Sexual Key to the Tarot

Shade

I was visiting a massive used bookstore in Mountain View and a friend pointed me to a section I had never seen before: shelves and shelves of Metaphysical pocket books, mostly from the 60s/70s/80s. Lo and behold there was a Tarot section and next to yellowed copies of Eden Grey's books I found The Sexual Key to the Tarot from 1971.

I had to buy a copy.

I was not disappointed.

I am only a few cards in so far but I would say reading it has been more of a fun romp than anything deeper. The language is a cornucopia of hyper-sexualized verbiage from the dawning of the Age of Aquarius. Nearly every symbol is examined for its sexual suggestibility and everything is spelled out. Where Tarot Sutra's companion book was tactical in a blindfolds, feathers, backseats sort of way, this book explores the sexuality of the psyche, the Id, etc. We are treated to the inner and spiritual sexual expression suggested by the cards.

I know I sound like I am in hipster territory - enjoying a book from the 70s ironically but that isn't it. If this were written today it would have to get very, very heavy about certain topics. I'm certain a lot of the content could be deemed sexist. I wasn't sure how the book would treat LGBT topics and was delighted to see a mention of it in every card. The author has some funny ideas about gay folks and the most sensitive corners of the internet would probably declare the writing to be homophobic but I appreciate that the author was writing rather enthusiastically about us. There are no "trigger warnings" with this one.

I'm only a few cards in, so my opinion might change but I'm loving what I have read thus far. Has anyone else given this one a go?

3ill.yazi

This book came with the RWS box set in the early 80s, with two Eden Gray books. I didn't notice that when I asked for the book for Xmas, and my dad apparently didn't notice when he bought it. I quickly hid that one upon unwrapping lol.

A hilarious book. It almost ruined the RWS World card for me. It's still difficult for me to imagine that she is gripping anything other than a pair of dildos.

tarotbear

How do I get a copy of this book? :surprise:

Teheuti

I met the author around 1974. He was a professional, hack-writer who was very into Tarot, but had to deliver what his publisher wanted: a sensationalized book - so he made it very "Freudian" - that is, seeing tongue-in-cheek sexual inuendo in everything. BTW, he used a pseudonym for his writing. This book is quite easy to find used. It was rather an embarassment to him.

He also wrote a more serious book, How the Tarot Speaks to Modern Man, that is hard to find, in which he interprets the Major Arcana three times - from a Physical, Psychological and Spiritual point of view. Then he devotes just 4-5 pages to the Minor Arcana. When I knew him he was very much into a Jungian view of the cards, which isn't as apparent in his two books.

He and his wife were the first to tell me - if you want to learn Jungian psychology, read the women! They especially recommended Women's Mysteries: Ancient and Modern by M. Esther Harding - a book that became very influential in my life.

Here's some of his other books: http://www.thriftbooks.com/searchre...ce&searchby=author&intsortby=4&intsortorder=0

rwcarter

I have the book, but only remember thumbing through it to find an answer for someone here at Aeclectic. Never did read it cover to cover. I might have to now one of these days.

Shade

but had to deliver what his publisher wanted: a sensationalized book - so he made it very "Freudian" - that is, seeing tongue-in-cheek sexual inuendo in everything.

I can imagine - I read the section for The Empress and thought it had a sort of Monty Python and the Meaning of Life take on the card. With the placement of the scepter suggesting she represents insatiable fellatio and the waterfall depicting the ferocity and power of her orgasms, it's sort of a XXX Eden Grey approach. It gets fun points from me for its gonzo approach to the topic.

Mary, I must say gave a much more useful discussion of the sexual symbolism of the High Priestess in your presentation on the card than this one does.

Amazon has it available used starting at a penny: http://amzn.to/1O4MKlH

gregory

Isn't it wonderful ? I got a copy for a penny or something too, after it was mentioned here a few years ago.

Teheuti

Mary, I must say gave a much more useful discussion of the sexual symbolism of the High Priestess in your presentation on the card than this one does.
Thanks. I've learned a lot since 1974!