The Circle of Three books by Isobel Bird

SarahRose

I stumbled upon these at my library today - a great big juvenile fiction section of books about Wicca/Wiccan practices and teens, and such. I was actually surprised they were there. It's not that I live in an overtly conservative town, but I was stil surprised.

I was glad they exist, too!

Anyone ever read any of them? It's The Circle of Three books by Isobel Bird.

The fourth one is about tarot - that's why I'm asking, to see if that one or the series is worth it to even just quickly read through. I mean, they're juvenile books, but I still might get a kick out of them if they're good.

I didn't check any out; I wanted to know what you all thought?

Isobel Bird on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Isobel Bird

6 Haunted Days

Do these have anything to do with Tarot?

SarahRose

Yeah, I was searching for tarot books at the library and the 4th one in the series is all about tarot. "What the Cards Said" is that one.

Heard of 'em? :)

6 Haunted Days

No, sounds interesting!

Aulruna

I've read the whole series a while ago. They are a bit simplistic, but the nice thing is, while the girls have Goddess and spirit encounters and the like, they don't have that fantasy witch superpowers that are so popular in YAF now.

They are girls on a spiritual path.

It has a socio-political component as well - e.g. in "The Five Paths", the school tries to ban the pentacle necklace one of the protagonists is wearing.

Tarot plays a role in some of the books; "What the Cards said" tells the story how one of the girls gives readings to be popular, with not much thought of the consequences. When things go wrong, people start accusing her, and it puts her off the cards for a while, but she takes up reading again later.

My favourite part is when the "Wicca 101" class they visit hosts a mystery walk through the forest, where they encounter circle members dressed as Major Arcana characters, offering wisdom.

In general, there are some nice ideas in there. Main peeve for me - the writing itself is very simplistic and repetitive.

SarahRose

That sounds nice, though. Like you said, you see so much of the fake-magic thing around. They sounded like low-level reads, but it might be fun to read them in a few weeks as a distraction from my school reading, lol.

Thanks for the opinion! :)

The Major Arcana dress-ups sounds so cool! I want to do that in real life. LOL