hot. They use something like fifteen per cent electricity of a normal bulb without compromising the amount of light shed, and they last forever.

I think there are also LED lights that can fit inside a normal bulb housing. That's more expensive but very energy efficient and emits almost no heat at all.

Will try that too. I think my current gut feel and logical conclusion given all the facts surrounding this at the moment is that my light bulb is too hot.....