Three of Pentacles in dating spread

Hi, everyone. What are your experiences when dealing with the Three of Pentacles in a relationship/dating reading? I read for a friend over the summer regarding a love interest and the 3P popped up a couple times. I had told her that I thought it could mean team work, compromise, and/or developing the relationship, but as it turns out, it meant a third party. The guy went back to an ex of his. Also, I had it pop up a in some readings for myself and a love interest, and it turned out there was another girl he was seeing.

Has anyone else had similar interpretations? I always thought 3P was mostly positive, and I've read that two or more 'threes' (or a three card and a court card) could indicate a love triangle. In one case, I didn't see an additional 'three' card until later (three of swords and three of pentacles). I also wonder if the meaning of 3P varies based on the types of relationship stages--i.e. just starting out, trying to get back together, or in a committed relationship.

PAMUYA

For me the 3 of Pents is a card of working on things, building with the help of others. For me this is not a love or romance card. Depending on where someone is in any circumstance can change the meaning of any card. Positive or negative is not relevant, the cards are giving you information, your personal emotional reaction my vary at any given time. Being a three, I take this as there is more than one person involved in the situation. This card could indicate this needs work, not a done deal. Of course the surrounding cards and question could bend its energy.

Barleywine

I can't recall ever getting any of the Threes as a "love triangle," although I know it's common to see them that way, and I suppose it can't be discounted out-of-hand. I see the symbolism of the number "3" as a little broader than that, as a "loosening" of the confining boundaries of the Twos in order for growth ro occur, which doesn't have to mean romantic complications in a two-party relationship. That said, there are two ways I might take the 3 of Pentacles as a three-way connection: one as a business partnership of some kind, and the other as a purely physical attraction for the querent (or subject of the reading) that might favor one partner over another. Sounds like you got the latter here.

For me the 3 of Pents is a card of working on things, building with the help of others. For me this is not a love or romance card. Depending on where someone is in any circumstance can change the meaning of any card. Positive or negative is not relevant, the cards are giving you information, your personal emotional reaction my vary at any given time. Being a three, I take this as there is more than one person involved in the situation. This card could indicate this needs work, not a done deal. Of course the surrounding cards and question could bend its energy.

I think I get thrown by the same concept you mention, which is 3P is not a love or romance card. Perhaps in a non-romance situation, it does mean building with the help of others, yet in a romance situation, the team work is taken out of the couple because it's more of a third party influence or distraction.

I can't recall ever getting any of the Threes as a "love triangle," although I know it's common to see them that way, and I suppose it can't be discounted out-of-hand. I see the symbolism of the number "3" as a little broader than that, as a "loosening" of the confining boundaries of the Twos in order for growth ro occur, which doesn't have to mean romantic complications in a two-party relationship. That said, there are two ways I might take the 3 of Pentacles as a three-way connection: one as a business partnership of some kind, and the other as a purely physical attraction for the querent (or subject of the reading) that might favor one partner over another. Sounds like you got the latter here.

I like your point that the three loosens the two so growth can occur. Perhaps it gives the people involved a chance to grow outside of the relationship, since they may need that more than the relationship itself.