Bürger & Fiebig: Tarot Basics / Tarot für Einsteiger/innen

firemaiden

I think a miracle has happened. I actually found a tarot book in the shelf that did not make me want to throw it across the bookstore and scream "arrrgh!".

What is the cause of this miracle? A simple little book called "Tarot Basics" -- originally published in German as "Tarot für Einsteiger/innen -- by Evelin Bürger & Johannes Fiebig.

I fell in love with it in the bookstore. In fact I wanted to cradle it in my arms. It is one simple page per card, for each card of the tarot, full colour examples are posted from each of the three main decks: the Thoth, the RWS, and the Marseille (in it's Fournier re-colouring).

This is yes, (can you believe it???) a book of tarot meanings. ANOTHER ONE?????

Ah but what meanings! This is unlike any other I have ever seen. The authors have cut the dreaded key-words entirely out of the Thoth deck, so they do not poison the process. They have invented new titles for every card in ways that are for me, in each case a total revelation. I am just in love with these interpretations.

Although the blurb in the back of the book has the usual fool's lure about predicting your future, etc, the meanings offered, are absolutely about self mastery. Somehow, all the diverse and conflicting elements of the three traditions are taken into account, and ever so succinctly and elegantly, a life-changing paragraph is wrought.

The section on the IX of Swords, for example, is titled "Comprehend the Incomprehensible. The page begins by acknowledging the expected meanings: "This card is often interpreted as the station of despair, of nightmares, etc. [...]"Cruelty" is the title of the Crowley card." But they go on to say (this is where I get interested) "As always, the title represents only one small aspect of this particular card". The authors then explore the relationship between swords and blood - the thoughts like swords plunging deep into the blood of our feelings can be painful, but - here is where the revelation comes:
On the other hand , a direct connection between the external and internal worlds, between the heart and the intellect, can be enormously favorable, and can provide great clarity. You are finally able to understand what your thoughts mean. That which moves your soul will allow you to find clear, conscious, and diverse forms of expression. Congratulations!.

The Waite card depicts the same process. you are beginning to grasp the consequences and the meanings of your thoughts. Light is penetrating darkness, and you are beginning to understand many things that have been a puzzle to you. That is cause for great joy. Get used to your new intellectual horizon slowly.

Every page is a new revelation for me. Another card-meaning that struck me as particularly beautiful is for the V of Swords -- the section is titled "Resolving Fear". Just by the title, the scary card is given a transformative power.

I better go now. I have to go kiss my book.

BrightEye

Great book, firemaiden. I actually bought it today. It came in a box with a mini edition of the RWS deck. I really like this dinky deck too because of the backs, which show the rosicross. I also bought a box set of the Visconti Tarot, the book is by Fiebig. Really good stuff!!

weaver

Thanks for posting this recommendation, firemaiden. After reading your thoughts here, I ordered Tarot Basics through my local bookshop. What a nice little book! I especially like that it shows cards from the Rider, Thoth and Fournier Marseilles decks for each of the illuminating card write-ups. What a deal, too! My copy only cost $7.95 which (to me) is amazing considering the quality of the publication. Good stuff!

Thanks!

weaver

firemaiden

Weaver and Brighteye, I'm so glad you like the book. Perhaps we could start a club :D

Lleminawc

I never heard of Johannes Fiebig until yesterday, when I found his book about the Dali Tarot in my local discount store. It's very nicely produced, with full-page illustrations of every card and a list of all the artistic sources. Each card is also given a full page of interpretation; as in the book you guys are discussing, it's full of novel and thought-provoking insights.

SixDegrees

I found this book to be insightful as well. If you have the money, you might want to invest in his "Complete Book of Tarot Spreads." It is wonderfully written and helpful. In fact, I would venture to say that this book has the highest concentration of useful/applicable spreads out of any of the books I have read on the subject (certainly more than the standards other people tend to fall back on...Power Tarot, for example). Most of the spreads sparkle with a wit you don't often see in books like this. A real treasure, one of my favorites.

Logiatrix

Agreed, firemaiden, it's one of my favorite tarot books around. In fact, it was my first tarot book when I started studying the cards ten years ago, and it served as my only tarot book for a solid three years. I didn't look into any other resources 'til I came here, actually.

BTW, I just saw it for sale in the bargain section of Barnes & Noble, in a kit with a cute little tarot deck. I think the kit was priced at $12.95 (like anyone here needs another 'cute little tarot deck'!)...
:)