Orange rock ID needed

jolie_amethyst

I really love sandstone that has so many striations of brown in it. I just wish it was more durable. And I love multicolored slate. Now I want to go look at tile.

"Honey, why are we redoing the entryway?" "See, I was researching sandstone after a conversation on Aeclectic..." :joke::joke::joke::joke:

No, I agree with you that normal sandstone is not manmade, it's just too soft to tumble easily--which is the fastest way to polish rock. So there's no profitable way to make it shiny in small pieces like these, which makes it tough to believe that's what they are. Certainly some sandstone has a bit of sparkle here and there. I may just ping the vendor (who actually is a mine owner, the importer of bulk stones, & tumbles these themselves) and ask if they know what this is--if they come back with "sandstone", I will definitely be sure to let you know you were right!

Sorry to say, after a LOT of looking around, "Sirius Sandstone" appears to be yet another marketing name for goldstone, same as "golden sandstone". You won't find it on any minerology or even metaphysical sites--only on sites like etsy, ebay, and a couple wholesalers out of Asia. All images are also all in bead shapes, no natural formations at all. (The closest thing to natural shapes I can find under that title are for the two images from this page, which Google has already indexed as being linked to that term!) It's not a natural stone, as near as I can tell, and every pic I see looks exactly like, well, goldstone. Which isn't to say it doesn't have its own set of properties, as some do feel certain energies from goldstone, but others find it useless from that standpoint. I think it's pretty enough for jewelry, but have no expectations for help from it energetically. Anyway, there's simply zero evidence to be found from any reliable source that says Sirius Sandstone is a natural, wholly Earth-grown material. I hope your crystal friends didn't get cheated by someone who claimed it was mined.

It's kind of amazing and appalling to me how many deceptive practices there are in marketing these things...manmade being sold as mined, heated & irradiated stones being sold as unaltered & completely natural, extremely common crystals being given a fancy new name and "mystical" backstory (often trademarked) & sold as something different, enhanced stones being passed off as more expensive versions of a gemstone. I'm all for making & selling some of these pretty new stones because some are gorgeous, but for pity's sake, why can't they just be honest about it? I swear sometimes that crystal energy and crystal healing would be taken more seriously if it weren't for all the fakes being passed off as something they aren't.

Whoops...hit a hot button there, sorry. But hey, now I'm thinking about some remodeling I need to do that sandstone might just fit. My husband probably won't be happy about that. And here he thought the only financial risk to me hanging out here so much was a few more crystals and a couple of pricey decks!

nord_drache

I did a quick google check under images . . .
could it be an orange agate, the crystal bible does quote it out of Africa and brazil ?
Just my guess to muddy the waters a little :)

Jim

jolie_amethyst

I did a quick google check under images . . .
could it be an orange agate, the crystal bible does quote it out of Africa and brazil ?
Just my guess to muddy the waters a little :)

Jim

LOL...yeah, I'm thinking I may have resign myself to not knowing. There's a few too many possibilities at the moment. Didn't have the chance to email the vendor today, but I will still try that soon, and I may post pics up elsewhere to see if maybe a wider audience can figure it out. Obviously I'll update here if I find out anything. :)

jolie_amethyst

We have a verdict!

I took both the orange and green mystery rocks with me to a local rock and gem shop today and asked for an opinion. Final verdict: peach (or orange) aventurine. They had some pretty tumbled red aventurine there that looked similar, just with bolder, darker colors and a bit more variegation, and their tumbled green aventurine looked exactly like the bag I'd also brought with me. :joke:

So, at least now we know! It's a bit of a drive to get down there, but they were gladly helping other people label out their random rock piles, so I might bring a few more things with me next time.