Caste System in Tarot?

DesertDream

Ive read in multiple places tarot has a sort of chaste system(for lack of a better word) among the minor arcana. Take the RWS for example, I remember something of the wands being low working clas and only speculating here but cups the spiritual people, coins the wealthy and swords the warriors? This intrest me very much, thoughts?

nisaba

A chaste system? I know chaste and very unchaste people who use Tarot, and I don't find the suit that comes up for a person reflects their level of chastity much, if at all.

Confused -

GotH

Caste system. I think the OP meant caste, not chaste. :)

madhatter00o

If I recall correctly the *caste* system for the Minors is as follows:

1. Swords: nobility. Those who can afford and use (i.e., fight with) expensive weaponry.

2. Cups: priesthood. The people of religion who seek to fill themselves with noble truth.

3. Wands: merchants. They have luxury of being able to travel (wand as walking stick) and the pragmatism to defend themselves (wand as weapon... not a noble weapon of the nobility, though.)

4. Pentacles: commoners. Those who are concerned with the everyday needs of life, like food, money, and the work they do to get food/money.

I think I watched a video on YouTube where this was explained, and if I can find that video again, I'll try to link it here.

DesertDream

If I recall correctly the *caste* system for the Minors is as follows:

1. Swords: nobility. Those who can afford and use (i.e., fight with) expensive weaponry.

2. Cups: priesthood. The people of religion who seek to fill themselves with noble truth.

3. Wands: merchants. They have luxury of being able to travel (wand as walking stick) and the pragmatism to defend themselves (wand as weapon... not a noble weapon of the nobility, though.)

4. Pentacles: commoners. Those who are concerned with the everyday needs of life, like food, money, and the work they do to get food/money.

I think I watched a video on YouTube where this was explained, and if I can find that video again, I'll try to link it here.

Is there anything that explains the caste hierarchy card by card? Thanks by the way!

mrpants

Flornoy, in his LWB for the Noblet Tarot, assigns the suits thusly:
Batons- peasants & craftsmen
Coins- merchants & financiers
Swords- princes & warriors
Cups- priests & healers

Probably there is a bit of variation, and there isn't really one answer. But the above assignments do fit the late Medeival/early Renaissance paradigm in which they were used.

ETA: Specifically, the Courts. He has very little to say regarding the pips, but I think you can transpose the Court assignments right on over to the pips.

Grizabella

This is really interesting. Thank you for posting it. I've never heard of this before. I've made a note of it to myself. I'm going to see how it works out in my readings.

DesertDream

This is really interesting. Thank you for posting it. I've never heard of this before. I've made a note of it to myself. I'm going to see how it works out in my readings.

Let us know how it goes! Maybe a spread can be made surrounding this concept somehow.

PAMUYA

Love it too....great post