Has anyone with Spanish cards done this...

MatPoint

Sure I have no problem sharing information. I will be explaining the spreads if you are interested, one at a time.

Let's start with the easy one. The rommani spread. You may find some variations but I will be explaining the way I do it and the way most people do it in Spain.

Lay out the cards in 4 rows of 5 cards each one, then add 1 more card at the bottom, in the center.

1 5 9 13 17 RECENT PAST
2 6 10 14 18 PRESENT
3 7 11 15 19 NEAR FUTURE
4 8 12 16 20 FUTURE
21 ADVISE

The Spanish cards are read traditionally from right to left each row. Then you can do a free interpretation of verticals, diagonals and the combinations you'll find in the layout.

This spread is a general one, you are not required to ask a question, but if you wish you can too. If there is a question you only need to look for the significator for the question and read the cards surrounding.

I will post a demos if I have time.

Hope it helps.

Mat

Cerulean

Wowee...what a gorgeous contribution...

Eios and MatPoint, thanks for your confirming and contributing messages!

You made my Friday very very happy...now I'm going to experiment with the notes made here and the links in this thread with more confidence.

Someday soon, I'm certain I'll read a delicious book by knowledgeable cartomancers on the "Spanish" style of reading...until then, I'm scribbling and printing all the gathered things in a journal devoted to my Latin-suited cards and so much wonderful sharing here.

I'll keep posting links to this topic as I find them. Your contributions revived my interest and enjoyment with these decks, especially my 48-card "Romantica".

Thanks again,

Cerulean

Eios

New Thread?

Hey MatPoint and all of you who are interested in the spanish cards;

I propose we start a new thread, where we can discuss spreads and card meanings with the Spanish cards. Maybe I can do a spread and we can discuss the results. Are you willing?

Eios

Cerulean

Really good idea! Eios, I'll be looking for your thread...

Thanks much...

Cerulean

MatPoint

Hey Cerulean and Eios,

That's a good idea count on me.

Mat

Eios

New thread is posted

I just started a new thread. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to contribute.

I'll be posting a few meanings of cards and also readings. Maybe Matpoint can help me with the interpretation of the reading.

Regards,

Eios

Cerulean

Link to follow on Naipes in Peru

although in Peru these divinatory meanings are linked to Lenormand booklets...but somewhat different than my historic 1890 to 1970s Etteilla and Lenormand old decks, instructions and later reproductions.

While I enjoy hearing about a curious and familliar similarity in the cartomancy meanings and perhaps recognition of how people read cards. There is also much wonderful difference with each personal experience shared. I will link later to the book I am reading as the spread and meanings do differ from French and Italian Lenomand and Etteilla cartomancy..and yet so many diverse decks....I also have threads with keywords that show some similarity.

Even German and English, French and Belgium historic instructions and card choices across publishes such as Sohne, Rider. Grimaud and my unattributed Belgium decks just really vary in time periods that overlap one another. Grimaud seems to have made a great bisiness in how many different cartomancy decks were around...sharing the name Lenormand or Etteilla.

I know Naipes, and Barajas Espanole are Latin suited decks that look like tarot minors and
inspire divination to some fans

Each generation and region made these wonderful variations in their deck experience their own....viva la difference!

Le Fanu

What a wonderful thread! I have nothing to add, except that I'm so glad this was bumped and it gave me such pleasure to read.

I have been thinking recently of getting myself a wonderful deck - Spanish or not - and writing my own meanings on like the old gypsies used to do! To do old-fashioned after-dinner easy prediction readings! :D Only this week in an antique shop I found a beautiful antique deck of cards with feint meanings written on. I so wanted to post pics but wouldn't know which thread to put it in.

I always love your thoughts on playing cards Cerulean. I have these Fournier reproduction "Barajas"; the Goyesca, the Romantic and also the Neoclassico and they are truly gorgeous. I use them for patience/solitaire more than anything but that system for Spanish decks is a real find! Thanks for posting!

Le Fanu

Oh gosh.. now I see why the eights, nines and tens in my *found* antique deck don't have divinatory meanings scribbled on them!

Cerulean

I will link later to the book thread-so exciting to hear

The book thread listing suits and keywords and excerpts are in "Fate, Fortune & Mysticism in the Peruvian Amazon".

In that thread I listed keywords. A lovely book...of course I hope to take pictures of my not old, but beloved reproductions...I took out my favorite antique collecting book with that story of finding the Latin suited Spanish deck.

Great Dane has a gorgeous old set and a recent thread in the historical forum to ID her antique 'tarot'--it was a lovely hand-painted set of images and a barajas espanoles set of
cards.

I will enjoy seeing pictures when people can share. Hopefully my book thread and other naipes and barajas espanole threads we unearth will be fun and helpful?

I truly enjoy hearing such fun sharing and am glad the book I posted about in Tarot Books and Media came this week. I received a postcard from Bear and Company about the book and ordered the kindle edition for my phone, then a paper copy.