Birth of Christ´s images/tetramorphos/Tarot

Kether__

Dear friends

Does anybody knows if the traditional image of the birth of Christ, with Christ in the center, his mother, Maria, his adoptive father Joshef, the mule and the ox have any connection with the esoterical image of the tetramorphos surrounding an androgynous figure which appears in the 21th card of the Tarot

lark

Hi Kether

I have found this reference in the bible
Revelation 4:7
Ezekiel 1:6,10
It just seems to coincidental that the four figures on the World card are so perfectly described in Revelation 4:7

I found this reference
Lion leader among animals
Eagle leader among birds
Ox leader among domestic animals
Man leader among all creatures

What do you think?

Indigo Rose

Yes. I agree with the connection to Revelation 4:7 and will add that the 21st card or World card is about completion. Christ completed the mission he was sent to do on earth, and then ascended into heaven; clearly seen in this card.

Kether__

Hello Lark

Certainly, your quote is very interesting: it describes the four animals/symbols of the elements which appear in The World.
But I think the androgynous central figure at the World card maybe Christ, and a prefiguration of the image of this card could be seen at the Christ´s birth image. At least for me is very curious that is a similar disposition of the 5 figures.

More opinions?

Diana

Kether__ : You may like to have a look at this thread: XXI Le Monde

And if this still doesn't answer your question, or if you have your own thoughts to add to our discussion, please go ahead. We can never finish discussing these cards.

Kether__

Thank you very much , Diana.

It is now clear for me, the connection between the androgynous of The World and Christ, but there is still a question:

Is there any connection about the five figures in Christ´s birth(child Jesús, Maria, Joseph, the mule and the ox)and The World image.

Perhaps in english and german countries this iconical representation does not exist but is very traditional among latin countries, like Italy, France, Spain, Portugal.

Here you are a link to a pic.

http://www.artepaz.com/p55.html

Thank you

Best Wishes

Huck

Astrology

I've heard, that the 4 signs were derived from astrology, presenting

lion - Lion
bull - Taurus
man - Aquarius
eagle - as another interpretation of Scorpio

the four "fixed" signs.

In the mythological world Ganymedes (prototype of Aquarius) is connected to the eagle of Zeus.

jmd

In my personal view there is no doubt that the image arises from a combination of Ezekiel and Revelations, and the ways these went through transformations as the four Gospels authors.

I do not think, then, that the attendants to the Jesus babe are related. I suspect that the ways the Christmas birth image emerges is from combinations of descriptions in Mark and Luke - born in a manger (cow present) and shepherds attending (though they are supposed to have left their flock, sheep are bound to follow ;)).

The astrological correlation was bound to also have been made from a quite early day - from the days of Ezekiel, in my view - hence it is possible that Ezekiel's Chariot vision may itself have been influenced by forms of the four fixed signs of the zodiac, which were known and used at the time.

TemperanceAngel

I am so glad that I occaisonally wander or wonder :confused: err, probably both....

The information here never ceases to amaze :) XTAX

Macavity

Another idea (recently spotted in Duquette). They are the emblems (banner standards) of Four of the Tribes of Israel... who occupied the "sides of the camp": N:S:E:W - Judah (lion), Reuben (man), Ephraim (bull), Dan (eagle). Bible - Numb.2 ;)

Macavity

P.S. There are sites that cite no evidence for knowledge of the standard's symbols. :p