EPIPHANY! A New Take on the Major Arcana

Teheuti

nisaba said:
Using a round deck never occurred to me for the 7x3 thingie. How does that work: three circles of seven cards? I'd love to try that.
Given circles of the same size, 6 will fit perfectly around a 7th.

Begin the three separate sets with the Sun, Judgement and World cards. These will form the center of each set.

Then above each and touching what will be the central card, place the Magician, High Priestess and Empress.

To the right of the Magician, place the Emperor, so that it touches both the Magician and the Sun cards. Do the same with the Hierophant (set 2) and Lovers (set 3).

Next place the Chariot below the Emperor and touching the Sun, and continue with all the rest of the cards (except the Fool).

You'll end up with three flower-like circular sets of 6 cards surrounding your original three.

Another interesting thing about this is that cards that are directly across the central card are from the same Lifetime Card group: 18-9, 17-8, 16-7, plus you have 1-19-10, 2-20-11, 3-21-12 reading from top to bottom of each circle set. And the "virtues" 8, 11 & 14 end up right next to each other.

For more exciting things to be discovered see pg. 94 ff (Chapter 9) of my book Tarot Mirrors.

cardlady22

Checking in quickly. I keep vacillating, so I'm going to take my cards up and make copies of the triads with a lot of blank space underneath for jotting down notes.

I think I'm drawn to the Hierophant - Justice - Star first.
Taurus - fixed Earth (my natal Saturn)
Libra - cardinal Air (my natal Uranus & Jupiter)
Aquarius - fixed Air

nisaba

Teheuti said:
Begin the three separate sets with the Sun, Judgement and World cards. These will form the center of each set.

Then above each and touching what will be the central card, place the Magician, High Priestess and Empress.

To the right of the Magician, ...

<races off to nearest table, grabbing the Tarot of the Cloisters as I go>

dangerdork

quickly...

Only have a moment to check in. I'm traveling and don't have my books and notes with me. But the three I am going to start with are the three cards in the Turning Point position - The Hanged Man, Justice and the Wheel of Fortune. Each of these cards will in turn affect further pairs on its own path, so what do these cards have in common and how do they differ?

The Hanged Man, from one perspective, is about, let's say for the sake of argument, a binary shift - the state of Enlightenment is shifted from Off to On. From Zero to One. The querent's world is "turned upside down" and in the realm of the magical/spiritual reversed to a polar opposite.

Justice, to continue with mathematical metaphors, is the zero sum game. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The terms on either side of the equals sign balance out, for every negative a positive must be allotted for, and vice versa.

and the Wheel? lets call it a sine wave. What goes up must come down; as the old song used to go. The important thing is the cycle, the extremes defined and energies vacillating between one and the other.

So in a nutshell we can view the energies of CHANGE in these three cards as (Hanged Man) CHANGE in absolute shift from one pole to the other, (Justice) CHANGE necessary to achieve balance between one pole and another, and (Wheel) CHANGE resulting from the cycle of motion between one pole and another.

Just a quick synopsis, thoughts to be expanded when I get more computer time.

cardlady22

I've pulled these cards from Ciro's Tarot of Dreams.
Faith (Hierophant) - Justice - Star

The first thing that grabbed my attention was the hands. In the Faith card, an old man holds them together in prayer/meditation. In the Justice card, a young man? (whose body is the scale center) holds the trays. Although closed, they turn palm up. In the Star card, an unusual/beautiful woman holds 2 pitchers and pours.

Formal methods bring an encounter or experience. The reactions (inner and outer) force an evaluation. A result is expected.

Now I'm thinking about movement. The figures themselves are not moving, but they are most certainly engaged in doing something.

Why did I settle on words that begin with e? Fifth letter of the alphabet? Digits on the hand. Most common letter.

rwcarter

I've updated the dangerdorkfile up through post 205. As opposed to my original layout, which I didn't like when I just looked at it again, I utilized the "Show Printable Version" function under Thread Tools and then copied and pasted that into Word. Then I added in the images that have been attached to posts but aren't included in the "Show Printable Version" function.

The formatted document is 133 pages long and 3.35MB. I'm happy to send along to anyone who wants one, just PM me your email address.

I've finished posting to the Mythic Tarot Study Group, so now have time to see how a deck with re-ordered Majors fares with the Seven Stations.

Rodney

Yurikome

And here's what's been bugging me, if I may throw in my 2 cents:
if we're talking about the 7 virtues, why are we not talking about the 7 deadly sins? Someone started a topic on this independently:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=144241&page=1&pp=10

Maybe it would fit in with this system?

(other things that have been bothering me pertain to the minors - especially moving the page and knight to the left - tsk!

But an interesting thing on the male-female/active-passive paths: I had my first chance to look at a thoth deck recently and I didn't know the court order, it's different, right? The owner of the deck couldn't remember either, so we checked the LWB and I don't remember the names now, but they were listed in an order that wouldn't require reversing the order of putting them down in the pattern, much better. I don't know much about Crowley's faithfulness to the "original" and what is considered the "original" order in this thread. I also have no idea about the publisher of that deck and the liberties they took with it - wouldn't be surprising if it was a Polish translation and print, but I think it was LS or smth originally western).

KaliAngelKat

Just a Idea

It's not immediately jumping out at me either, but I haven't given up hope yet. I may have to use some of the lesser meanings of the Majors to see if this flows. But it's close to bedtime, so I know it won't happen tonight....

As for the associations of Gods and Goddesses, here ya go:

Fool - Dionysos
Magician - Hermes
Empress - Demeter
Emperor - Zeus
High Priestess - Persephone
Hierophant - Chiron
Lovers - Paris choosing between Hera, Aphrodite and Athena
Chariot - Ares
Justice - Athena
Temperance - Iris
Strength - Hercules
Hermit - Cronos
Wheel of Fortune - the Moirai (Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos)
Hanged Man - Prometheus
Death - Hades
Devil - Pan
Tower - Poseidon
Star - Pandora
Moon - Hecate
Sun - Apollo
Judgement - Hermes
World - Hermaphroditus

Rodney

Pairs was not a god. To keep with the theme of Gods here why not use the Goddess that caused the issue that lead to Paris' choice? The Goddess Eris who set the choice in play because she was not invited to the wedding of Peleus and Thetis?

Kali

rwcarter

Pairs was not a god. To keep with the theme of Gods here why not use the Goddess that caused the issue that lead to Paris' choice? The Goddess Eris who set the choice in play because she was not invited to the wedding of Peleus and Thetis?

Kali
I was listing the people shown on the cards. Eris is not shown on the Lovers card in the Mythic Tarot.

dangerdork

Hello!

I see there was a little activity in here in 2013. You all may be interested to know that I'm putting together a digital book based on the thinking here, and have commissioned a deck to go along with it. We've been working on it for over a year now. I'll keep you all posted with further developments.