King of Pentacles as the Relationship

ilikeskittles

What could the King of Pentacles mean when representing a relationship/relationship outcome between two people? To me, this card is earthy, grounded, prosperous, and represents stability, material and otherwise. What's confusing is that the relationship in question is currently not that stable, and the two people are reconciling after not speaking for a while. On the one hand, it could indicate that the relationship will move towards stability? On the other, it's not a very emotional card. Thoughts?

BrownBear

It's also a practical suit. Perhaps the relationship meets practical needs?

Trogon

What could the King of Pentacles mean when representing a relationship/relationship outcome between two people? To me, this card is earthy, grounded, prosperous, and represents stability, material and otherwise. What's confusing is that the relationship in question is currently not that stable, and the two people are reconciling after not speaking for a while. On the one hand, it could indicate that the relationship will move towards stability? On the other, it's not a very emotional card. Thoughts?

[Note; I'm basing my interpretations primarily off of the RWS image.]

Stability isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. I see this as indicating that, while the "relationship" can be stable, there won't be much passion. The King of Pents to me, is generally successful, he's a good provider, he can give a good home, nice house, white picket fence, car, 2.5 kids, maybe even more. But it's all about the material things. They could even become quite "well to do", having the bigger house, 2 cars, well manicured lawn. But he will not be demonstrative in his love. He will "love" his partner in his own way, but I see him spending more time on those material things, work, keeping up with the world and so on. If this is what your client really desires out of the relationship, they'll probably be okay. But if they want deep emotional demonstrations of love and/or passion ... it's not going to happen very much.

You might want to try a reading to see what your client actually wants out of the relationship, to see how that King of Pentacles fits in.

Topaz_CharmTemple

Are you getting a sexy vibe from the King? I tend to associate Pentacles with sensuality & the body as well as the more practical/money associations mentioned above. Just a thought..

ilikeskittles

I agree with all of those interpretations, both parties are fairly practical people, so I don't think there's an issue there... I also agree that pentacles can be sensual, being an earth suit it just kind of has that vibe to me. I think my confusion is stemming from the fact that the two people are reconciling, but the King of Pentacles isn't really a relationship card or what I would expect as an outcome card in that scenario (wouldn't a two of cups or something be better to indicate that this reunion will stick?). Hmm...

Grizabella

I agree with all of those interpretations, both parties are fairly practical people, so I don't think there's an issue there... I also agree that pentacles can be sensual, being an earth suit it just kind of has that vibe to me. I think my confusion is stemming from the fact that the two people are reconciling, but the King of Pentacles isn't really a relationship card or what I would expect as an outcome card in that scenario (wouldn't a two of cups or something be better to indicate that this reunion will stick?). Hmm...

Any card can be a "relationship" card, really. I think in this case it means the relationship has a solid enough base in practicality and compatibility that it can endure some bumps in the road and still be secure in spite of all the difficulties it may go through over the course of time.. :)

BrownBear

Any card can be a "relationship" card, really. I think in this case it means the relationship has a solid enough base in practicality and compatibility that it can endure some bumps in the road and still be secure in spite of all the difficulties it may go through over the course of time.. :)
I agree, any card can be a relationship card.

This king is stable, a master of both the practical and the sensual. The most stable of all suits.

I'd interpret this as a relationship that's *very* stable and built on practical needs. Each person gives what the other needs.

Re 2 of cups. The cups are a suit given to soft, mushy feelings. Not all relationships are built on fluffy feelings, and practical relationships can be just as stable. Some people even prefer love to be based on those practical things. It's like the "love languages" book... Pentacles show love through actions and physical things; cups show love through words and flowery demonstrations.

ilikeskittles

Thanks Grizabella and Brownbear, I really like your interpretations. That was kind of my initial thoughts on the card, the fact that their relationship isn't currently stable was what was throwing me off. Perhaps its an indication that they will get back to that stability soon! I suppose you're right about any card being applicable to relationships, I think the stuff I've read has just kind of trained me to look for the obvious cards (cups, lovers etc), which when you think about it, isn't really good practice for interpreting tarot at all! Thankful for the resources here.

BrownBear

Thanks Grizabella and Brownbear, I really like your interpretations. That was kind of my initial thoughts on the card, the fact that their relationship isn't currently stable was what was throwing me off. Perhaps its an indication that they will get back to that stability soon! I suppose you're right about any card being applicable to relationships, I think the stuff I've read has just kind of trained me to look for the obvious cards (cups, lovers etc), which when you think about it, isn't really good practice for interpreting tarot at all! Thankful for the resources here.

Sometimes when I get an unusual card in a position I wouldn't normally see that card, it's the tarot telling me to really pay attention to that card!

IndigoWaves

It seems to occur fairly often with a court card relationship 'Outcome' that the people concerned have actually separated in the end, or never really got together at all... And instead of describing that nonexistent connection, the card represents either the querent's own related energy by that time, or how he/she views the person with whom the relationship was/is desired... In this case, especially if the S.O. is often seen as a King of Pents, it's possible that this connection will end or fail to progress while the querent is still firmly focused on and wanting to be with him/her: An "out of reach" KP who will nonetheless continue to feature prominently within the querent's mind.