Would these crystals be good for anything?

Esther

Years ago, my grandma gave me this box set with information about minerals and crystals (like, scientific information), and it came with some labeled samples in bags. For instance, there's a little hematite. All in all, there are 20 stones, though I don't think all of them would be suitable for use.

I don't really know much about crystals, or where to get them, but I'd kind of like to learn. I was wondering what kind of condition crystals need to be in order to use them, and if the ones in my case sound usable. My concern is that I don't really know much about them (crystals in general, or these particular ones, like, if they're meant to be taken out of their little bags or not), and I'm a little worried about negative energy (my grandma isn't really a beacon of good energy, and I don't know where she got these).

Also, if you don't know of a new age store, is there any other good source of crystals? And what are some good ways for a beginner to learn?

Thanks so much.

Tarotphelia

They should be fine to take out of the bags and use .

You would just need to cleanse them and charge them . There are probably some threads about how to do that right here in the crystal forum , and make sure you take note of the name of each stone and find out what cleansing method is ok to use for it .

If you do a google search on the name of the crystal , you will find websites that can give you information about the metaphysical properties .

I imagine the stones would be glad to get out of the stuffy little bags !

Guiding Cauldron

hematite

that one is a great grounding stone :)

there are loads of info here for cleansing, charging and the general usage , qualities for crystals, stones. Theres loads of books out tehre as well, but most seem to start with the crystal bible for info and ahands on source at home. bless x

wizzle

Your stones will be very useful, especially if they came with gemnological information. Knowing the properties of stones, such as hardness, color, etc is great.

To insure they are "clean" metaphysically, just stick them out in sunshine for a day or two. Voila!! Or under a full moon, if you prefer.

If you are really really worried or if a stone doesn't seem to be responsive, put some salt in a cast iron pan and bury the stone in the salt. Give it a few days. Salt and iron, imo, are about THE best for cleansing and won't harm anything except pearls/mother of pearl and opals. If you need the "deep cleansing" for those gems, just wrap them in plastic before you bury. If you don't have a cast iron pan, add some black pebbles to the salt.

To learn about the metphysical uses of stones, here are some of my fav websites (plus there are plenty of books around). But these sources don't regurgitate the usual tripe.

http://rainbowcrystal.com/
http://www.neatstuff.net/avalon/texts/know-how.html#study
http://www.sobrietystones.com/resources/GemBook/Stones/meanings_gemstones_agate.htm

If you want to learn about the more objective properties of stones, this is a great website

http://www.galleries.com/default.htm

all the best

avw

Esther

Thanks for the tips, guys. Definitely helpful. I thought one or two of the stones might be good, but it looks like most of them have potential.

I took out the hematite, a tiger's eye, a peacock ore, an aventurine, a citrine and a chrysocolla, but there are a few others still in bags that I'm going to look at more closely, including a piece of copper and a geode.

I think I'm going to try cleansing them in sunlight. I already have some good vibes about them, though, particularly the citrine. And one of my cats leapt out of her bed to sniff them, which suggests something, I guess. I'm hoping it's a good sign, since she didn't seem repelled and seemed to like them.

It is handy having the info on the stones. Hardness, etc.

I'm going to the bookstore this weekend, so I'll see if I can find any good books. The websites I've looked at have been pretty helpful so far, though.

Who would have guessed something my grandma gave me would prove of interest after 5+ years?

wumpkie

You were obviously given them for a very good reason :) My mum found some old crystals that she had collected, tucked away in a cupboard which I have now added to my collection. So I feel they must of come into the household for a reason.

Good Luck :)

Sophie

What a wonderful treasure trove! Lucky you :)

Not surprised you felt that about the citrine. It's one of these crystals that don't need cleansing and that doesn't pick up negative energy, but imparts positive vibes.

Some of the stones might not take sunshine too well - do check first. Don't put pyrite in the sun, for example, because it's toxic when heated. Some stones don't take to water either. Just make sure that you follow whatever instructions you can find (plenty online - have a look at some of the recent threads here).

wizzle

good comment fud...

But "heated" in terms of stones is rather a relative term. For any iron compound to be dangerous, it would have to be heated at far higher temps than your regular old cast iron pan. Let's say, um, 1500 degrees farenhite or better. So I seriously doubt any common iron-based stone, hemitite pyrite, etc. is in much danger of giving off any dubious fumes or other issues when placed in sunlight. Otherwise, we'd all busy suing the makers of our cast iron pans here in the US (land of the lawyer).

Is this one of those "melody" or otherwise metaphysical hints??

And as a P.S. I should have said in my original response that ALL stones, no matter how humble, are useful. The one stone I would never give up is a big ugly stone I found in a bag of stones meant to be used at the bottom of pots for plants for drainage. What a bonanza!! I found white quartz, citrine-ish stones plus my fav stone. And back when I lived in LA I collected grainite boulders for my garden on trips to the desert. Stones... you will pardon the expression... rock.

Esther

My main issue with the sunlight thing is mainly the squirrels. I wouldn't trust them alone out there with my stones. Stuff we put outside tends to be destroyed by the squirrels within some amount of time, so it's something I'd prefer to stay away from if I can find a good alternate method that'll work well with all of them.

In terms of stones having negative reaction to heat/sun, does possible past exposure play a role at all?

Sophie

Esther - you can smudge your stones to cleanse them - pass them through a purifying incense (e.g. sage, monkshood, frankincense, sandalwood, pure tobacco, etc. ). Some of the stones can take water - any quartz for instance - so you can rinse them in clear water. Some people bury their stones to cleanse them, but I would wrap them first, because you don't know the chemical composition of your soil and how it might react with some of your stones. You can also use some crystals to cleanse others: citrine, clear quartz and carnelian will cleanse other stones, so put them in contact with the other stones for a few days.

I give reiki to my stones, and find that good cleansing, since it moves away any clogged unpleasant energy.

Actually, wizzle, pyrite is much more sensitive than cast iron ore. I wouldn't put it in water, either - it's toxic.