My salt lamp is 'dribbling'

The Happy Squirrel

Something else is a possibility:

The pages seem to suggest that in high humidity environment, and when the lamp is sweating, what you need is a higher heat light bulb inside the salt lamp.

As it is very dry and often cold at my place, a light bulb which emanates lower temperature might solve this problem, because it will reduce the humidity differential between the area inside and outside the lamp.

So it is possible that it is a simple matter of condensation, but in my case, the sweating is on the inside! (Because the temperature inside the lamp is significantly higher than that on the outside). Which is why I never see any liquid dribbling and only notice them once they leaked out and crystallized....

We shall see if we can reject or accept this hypothesis :)

Will report back.

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks for starting this thread, Happy Squirrel - I have the same problem with mine. I put a dish under it...I finally realized it was sucking moisture from the household air (I live in a very humid place, and even with AC, there is a problem with house humidity). After all, they *are* made of salt! ;)

Jolie_Amethyst, thanks for posting the links, I will check them out! I am inclined to think it IS the humidity, because my lamp is not turned on very often, so I don't think the low-watt bulb is the problem...

Haha no worries I was beginning to think that my lamp is the only one behaving in a weird way :D

Laura Borealis

Mine is a candle holder, not a lamp, and I haven't had any problems. (Though it is on a plate just in case.)

I don't know if candle vs lamp would make any difference, but thought I'd throw that out there.

danieljuk

I hope you find a way of stopping it dribbling happy squirrel!
What do salt lamps do? what is their purpose? I realised I have seen them but have no idea what their purpose is! is it for meditation? cleansing the environment? just pretty? :)

The Happy Squirrel

Danieljuk, I bought it initially because I wanted a night light! I thought it was just crystal and not crystal salt. It is also only today that I heard of it being referred to as Himalayan :D Later on I heard it is to help with the production of "negative ion" which is normally produced by (or is it around?) mountains, lakes, waterfalls, rivers, forests, and all that natural, expansive, god made, good stuff.

I have been using it as a night light all this time, even after I found out what it was and licked it just to see :D

But yeah, like Padma said, negative ion :)

It so happens I have placed it next to my computer that I can't seem to tear myself away from :D (they say electronics and other technological stuff produced positive ion, which is NOT good).

Tanga

I got one as a gift from work once. Last unsold in stock.

It dribbled and crystallized in my therapy room. Figured it was the humidity in there when my mum put the washing in to dry - on my days off.
So - I moved it to the lounge.
Dry up there. No dribbling.
Good for the whole family now (sorry clients! :) ).

Have some candle holders too.
Mine are pink. I find the soft colouring with the light shining through so lovely.

danieljuk

thank you Padma and Happy Squirrel for explaining about them! I have seen them and heard of them but didn't know their function, for some reason they just passed me by in life! I will definitely think about one in future for calming and meditative reasons plus the ion benefits!

I used to have an electric ioniser which I notice are less popular and harder to get now. Mine was a black pyramid one and it lived on top of my TV in my bedroom. It had two bad effects though, 1/ if I stroked my then cat on my bed I would randomly get friction shocks a lot! seems to happen often and the cat would turn to look at me puzzled so wonder if she got them too! definitely created that! 2/ it would attract dust to it and I had a black circle around my tv / ioniser all the time! when the room was redecorated there was a dust marks on the wall behind the tv in the paint which was just around it! I threw it away eventually! This sounds a lot better method of doing it and looks pretty :)

sophiastellarum

I live in Florida and have small lamps. If I do not keep a 15 watt bulb running 24-7 in my salt lamps they will melt all over the place. Even then I still have issues with humidity and water collecting in the switch and bulb mechanisms. I also have to replace bulbs quite often. I have replaced the entire mechanism in 2 of my lamps so far this year.

The air conditioner is a must too. I had a candle holder out in my studio and it melted away completely. :(Oh well, live and learn). I keep a lamp in every room in the house and office. Love them. Just high maintenance in a humid climate.

sophiastellarum

Forgot to mention. I keep a large lamp in my treatment rooms( I am a massage therapist) and there is a 75 water in that one. I keep salt tools for massage in it and they get HOT. I only leave that one on when I am there, and as long as it gets turned on every day it is fine. Sometimes it is a bit weepy after a weekend, especially if we have had a lot of rain.