3 swords vs 3 cups rx

Sazzle

Hi there

I'm having a hard time trying to distinguish the difference between the two when t comes to relationships, dating, feelings etc.

I've seen many a time it be said that both can represent an affair or third person. So my question is- especially in a feelings spread. What is the difference?

Swords are about the mind and I can see why the 3 swords can mean a third person. Does it necessarily mean physically a third person, or in their mind there is a third person? For instance, if you do a spread of feelings for someone with a partner and you receive it as an outcome, would it mean they have no thoughts/feelings of you, the third person (their partner) is taking their minds attention. Equally if they are single (and you barely know them), could this equate to the same answer? So no feelings.
Cups are emotions so 3cups rx to me could mean possibly they are dating around, or currently dating someone else. So again, no feelings.

I still cannot process the difference though - they are just too similar (only in this context) for me to differentiate.

Would love any help as it's driving me mad :)

Topaz_CharmTemple

The 3 of Swords is so overwhelmingly painful that I hardly ever even stop to think about what else it might mean. It is a heartache card, a card of depression & longing. I've had it come up in travel spreads as a representation of homesickness. Rarely do I see a more hopeful meaning for this card, although all tarot cards have their positive & negative aspects. It's raining in the RWS 3 of Swords, and rain doesn't last forever. There will be an end to the storm, & possibly even a rainbow. Swords as air/mind could suggest a mind-over-matter situation, for example a person overcoming addiction through a difficult & painful process. Then again, it could just as easily mean negative self-talk & those thoughts we all have that tell us we're not good enough. (It could also suggest magical practices like voodoo, if you wanna take it in that direction -- which I do!).

The 3 of Cups is celebration, friendship, & community. It's a card of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine & uninhibited revelry. (I love this card & personally associate it with a wonderful time in my life in which I was living with two very close friends).

Getting to your question, it's clear to me which card I'd rather pull in a relationship spread! The 3 of Cups wouldn't necessarily mean a third party. Rather, I'd see it as evidence that the relationship is supported by those around me, that people are "toasting" me & my lover. If there *is* a third party involved, I feel like it'd be in a minage-a-trois kinda situation...!

The 3 of Swords in a love/relationship spread would indicate that miscommunication or verbal arguments are causing a lot of pain. I wouldn't necessarily assume there's a third person involved, but rather just see disagreement or confusion, or words said in anger that are cutting too deep.

You could always "ask your deck" what these cards mean! There's no reason why the 3s might not mean something different for you.

rwcarter

3S is more about heartbreak, lies, breakups, painful truths, tears, etc.

3C Rx is more about all the joy and fun having drained from the relationship.

The different would be:
3S - He broke up with me!!!!!
3C Rx - We used to go out and have fun all the time, now all we do is sit at home all the time!

Rodney

Sazzle

The 3 of Swords is so overwhelmingly painful that I hardly ever even stop to think about what else it might mean. It is a heartache card, a card of depression & longing. I've had it come up in travel spreads as a representation of homesickness. Rarely do I see a more hopeful meaning for this card, although all tarot cards have their positive & negative aspects. It's raining in the RWS 3 of Swords, and rain doesn't last forever. There will be an end to the storm, & possibly even a rainbow. Swords as air/mind could suggest a mind-over-matter situation, for example a person overcoming addiction through a difficult & painful process. Then again, it could just as easily mean negative self-talk & those thoughts we all have that tell us we're not good enough. (It could also suggest magical practices like voodoo, if you wanna take it in that direction -- which I do!).

The 3 of Cups is celebration, friendship, & community. It's a card of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine & uninhibited revelry. (I love this card & personally associate it with a wonderful time in my life in which I was living with two very close friends).

Getting to your question, it's clear to me which card I'd rather pull in a relationship spread! The 3 of Cups wouldn't necessarily mean a third party. Rather, I'd see it as evidence that the relationship is supported by those around me, that people are "toasting" me & my lover. If there *is* a third party involved, I feel like it'd be in a minage-a-trois kinda situation...!

The 3 of Swords in a love/relationship spread would indicate that miscommunication or verbal arguments are causing a lot of pain. I wouldn't necessarily assume there's a third person involved, but rather just see disagreement or confusion, or words said in anger that are cutting too deep.

You could always "ask your deck" what these cards mean! There's no reason why the 3s might not mean something different for you.

Thanks for your in take :)
Sure, I didn't mean that it ALWAYS means third person, just sometimes (and you have to be very careful when interpreting that)

3swords has always meant something painful yes - though as an example ; a few years ago I was doing a reading for a person I was getting acquainted with. He had recently broken up with his gf and wanted to know what would happen between them. The 3swords came in the environment position in a Celtic cross, with the king cups as outcome. I suspected another man and it turned out a month later she was indeeed cheating on him (emotionally not physically) prior to break up and the man was a KOC artsy, romantic man.

I agree with your comment about the 3 cups :) but you were referring to upright and I rx. Upright it's such a nice card of friendship, never really personally had it in a romantic situation. Rx though it's difficult for me

Sazzle

3S is more about heartbreak, lies, breakups, painful truths, tears, etc.

3C Rx is more about all the joy and fun having drained from the relationship.

The different would be:
3S - He broke up with me!!!!!
3C Rx - We used to go out and have fun all the time, now all we do is sit at home all the time!

Rodney

I totally agree with this - this is my usual interpretation too. However what if you barely know them, only meet on a formal basis. I've had this come up as feeling 3 swords) on so many Occassions where it is impossible for heartbreaking, lies or feelings as there is no emotional attachment, no relationship, just a very new acquaintance.

rwcarter

I totally agree with this - this is my usual interpretation too. However what if you barely know them, only meet on a formal basis. I've had this come up as feeling 3 swords) on so many Occassions where it is impossible for heartbreaking, lies or feelings as there is no emotional attachment, no relationship, just a very new acquaintance.

They may be too heartbroken from a previous experience to be able to have any feelings for you. It's also possible that the card is for you since it's a repeating card - you may need to face the truth that there's nothing there between you and this new acquaintance if you're hoping for something more.

Sazzle

They may be too heartbroken from a previous experience to be able to have any feelings for you. It's also possible that the card is for you since it's a repeating card - you may need to face the truth that there's nothing there between you and this new acquaintance if you're hoping for something more.

I just meant through out the years I've revieved it for myself and other people, not that I've received it a lot lately and this isn't a reading about me really :) I was just playing around with the cards and seeing what my music tutors (were the same age so nothing weird) feelings were for me (he has a gf so completely out of bounds). Just asked out of curiosity as he seemed to be flirting and blushing at me at my last lesson. Just thought it was a little strange so I asked the cards and this one came up as outcome of feelings and it made me wonder as a whole what this card can mean when neither person is hurt by the other and as I was asking out of curiosity I don't think it would be about me since I have no fantasy in my head about him.
Also , I've always been terrible at trying to distinguish the difference as feelings between 3swords and 3 cups rx. For me they seem far too fimilar.

rwcarter

I just meant through out the years I've revieved it for myself and other people, not that I've received it a lot lately and this isn't a reading about me really :) I was just playing around with the cards and seeing what my music tutors (were the same age so nothing weird) feelings were for me (he has a gf so completely out of bounds). Just asked out of curiosity as he seemed to be flirting and blushing at me at my last lesson. Just thought it was a little strange so I asked the cards and this one came up as outcome of feelings and it made me wonder as a whole what this card can mean when neither person is hurt by the other and as I was asking out of curiosity I don't think it would be about me since I have no fantasy in my head about him.
Also , I've always been terrible at trying to distinguish the difference as feelings between 3swords and 3 cups rx. For me they seem far too fimilar.

With that additional info, the 3S as outcome of his feelings for you could mean that he has to face an unpleasant truth in his life. I would caution against assuming what that truth might be though.

Sazzle

With that additional info, the 3S as outcome of his feelings for you could mean that he has to face an unpleasant truth in his life. I would caution against assuming what that truth might be though.

Hm thanks for your input rwcarter :)

I'm still struggling though - I didn't see the rest of the spread as having any feelings, well at least nothing that makes me sense anything more than student/teacher relationship (justice popped up, which makes sense as it wouldn't be very ethical because 1. He has a gf. 2. He is my tutor) and the 4 wands was in the near future (which I always receive in feeling spreads when there is no emotional feeling, I.e. After The person decided to stop dating me, so he has no confusion, stable foundation set).
Maybe I didn't read this very well, Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your interpretation!?
Sorry- years of practising and I'm still no good at reading when a card throws me off šŸ˜©

Sharla

As you've mentioned your music teacher being out of bounds, then the 3 swords can mean wanting someone or having feelings for someone who is unavailable to you....as simple as that.

3 cups rx would be unrequited feelings, of where the person never says anything about this, they'll keep it to themselves.

Example: You like someone but never say anything, you become shy about this, they don't know how to tell you, or even if they ever would dare to.