Swords Suit Symbolism

CharonMonolith

I've spent a good part of the summer pondering the swords; the suit that I struggle with the most. It's ad me thinking a lot about the symbolism in the swords themselves and I'm curious what other symbols people use as a parallel to the swords; I've thought of possibly mouths for aspects of communication but am having trouble finding a parallel symbol for matters of the mind. What other symbols do you associate with the swords?

rwcarter

I've thought of possibly mouths for aspects of communication but am having trouble finding a parallel symbol for matters of the mind. What other symbols do you associate with the swords?
I must not be understanding you. If you see the mouth as representing communication, wouldn't you use the brain for matters of the mind?

Rodney

Thirteen

Quill pens, arrows, radios, telephones, televisions....

What other symbols do you associate with the swords?
In other decks I've seen the Swords presented as quill pens (fathers = air. Writing = communications, the intellect), I've seen them as arrows (trying to get across messages), and I've seen them as televisions in decks with uber-modern symbolism (communications literally over the air). Radios and telephones would also be equally good.

CrystalSeas

In graphic novels and comic books, ideas are often symbolized by the little puffy thought clouds over someone's head

Thirteen

Oh, I've also seen swords symbolized by flying creatures: birds and dragonflies.

Barleywine

I find the idea of the "sword" itself and its more modern ilk perfectly servicable, as an instrument of separation of one thing from another, in the sense of discrimination, discernment, dissection, decision, clarification, ordering, etc. all aspects of critical thinking aimed at separating the true from the false.

CharonMonolith

Ah, the feather pens and arrows are quite clever! I also really like the modern take with the televisions! It's really interesting for me to see it from a different perspective because, when it comes to the swords, it's difficult for me to divorce myself from the way I've already seen it. As for mouth = communication, therefore brain = mind, you're right...it is the obvious answer. I think there's just less poetry to the brain than the mouth, perhaps because he brain is an internal organ. That's sort of an unfair way for me to state that but it feels closest to the truth somehow.

Absynthe

They showed up for me to represent pins, which is quite literal. So could be things like acupuncture, sewing, surgery etc.

CharonMonolith

That's interesting. I had momentarily considered syringes for the scientific aspects but also the physical similarity to swords.