Ten of Swords as Intentions.

Hopefuldreamer

Someone did a quick reading for me about someone's intentions towards me. She pulled up the Ten of Swords and her interpretation was this:

This is not very pleasant card and I might be wrong, but seems like
he might be not so nice towards you. It looks like he might be
wishing that it would not go so well for you. I see that his intentions
towards you perhaps to make you fail. It might sound harsh,
but that what I see in this card

Now I can understand why she would get that from the Ten of Swords. It isn't a good card to usually pull up. Normally I feel dread when I myself pull the card up. The problem I have with it is that isn't the way his personality is. This isn't me having a biased opinion because I am hoping he is interested back. It's because I've known him for seven years. My interest in him only developed recently. I would say the same thing about him if I still saw him as a friend.

I know him really well, and when it comes to even people he hates, he doesn't wish bad things to happen to them. He tells people it's a waste of energy, and it's wrong. He would never go out of his way to screw someone over. When he dislikes someone, he just keeps his distance from them. He's the type of person who would help someone in a jam even if he isn't close to them.

When it comes to me, he has only ever been nice to me. He's always gone out of his way to help me. Last night I was feeling really sick at work, so I had to go home. He sent me a text asking me if I was okay, and he told me he hoped I'd get better soon. He always sticks up for me. He helped me get a TV that was too big and heavy to pick up. He usually volunteers to help me out. So that's why I find that interpretation very off.

So after that long explanation (and I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to include details) I was wondering if there could be another way to interpret this card as intentions. I can't really see any good intentions coming from the ten of swords. My only conclusion is maybe he intends to be protective or defensive of me. He's always been like that with me, even before we knew each other well he stuck up for me. Someone was making fun of me because I didn't get my license until I was in my 20s. He told them to shut up. The seven of wands came up after the ten of swords and that's usually a defensive card.

Perhaps even the reading was just off?

Barleywine

The 10 of Swords may not be outright "nasty" but simply "barren." I sometimes think of it as scorched earth in which nothing will grow for the time being. This probably has nothing to do with the dynamic between you, just the reality of the situation. Not all things are meant to be, at least on the schedule we would like.

Amanda

I've been contemplating this card a lot recently myself, actually. It came up in a position for "Where I want the relationship to go" with regard to my husband. The easy answer was that I want my relationship to /end/. It was /ruined/ and it should be /over/. That answer was a little too easy for me, however- my feelings are much less simpler than that.

For positions/situations such as this, I think I'm leaning towards this card meaning that someone wants something deeper. The swords pierce the entire body in the (RWS) card... they want to know you, every part of you and every last detail- until there is nothing left to know. That is, no secrets and perhaps total vulnerability.

Maybe he would literally lay down and die for you, as I would (and metaphorically did do) for my husband.

I do believe it was gregory that insists this card implied a marriage for her in a reading once.

Barleywine

That could very well be true as well. Right now things are slow between us just because of other circumstances and work. I was just concerned because it came up in the intentions spot. The rest of the cards were good....Her entire reading on him I felt was way off but she doesn't know him. My interpretation for the whole thing is that he is interested in me, but he is holding off for the time being because of work. He is being cautious because we work together and it will affect our work lives and personal lives. I'm just stuck on ten of swords being as someones intentions. I can understand why she thinks that.

Hmm . . . 7 of Wands following the 10 of Swords could mean he's conflicted over some unfinished business that won't go away. After reading Elizabeth Hazel's "The Tarot Decoded," I've taken on the idea that the Sevens all have to do with a "test," possibly leading to a "new direction," and perhaps a "need to clarify." This has more to do with number theory than traditional "generally accepted" meanings.

Hopefuldreamer

Hmm . . . 7 of Wands following the 10 of Swords could mean he's conflicted over some unfinished business that won't go away. After reading Elizabeth Hazel's "The Tarot Decoded," I've taken on the idea that the Sevens all have to de with a "test," possibly leading to a "new direction," and possibly a "need to clarify." This has more to due with number theory than traditional "generally accepted" meanings.
Well I know his ex has been bothering him, but he doesn't want anything to do with her.

Amanda

I just saw your post after I posted Amanda.

That could very well be true too. I'd never thought of it as that way at all. I'm not sure if it would go as far as dying for me since we're friends right now, but maybe that he would take on a lot for me as well. It could also mean he wants to get to know me better like you said. I guess it's true that some of the negative cards can have other meanings as well.

Perhaps, as a friend, you simply have his /total allegiance/ in that regard.
Swords often have to do with binding contracts, or simply sworn oaths, for me. If you have his total allegiance, then perhaps his intentions greatly depend on how you may direct them with your own intentions.

Hopefuldreamer

Could be that as well. For the record, he doesn't know my feelings have changed. I still just act like a friend around him because I am scared. I've been rejected a lot, and I've never actually had a relationship. I've lost friendships over it. Usually for me, they are friends first and then I fall for them, they get freaked out and stop talking to me. With him since we are friends and we work together, I am very cautious about not letting him see anything beyond friendship. So when I interpret the cards, I kind of think of how he might be thinking the same as well. There is so much to lose. I hadn't intended to like him; in fact, for a while there I was trying to ignore him because of my feelings but I couldn't do it. Plus he got upset when he couldn't understand why I would ignore him, so I stopped.

Barleywine

Perhaps 7 years with no movement on the emotional front is being shown in the 10 of Swords as him intending nothing: no harm but also no encouragement.

Hopefuldreamer

Could be that as well, but for about three years of our friendship he was dating someone. I was also interested in someone else. Nothing came from that, and that guy got a girlfriend. Him and I got closer after he broke up with his girlfriend about this time last year, and I was feeling lonely, but for me it was just a friendship and he was on the rebound. I know she's been trying to get back into his life lately and he is getting frustrated about her. He doesn't want anything to do with her.

Deana86

I've been contemplating this card a lot recently myself, actually. It came up in a position for "Where I want the relationship to go" with regard to my husband. The easy answer was that I want my relationship to /end/. It was /ruined/ and it should be /over/. That answer was a little too easy for me, however- my feelings are much less simpler than that.

For positions/situations such as this, I think I'm leaning towards this card meaning that someone wants something deeper. The swords pierce the entire body in the (RWS) card... they want to know you, every part of you and every last detail- until there is nothing left to know. That is, no secrets and perhaps total vulnerability.

Maybe he would literally lay down and die for you, as I would (and metaphorically did do) for my husband.

I do believe it was gregory that insists this card implied a marriage for her in a reading once.
Amanda wow I never would have interpretated this card in that way, but I like it. It makes sense when it comes to a relationship reading. I've had the ten of swords pop up a few times in my relationship spread and always thought the worst. Sometimes you need to think outside the box when it comes to tarots

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk