Five of cups/three of swords

suburbiadaze

I need some outside perspective on the difference between the five of cups and three of swords to help me in my studies. The three of swords has always seemed to me to be about mental anguish and despair because the four of swords is the mind at rest. And the swords deal with the mental state, not matters of the heart as with the cups. The five of cups seems to be more about loss of a relationship. But that can be experienced as similar to despair. As an empath I feel despair and grief the same. This is why I have a hard time distinguishingthe two despite understanding the difference between the suits.
Thank you for any input.

Padma

In the Five of Cups, there is a tender and wistful nostalgia, and even a regret for what has passed, and is gone. There may be a sense of pain, but it is reminiscent and not harsh.

In the Three of Swords, the pain slashes through your heart with immediacy - separation, grief, arguments, alone-ness. Very harsh. Very immediate.

Not at all the same feel - the Five is wistful, the Three is flat out pain. This has been my experience.

If you get the two cards together, that Five and Three, the relationship is pretty much done.

Enlightenment23

Padma explained it perfectly.

I think the 5 of Cups is the aftermath of the 3 of Swords.

The 3 of Swords is harsh information of sorts, for example finding out that your lover has done something heartbreaking, discovering that you failed test, or your boss telling you that you're underperforming at work.

The 5 of Cups, I'd say, often follows that heartbreaking communication offered by the 3 of Swords. A hooded figure (if we're talkin' RWS) wallows in misery, focuses on loss, and feels down on his luck. The 5 of Cups is that dark cloud everyone experiences after learning something disappointing, experiencing loss, or harboring heartbreak.

Padma

Thanks, Enlightenment, I felt you also nailed aspects I missed! Great take :)

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Welcome to Aeclectic, suburbiadaze!

This thread was moved over from Talking Tarot, so if you haven't read the UTC Posting Rules, then please do. Whenever asking for help with card interpretations (whether or not from readings), you need to tell us first what the cards mean to you before anyone else can chime in to help you. As you have not done that, a number of responses have been hidden.

Once you have edited your post to give us your thoughts on those two cards those posts will be returned to view.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Hidden posts have been returned to view.

suburbiadaze

That was extremely helpful. I had an off perception of the five of cups. I'm also now thinking the five of cups could have a positive side where the meaning is letting go of something you no longer need, like a relationship turned sour. I could not previously see how the card could be more neutral.
Thank you.

Padma

I'm also now thinking the five of cups could have a positive side where the meaning is letting go of something you no longer need, like a relationship turned sour.

Absolutely! You've got it now :)

It can also, in a negative sense, be a refusal to come away from the past, or from something perceived as loss. A bit of a wallowing in self-pity card when taken to the extreme.