Sibilla Originale 1890

surpeti

Hello, I just received my copy of this beautiful deck by Il Meneghello. I'm a newcomer to Sibilla and I've already found some helpful threads to start reading with them (thanks all!). But I do have a couple of questions.

To my surprise, the cards themselves have a kind of plastic laminate that makes them stick together and makes them quite hard to shuffle. I'm afraid to get too energetic shuffling the cards since they are beautiful and expensive (especially shipped from Europe). I almost thought maybe I should get a copy of the LoS Everyday Oracle off Amazon to use as my "working copy." I've heard the Everyday is very similar to this deck. But that seems a shame too. I'd like to actually use the Sibilla Originale.

Any suggestions from someone who owns this deck?

Another oddity: The card that shows the deck number of this limited edition says it's deck 1709/1500. I assume that means they did a second run?

Thanks for any info.:)

garmonbozia

I love Il Meneghello decks, but I don't read with them. I keep them pristine to use as reference decks. I personally would get a cheap mass produced deck for daily use.

If you want to use that deck though, I recommend using fanning powder to make sticky laminated decks more useable.

surpeti

Thanks for the advice! So is it true that Everyday Oracle by Lo Scarabeo is more or less the same as the Sibilla Originale? If so it goes in my amazon cart now!

conurelover

Thanks for the advice! So is it true that Everyday Oracle by Lo Scarabeo is more or less the same as the Sibilla Originale? If so it goes in my amazon cart now!

Make sure the one you are getting one from Amazon that says Vera Sibilla Italiana

True Italian Sibyl.

I wish more people on the forum used the deck. I would love to use it more but need the study. :)

surpeti

Make sure the one you are getting one from Amazon that says Vera Sibilla Italiana

True Italian Sibyl.

I wish more people on the forum used the deck. I would love to use it more but need the study. :)

Thanks, conurelover! It does say that, and the few cards pictured did look like my Il Meneghello. By Monday I'll be in business!

I've played around with the Zingara sibilla but I started to feel that I wanted the suit/number information on the cards and the Zingara doesn't have that. I have a good feeling about these cards. They seem...friendly and warm to me. Glad there are a few other fans of Italian sibilla on AT.

Debra

Another oddity: The card that shows the deck number of this limited edition says it's deck 1709/1500. I assume that means they did a second run?

Thanks for any info.:)

Probably 1109. Some Europeans write the number 1 in a way that looks like a 7 to American eyes.

surpeti

Probably 1109. Some Europeans write the number 1 in a way that looks like a 7 to American eyes.

Thanks for the reply, Debra! Actually that second digit has a line through it, making it a definite 7. I got this from a reputable place--Alida--and it's obviously the deck it's supposed to be, so...go figure. Maybe it will be worth millions one day because of the oddity? :lightbulb Or not.