Non-scenic RWS pips (split from Impact pf PCS on the RWS deck)

Teheuti

I think I will do them all - the 2s through the 10s, that is. But I'm not sure about the copyright status.
If you work from the black and white images found in Pictorial Key to the Tarot there doesn't seem to be any problem, with selling it in the United States (works from before 1923 are public domain here). There could be a problem in the EU or British Comonwealth.

Laura Borealis

Oh, that's good to know. Thank you.

Laura Borealis

Have a look at the 6 of Cups - I like it with the flowers in, what do others think?

However, leaving the flowers in the 6 of Cups made me question the 7. I don't think the floating heads and what-not should stay. And if they go, maybe the 6's flowers should too.

Also thinking about the wreath on the 6 of Wands.

Should all the minors be stripped down to bare pips?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Cup_6 with flowers.jpg
    Cup_6 with flowers.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Cup 7.jpg
    Cup 7.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 258

Babalon Jones

I think strip it down mostly, but leave a few tantalizing elements. I like the idea of keeping the wreath in the six of wands, but maybe not keeping all the flowers in the cups. Maybe try it with just the flowers in the two upper cups to see?

Teheuti

Ah, but do you leave the face of the skull on the 7 of Cups?

Zephyros

I would strip it all down except for a few choice things. For example the shrouded figure in the center or the lion on the Two of Cups. "Special" symbols that transcend the others in importance. Perhaps that lion shows the essential energy of the suit (Love) and there is another such symbol in one card of every suit. In the Pentacles perhaps it is that Tree of Life on the Ten. Maybe in the Wands it is those two wreaths.

In any case, in the suit of Wands the placement of the rods seem to hint at their placement and degree of stability on the Tree of Life. Same thing with the Swords, where straight swords imply a certain stability while angled ones imply the opposite. The other two suits don't seem to use this technique, but I could be wrong.

In any case I will be extremely interested in seeing the whole thing. This experiment has really made me look at the cards in a completely new light!

Richard

I'm leaning toward the bare pips idea, for a number of reasons.

Teheuti

Ah, there could be several decks (and alternate cards) here.

prudence

I'd like to see both, though I find the idea of leaving in some choice elements very intriguing.

Eremita90

Yes, it would make the deck more Golden Dawn-ish or Thoth-ish :) In the best of all possible worlds I would want both a completely unillustrated version and one with some key elements. However, if I had to choose only one, I would go for one with no illustration except the pips