GREAT books on tarot AND astrology, PLEASE !!!

sunstallion

I am looking for a few GREAT books on the relationship between tarot and astrology.

I searched through all this AT forum, but couldnt come up with one. May be I didnt do it right or it didnt come up for some weird reasons.

If anyone knows a great one, please recommend.

Thanks

rainwolf

You are looking for books that relate specifically to the relationship right? Not just astrology/tarot?

moderndayruth

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=77111

check out this link, there are many threads about Astrology and Tarot that ATers discussed before (somewhere near the bottom of the page), there are books reccomended too, though i can't remember in which thread exactly :(
Good luck with your search
mdr

jmd

...not a book, but essentially captures what he says in his Tarot Symbolism (two reviews are on Aeclectic, one my own before reprinting his book), Robert O'Neill has a wonderful essay on Tarot.com's page on this very topic!

sunstallion

rainwolf said:
You are looking for books that relate specifically to the relationship right? Not just astrology/tarot?

astrology/tarot, too

rainwolf

For just astrology, I'd check out the sticky in the astrology forum. There is a huge list of books separated by the level you are looking for.

Tarot Decoded by Hazel is a good book showing how you can incorporate astrology into tarot by use of dignity (in other words, a working use of what you are looking for).

The Thoth tarot uses a lot of astrology in the deck--any book specifically on it will probably give you a good amount of astrology. Try Duquettes book for a start.

Lastly I think they are still planning to open that forum that was discussed many months ago about an attribution forum, where we can discuss it in length. This might be your best bet because I started just by connecting the dots with little information, and they filling in the holes myself by spending time with it.

RW

sunstallion

moderndayruth said:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=77111

check out this link, there are many threads about Astrology and Tarot that ATers discussed before (somewhere near the bottom of the page), there are books reccomended too, though i can't remember in which thread exactly :(
Good luck with your search
mdr

I did, but it only shows threads about using tarot, not recommends any books on tarot and astrology.

Bonnie

Tarot Decoded

I thoroughly agree with "Tarot Decoded" by Liz Hazel as falling into the category of Tarot/Astrology. Liz has done significant work in both fields. The book is quite in-depth, yet presented with Liz's very own intense brand of humor. ;-)

Blessings,
Bonnie

Teheuti

I wrote an in-depth article on the subject for Mountain Astrologer magazine: No. 72, April/May, 1997. There are charts comparing differing ideas about astrological and tarot correspondences, a natal chart interpretation using the GD correspondences, plus some astrological spreads.

Paul Foster Case's BOTA correspondence course eventually covers a great deal of astrology, as does C.C. Zain's Brotherhood of Light course - covered in his book _Sacred Tarot_. Case follows the GD correspondences for the Majors, and adds the outer planets. But, he uses a different set of decanate rulers for the Minors. C.C. Zain uses an entirely different set of correspondences based on tropical (instead of sidereal) astrology.

So, the first thing you need to do is decide on the set of correspondences you will use. Next, any book that tries to cover both topics is going to sacrifice one for the other. Once you know the correspondences for your chosen system, you will benefit most from studying the best in each field.

Duquette's book on the Thoth deck will give you a good overview, but, unfortunately he didn't incorporate all of Crowley's writings on astrology - which are excellent sources for what Crowley intended, especially regarding the decanate attributions for the Minor Arcana. For that, see Evangeline Adams, _Astrology: Your Place Among the Stars_ (ghost-written by Crowley). There's also a compendium of his astrological writings put out by Weiser.

Elizabeth Hazel's book is excellent and probably the closest you will get to what you want. My book, _Tarot for Your Self_ has a chapter on Tarot and astrology based on the GD system - a good way to get started.

Just remembered - one other book on the Minor Arcana, written by a student of Crowley's when he was in America, is Muriel Hasbrouck's _Pursuit of Destiny_, republished by Inner Traditions as _Tarot and Astrology_ (now OP). It uses the RWS deck and focuses on the psychological characteristics of people who's Sun is in a particular decanate.

Mary

jmd

From everyone's replies, it seems I had totally misunderstood sunstallion's opening request. I took "the relationship between tarot and astrology" to request a book that actually investigates or looks at any such relationship, rather than books that take as a basis overlays made by various people.

Neither CC Zain's nor the GD's (and its modifications via the likes of Case or Crowley) present the relationship between tarot and astrology, but rather begin from assumed correlated overlays which are then applied and expanded in their works.

If that's the basis of the opening question, then of course it throws an entirely different meaning to the request for a book on "the relationship between tarot and astrology".