Just Another Writer's Character Spread (9 card)

jessbethda

So I've seen quite a few character creation spreads for writers to utilize when they are trying to brainstorm more about an already existing character or to randomly generate a character quickly and easily. None of the ones that I saw, however, suited my purposes, so I decided to come up with my own, and I've been having a lot of success with it.

The basic spread pattern is that of a person, sort of like a stick figure. I like to imagine the character facing away from me, so keep that in mind when I say left and right. Also, the questions associated with the body parts are intended to be flexible, not rigid, as I find rigidity in character creation to stifle the whole process.

1.) The Heart - What is the character's primary emotional preoccupation?
2.) The Head - What is the character's primary logical preoccupation?
3.) The Groin - What is the character's most base desire? (The position isn't necessarily about relationships, but it certainly can be.)
4.) The Left Hand - What is the character's hopes or fears?
5.) The Right Hand - What does the character fight for?
6.) The Left Leg - What does the character want from themself?
7.) The Left Foot - What will doing what the character wants result in?
8.) The Right Leg - What do others want from the character?
9.) The Right Foot - What will doing what others want result in?

If you find it similar to another spread or you have any criticism, I'd love to hear it! It's still a bit of a work in process, particularly the feet positions. I'm sort of surprised I didn't find another stick-figure spread like this one when I was researching, but the idea suits my needs.

foolonajourney

I love these as I often use Tarot to inspire my writing.

The Leg and feet positions don't sit quite right to me.
what if you used:
Right leg- where does the character want to go?
Left Leg- Where do others want the character to go?
Right foot- what will happen if they make it here?
Left foot- What will happen if they make it here?

Gwynydd

I'm a writer too, so thank you so much for this great spread!

DesertDream

This a beautiful spread, im excited to see how the charecters in my head look like in my cards, ty!

Sass3240

Great Idea

What a great idea, I never thought of using the cards to define my characters. Now I am wondering if there's one for storyline progression too... Exciting!!

jessbethda

I love these as I often use Tarot to inspire my writing.

The Leg and feet positions don't sit quite right to me.
what if you used:
Right leg- where does the character want to go?
Left Leg- Where do others want the character to go?
Right foot- what will happen if they make it here?
Left foot- What will happen if they make it here?

I actually had that same problem when I made the spread. Your suggestions are awesome. I think that this is what I was trying to say but couldn't find the words for. Thanks for the suggestions!