The Alice Tarot

faunabay

Following your thread about Alice made me want to reread the original story. I'm not even sure I ever read the original one. So I got one at our library. (the same library where I found the BBC book on the shelf in the childrens section!!)

Anyway I love the artist - Rodney Matthews. He even states how Rackman was the best Alice illustrator ever, but he hopes he can come close! I'm thinking I might even have to buy this!!! :p

Makes me even more excited to get your Alice deck Karen!!!!

Myrrha

baba-prague said:
That's an interesting point Myrrha. Our thinking, in sticking with the RWS suits (although we're still not sure if we'll use "pentacles" or "coins") is that the only suit you actually see in Wonderland is the Hearts, so we didn't feel any particular need to bring in Spades, Diamonds or Clubs, though of course you're absolutely right, they're the traditional suits used in England. The other reason is that we're also using Through the Looking Glass extensively, and so to switch to English suits felt as though it might make Wonderland seem too dominant.

We're doing Hearts=Cups, which means that, for instance, the Queen of Hearts becomes the Queen of Cups. Which is a long way from the traditional RWS Queen of Cups. Mapping this whole deck has been quite challenging, for these sorts of reasons, and the result will be a deck that's based on RWS, but in many places will differ from it significantly.

It will be fascinating to see the Queen of Hearts as the Queen of Cups. Hmmm. It may make her a more well rounded and realistic personality than the RWS Queen of Cups. Imperious rage is an emotion, right? I really, really hope it is Coins instead of Pentacles though. Pentacles just seems a bit out of place.

baba-prague

Myrrha said:
It will be fascinating to see the Queen of Hearts as the Queen of Cups. Hmmm. It may make her a more rounded and realistic personality than the RWS Queen of Cups. I really, really hope it is Coins instead of Pentacles though. Pentacles just seems a bit out of place.

Yes, I think it'll be Coins. But we haven't definitely decided yet.

Alta

I prefer coins to pentacles, but honestly will be quite happy with whichever you decide.

baba-prague

Myrrha said:
It will be fascinating to see the Queen of Hearts as the Queen of Cups. Hmmm. It may make her a more well rounded and realistic personality than the RWS Queen of Cups. Imperious rage is an emotion, right? I really, really hope it is Coins instead of Pentacles though. Pentacles just seems a bit out of place.

I doubt the RWS Queen of Cups ever shrieked, "Off with her head!" But then, that's what makes this Alice so interesting to design. The Courts are really, really a conundrum because it would be crazy not to use the Red and White kings and queens and knights (the chess ones) and the Hearts family, but on the other hand, mostly their characters do not fit the RWS attributes. It's making us think hard!

AJ

Oh please! Coins or Discs or even Wafers...not Pentacles

missycab

I love the cards so far!! The fish footman is great (when I was a kid I had a really difficult time imagining him, because the word the book used in Spanish - I think it was "lacayo de librea"- was unknown to me at that time).

And somehow I imagine the White Queen as the queen of cups. Especially when she becomes a lamb!!

WingspreadPhoenix

AJ said:
I'm so used to seeing the rectangular wafers that at first I thought this was a bit humorous xD But now that I think about it...being that they're a kind of sweet it might actually fit o-o

I really like the new card! What a nice fish :3 Ooh, I can't wait to see more!

Shalyn

Oh, this is definitely going to be a must-have for me! I love it so far!

la-luna

This seems truelly an Alice year :D
- this deck (loving it allready)
- Tim Burton's movie
- (wasn't Marylyn manson's movie also comming out this year)
- and on a TRUELLY freaky note: even the Living Dead Dolls bring out an Alice in wonderland edition (dolls + a book }) )

Attachments

• LDD - Alice set.jpg
    LDD - Alice set.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 160