Cultivating Compassion Spread

punchinella

Hi everybody,

This spread is designed for analyzing relationships with difficult people. It's inspired by verse four of the Eight Verses of Thought Transformation (of Tibetan Buddhism) which reads:

"Whenever I meet a person of bad nature
who is overwhelmed by negative energy and intense suffering
I will hold such a rare one dear
as if I had found a precious treasure."

I lifted the above translation from page 79 of Cultivating a Compassionate Heart: the Yoga Method of Chenrezig by Thubten Chodron, although various translations, and explanations, of the Eight Verses of Thought Transformation are available in many places online.

I designed this spread for personal reasons, but thought it worthy of sharing with anyone interested. My purpose was to use tarot to help me apply the ideal of compassion, described above, to a real-life situation.

Here are the positions:

*******7*******
*******6*******
**4**2***3**5**
*******1*******

1) What is the obstacle to my compassion?
2) My attitude right now
3) The other person's attitude right now
4) My (best) potential in this relationship
5) The other person's (best) potential in this relationship
6) Best potential for the relationship itself
7) What, in this situation, is the most compassionate thing for me to do?

I guess this is a relationship reading, but it's not designed with romance, etc. in mind. It's really for using with those extraordinarily difficult, thorn-in-one's-side types of people, particularly if one (or q., whomever you are reading for) either cannot or chooses not to walk away.

If you wind up trying the spread, let me know how it works! I'll probably share my experiment with it in your readings as well.

Happy Saturday night!!!

CharlotteK

Hi everybody,

This spread is designed for analyzing relationships with difficult people. It's inspired by verse four of the Eight Verses of Thought Transformation (of Tibetan Buddhism) which reads:

"Whenever I meet a person of bad nature
who is overwhelmed by negative energy and intense suffering
I will hold such a rare one dear
as if I had found a precious treasure."

I lifted the above translation from page 79 of Cultivating a Compassionate Heart: the Yoga Method of Chenrezig by Thubten Chodron, although various translations, and explanations, of the Eight Verses of Thought Transformation are available in many places online.

I designed this spread for personal reasons, but thought it worthy of sharing with anyone interested. My purpose was to use tarot to help me apply the ideal of compassion, described above, to a real-life situation.

Here are the positions:

*******7*******
*******6*******
**4**2***3**5**
*******1*******

1) What is the obstacle to my compassion?
2) My attitude right now
3) The other person's attitude right now
4) My (best) potential in this relationship
5) The other person's (best) potential in this relationship
6) Best potential for the relationship itself
7) What, in this situation, is the most compassionate thing for me to do?

I guess this is a relationship reading, but it's not designed with romance, etc. in mind. It's really for using with those extraordinarily difficult, thorn-in-one's-side types of people, particularly if one (or q., whomever you are reading for) either cannot or chooses not to walk away.

If you wind up trying the spread, let me know how it works! I'll probably share my experiment with it in your readings as well.

Happy Saturday night!!!
Thank you for this spread, it looks wonderful. I have an ideal subject for it and will try it out today :)

Cynthia_H

Big thank you. Also, I have a relationship that I will use this spread for. Cheers, Cynthia.

punchinella

You're welcome! I hope it works for both of you :thumbsup:

Delsan19

I love this! Much appreciated.

punchinella

I'm glad! (And welcome to the forum Delsan :D )

Hemera

Thank you for posting this punchinella. I like this and I don't think we have anything quite like this in our Index so I'll add it there.