Which card did you create first?

FadeToWhite

I just started with the first card I had a solid idea for: the Lovers.

Silver_Skye

Mine also started with the lovers, I'm not sure why.

ekb

Ummm, I guess I'm a freak - I started by laying out the pips first...

Chronata

For my First Born, The Tarot of the Midnight Masquerade, it was the Empress. She definitely signified that particular tarot journey.

The Minute, All Hallows, and Tarot Noir all began with the Fool, as each deck (at least with the majors) were done in order.

The Chronatarot's earliest created card was the Moon. (though the images for that deck were never meant to be tarot)

There are other decks too, but not completed. My Ten In One tarot began with the High Priestess, the Trickster was also the High Priestess, the Vampire Bunnies with the Hermit, the Doggy with the Moon, and the Steampunk tarot began with the Magician.

gregory

FadeToWhite said:
I just started with the first card I had a solid idea for.
Me too.

ar Leithligh

I started with The Star and, strangely, ended with The Star when I included the palm trees to create a 'quiet oasis'.

Deirdre

Pixelsmith

Death: http://chibitarot.com/major-arcana/xiii-death/ Not usually a great card for beginnings, but the idea was so simple that I was able to finish it in a couple of hours, which was key. I wasn't even planning on doing a whole deck at the time, I just wanted to see if the idea could fly: Chibi + Tarot = ??? Well, it flew. Ten cards later I'm knee deep in it. Death was a great card to start with!

Keir Myrkvetr

With the personal deck I'm making, I begun the first version (digital) with the Justice arcana. With the actual (and traditional medium (colour pencils and ink, yaaay)), I begun with the Devil. Why ? Because I had a very precise idea of what I should make / draw, so I decided to do it :)

Saffi

I began with the Fool and systematically worked my way through the deck :p.

I didn't want to go with whatever drew me in first, because it would just end up with me doing all my favourite cards first and leaving the "worst" ones for last... and then I'd run out of steam and either not put any effort toward the last ones or just abandon the project. I also wanted to be methodical about it and have everything drawn, scanned and saved in easy-to-find places and folders.

Babalon Jones

For the Rosetta, I started with the Fool, and though I didn't do all the trumps first and then the suits in order, I stayed pretty systematic. I did the Fool through the Lovers (for letter Zain meaning Sword), then the entire Swords suit in order. Then more trumps, though staying in their proper order, diverting after Fortune (Jupiter as ruler of a fire sign) to do the Wands, after Hanged Man (element Water) to the Cups, and I think just before the Universe (earth and saturn) I did all of the Disks in order, saving the Universe for last.

The deck I'm working on now I again started with the Fool, except this time I'm planning on doing all of the Trumps in order, then all of the Aces, etc and working through the Tree of life then the courts. or vice versa.

I guess I like to have a system with room with room for synchronicity. The cool thing so far with both decks is that even working rather in some sort of order, the cards I was working on at any given time always seemed to line up with an appropriate astrological aspect with a similar vibration at the time - and it is still happening! For example the Rosetta Fool was started when Mercury was stationed at the Aries point - the beginning of the astrological zodiac, and the Empress was made with Venus in one of her home signs, etc. The coincidences went on from there for almost every card. Still seems to keep happening with my new deck in progress too. I really should write these down as they occur, they are so interesting!

Thanks for the question, am loving reading about how others have approached this!