Art Deco Fortune Telling Cards

pippi

I received this deck today in my Christmas stocking (along with the Gypsy Witch deck) and I just love the images! But I'm not sure how to go about it. I will most likely just be using intuition and adding personal meanings to the keywords on the cards. It's quite confusing to try to find more information on how to read this particular deck, because I don't know the differences between Sibilla and Gipsy Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten, besides the number of cards in each deck.

So I think I'm pretty much on my own with creating my own meanings, which is fine with me. But I haven't decided what type of spreads would work best with this deck. I read the translation that Kahlie offered, but it didn't specify how to read the selected row. Do you just read the 13 cards like a story, from left to right, with no particular positions? Or do you then shuffle those 13 cards and lay them out in a spread? (Yes, I know I can do whatever the heck I want with them, but I was wondering if there was an intended method to this madness that is the Art Deco deck. LOL!)

This thread hasn't been touched in awhile...I'm wondering if by now anyone has further insight/experience with this deck to share?

Gavriela

There is a lot of similarity with the Italian sibillas, if that helps any, as well as the Gipsy cards, Kipperkarten, and Lenormand.

So I'd read it roughly the same way as I'd read a sibilla - using card combos.

I don't have the Art Deco. Do have the Gipsy cards, and the others, and with sibillas I use reversals, but not with the rest.

I'd say start slow, doing two or three-card combos at a time (if you get, say, Treason, Love, and the Message, for instance, it could indicate malicious gossip and betrayal, that kind of thing).

Wish I could be more help, but the brain's not functioning terribly well today. Still, if you know any of the standard fortune telling decks that go by reading combinations, you can usually apply at least some of the meanings to the others - quite a lot in most cases, as many of the cards are either the same, or similar.

pippi

No, I'm not familiar with any of the fortune telling decks, but I have just started playing around with cartomancy with regular playing cards. I do know how to work with combinations, rather than having cards be in specific positions, as I do this a lot with tarot too. The cartomancy and this new deck are really my first experiences with "fortune telling" decks. It's so fun to branch out and learn more! Thanks very much for your input!

Skydancer

I just bought this deck and will use the Lenormand meanings for the most part, as suggested.

Anyone who is interested in these oracles really should visit Seaqueen's site; can't tell you how extensive and how helpful it has been. And time consuming when you start following all the links!!! :laugh:

That's how I found out about the Shustah cards. :)

~hth
*S*

[edited:] Oh! Look what I just found!!

http://seaqueen.wordpress.com/art-deco-meanings/

pippi

:) I visit her daily! Seaqueen is wonderful!!

Bernice

I now have the 52-card Piatnik Art Deco Fortune Telling deck :)

As I'm more familiar with the Lenormand I've approached it like Skydancer - with one difference. After looking at each card it seemed to me that some are the opposite of others like Constancy & Inconstant, whereas others are very similar. I think this could make for confusion (for me), plus there are too many similar 'people' cards, like Male Widow & Female Widow, so I've carefully selected just 36 cards and they are working fine for me now.

Bee

Le Fanu

Oh I had a bloodthirsty purge with this deck and obliterated loads of people cards. There were just way too many of them. I remember the box has about half a dozen of the people cards in storage which I plucked out and which have never seen the light of day since...

Huxley

Hi

I got the Biedermeier (Piatnik no. 1904) set and it has a nice 18 page guide with 3 spreads.

Rows, The wheel of fortune, The Gipsy's Answer. As the Art Deco cards seem expand on the Biedermeier set, the gipsy's answer has worked very well for me.

Huxley

Found a German book on the art deco deck called
"Kartenlegen mit Art Deco - Wahrsagekarten"
by Henri Chapelle and Domenik Deveraux

Its 78 pages, one per card and some spreads in the back of the book.
Its very clear, easy to translate German.