The Key to the Kingdom

Aerin

Bernice said:
Aerin, is the original pack/deck dated - where you can see the date? I wonder if the ISBN is the same as the sticky cards. If I could get a copy with better cardstock (and afford it!), I would.

Thank you for that info.

Bee :)

Ooh, I'll have to take a look.

Hang on. Can't find it... will have to google.

The first set was published by Pavillion Books in 1992, I suspect the one you have is Running Press which is later. Annoyingly they seem to be listed interchangeably so I would suggest checking with the seller first. Some sellers don't seem to realise that there were two different editions by different publishers e.g. just found one labelled "1992 first edition Running Press" - it is one or the other and not both!!!!

The Pavillion 1992 one appears to be this one
ISBN-10: 1851459251
ISBN-13: 978-1851459254

The Running Press one appears to be listed with

ISBN-10: 9780762421374
ISBN-13: 978-0762421374
ASIN: 0762421371

Do check that the cards are included too.

Moonbow

Bee mine are newer than yours and I've been riffle shuffling them since I got them. The card stock is thin enough to get quite a good riffle even though at first they were shuffling in clumps. They're much better now but its that shiny surface that sticks them together. I keep holding mine and flipping the edges to get air between the cards and then doing a shuffle. The deck is definitely getting better, its not a good shuffling deck and I find I'm treating it quite rough to get the flexibility but it seems to need it. (disclaimer, don't anyone do this if you are worried about bending the cards... it can happen)

Chronata

Does the second edition come with the book of poems that were for the original contest?

I have a first edition, in the cool slipcase, and I was wondering if the second is packaged the same way?

Bernice

I found a Pavillion copy! Then discovered it was only the book, as Aerin warned me about :(.

Thank you for sorting out the ISBNs Aerin, it will make it much easier to find the 'good' cardstock copy. I'll keep searching.

Astraea

I have the Running Press copy referenced by Evie, and the card stock seems fine to me - I have used the deck quite a bit and it's held up beautifully. But mine were never sticky - maybe continuing to use the powder will improve their shuffling performance.

Bernice

Bernice said:
.........<snip>......

I've chosen to go primarily with the rhymes, and now have the meanings listed up to the courts. Tried out some 3 card spreads. Looking good so far!

Finished. Brief meanings for all the cards are in a MS Word document. The meanings are in a table for ease of locating any card. On one A4 page.

Did three readings - very pertinent results. Happy.

Eta: Having a lot of trouble with Word. I have now been able to better re-word a couple of the meanings. Not a great difference, but better (I think).
I've uploaded the ammended doc.

B.

Attachments

• 52-card_Key.2.Kingdom.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 302

Moonbow

Excellent, thanks Bee. When I get home I'll dig it out and have a play.

Very appreciative of the work this took. :)

ZKEI

I have just got this deck this morning.
I go for the Running Press version because the overall package seems a bit better to me (i.e. harder and newer box) .

The card stock seems fine to me as well.
Though, the cards are not silky smooth while fanning out or shuffling, the coating does not make the cards too sticky as much as those of the Tarot Nova, which are also from the Running Press.

Bernice said:
Finished. Brief meanings for all the cards are in a MS Word document. The meanings are in a table for ease of locating any card. On one A4 page.

Did three readings - very pertinent results. Happy.

Thank you very much. You have done an excellent job here.
As scanning through, it seems these rhymes' meanings complement to my playing cards' and images' meanings and I would be able to merge them together straightforwardly.

:)

Bernice

Hi ZKEI :)

I've re-worded a couple of the meanings - not a lot different, but better worded. Had trouble with MS Office Word.

I don't think Tony Meeuwissen consciously created images & rhymes to fit with any particular playing card meanings. Maybe a case of 'fitting where it touches' like the Queen Hearts :).

The 9 Hearts in most systems try and keep it as the wish card - but not in this deck. And the King Hearts here is in a Royal Rage, chucking his bits in the Thames :laugh:.

But in the few readings I've done = great readers!