Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

Wendywu

I heartily endorse that post Zan :thumbsup:

And I am looking forward to seeing what Kat has planned for us for the New Year :D

Once she's got over reading for me that is ........

thorhammer

I'm still recovering, Wendy :) 'Twas a harrowing reading ;)

Zan - excellent post. Thankyou for that. Right now I'm too tired (and tbh, a little blissed out :D) to respond coherently, so I'll come back tomorrow when others have had time to say their piece and I'll dodge the fallout.

But what you say is so true. I know as far as the "Intensive" side of things goes, I'm not really a good example right now :| but I am monogamous, and I've been with the same deck for about eight weeks now. I don't even miss the others.

Others? What others?

Discuss.

\m/ Kat

KafkasGhost

@Zan: gokurosama deshita...

While we're officially on page 20 and your post was on page 19, yes, I feel as if I'm on the same page. ;0)

I started this deck buying frenzy early on in my tarot life and I really needed an IDS to ground me. I thought it would be difficult being monogamous but I'm finding that as each day goes by, I want to go even deeper in our "relationship" and, like the others, I'm not even thinking of other decks.

ok, white lie, I did briefly think about another deck when I signed up the other day to do a PDR, but I intend to start that after I complete this IDS in mid-Feb. '10.

I'm also trying my personal best to take my deck for what it is, and not putting it up on a pedestal or making it into a person with whom I identify. It is, after all, a stack of card stock with ink (how I used to think of my "precious" costumes as small piles of plastic, glass, and spandex when you boil it down). But it's what I'm doing with the deck and how I'm allowing it to guide me into my own rabbit hole is how it's coming alive and showing a personality and supporting me and telling me like it is.

That I'm doing this in the company of many people much, much more learned than I, who are still finding excitement and mystery, and knowledge to be had, is quite an experience.

OK, off to eat cheap ramen for breakfast, low blood sugar is making me ramble nonsensically...

Wendywu

I love Ironwing - the deck is sooo huge. Really - it's huge, massive. So incredibly detailed, so broad in scope.

I don't have a single impulse to use another deck. My serious problem is that I have about 100 other decks which I could push out of the door tomorrow and not miss. (There are about 20 I'd hang on to, but which it doesn't occur to me to take out and look at).

The exclusive use of one deck is a terrific focus - there are people on the board who work only with one deck and have only worked with their chosen deck for many years. The intensity of their understanding of their deck is quite something to think about.

We all have different approaches to our IDS - I think what we need in common is the exclusive use of the one deck, and the intensive use of it. Beyond that how one person relates to their deck is their business. I don't however think that one can be said to be doing an IDS unless it involves regular reading with and study of, that chosen and exclusive deck.

hunter

Zan, thank you for the movie tip. I had no interest in the movie until you compared it to an IDS. Now I cannot wait to see it.

For me I have learned more from my failed IDSs than any "successful" ones. Why didn't I stick with the deck? There were often good reasons. Things I remember as I try each new IDS.

And what I write online, may not really be indicative of what I'm DOING. There are days I have stuck with my IDS and spent hours using my deck, but did not post about it in this thread, because honestly I don't think anyone is interested in my wacky trial and also some of why I'm doing what I'm doing is kinda whiny sounding and lots of personal info.

December is a tough month! What people do in December...is well...not indicative of January for sure!

My IDS was only supposed to last a couple weeks. I may extend it. I may move on to the MAAT. I'll probably be enmeshed in both.

The Zerner Farber has soothed me, effortlessly, through a tough season, asking little and giving much. It will always be a fallback kit to fall back on when I am overwhelmed. The purple KISS has been a success in my eyes and a grand one.

Yeah I put the Druidcraft on my solstice altar and talked about it. And bought an $8.00 Art Nouveau mini, and used it for one romantic based, snippy reading I wouldn't want to taint my other decks with. And I have been investigating the MAAT. I still don't have a sword/fire, wand/air deck that lines up at all with the hereditary witchcraft course I'm studying right now.

I was too overwhelmed over the holidays to worry about sword and wands and collapsed into the purple Kiss.

So for me, I've grown and learned and I'm happy with what I've done...but maybe this is not the place to talk about my journey. Instead of updating my journey, I think I might just remove my name from the list. I don't want to be a distraction or hindrance.

Thanks again for the movie tip Zan, and I wish everyone here good luck on their personal Tarot Journeys.

emmsma

I was happy to discover yesterday, when I did my reading, that I am still very happy with my chosen deck.

I just received the Flornoy Noblet. As is my usual, I look through the deck before putting it away. I was happy with it. It looks great. Look forward to reading with it some time in the future.

Then I did the reading and saw, yep the AGM is the deck I want to be using.

As nice as the Noblet is, its the AGM that seems most warm and inviting to me. They are the friendly and welcoming faces that I need to be working with now.

I did slow down some, with the holidays, but I'm ready to dive back into it.

thorhammer

Hunter - I can respect what you've said there :) Have you had a look in at what Onyx and the others are doing with the Primary Deck Reflections? I'm guessing it's also in the Talking Tarot subforum, and seems much more suited to what you're doing at the moment. Pop in and say hi :)

I'm really glad that your chosen strategy has worked for you, in any case. And I didn't know that MAAT was swords=fire . . . you learn something every day.

Respectfully taking you off the list :)

emmsma - I don't even know the AGM deck you're using :) I'm tempted to go off and have a look . . . }) and I know that the Noblet is very *clean* looking and kind of intimidates me where other TdMs are much more approachable. Warm, as you say.

I'm up for a nice day of reading along with my Blake book and deck, and the book I got from the library about Blake's life and the times in which he lived. It's really enlightening and I wanted to get a bit of an overview before I try and read any of his poetry - as much as I love poetry, I can't read any more than about four lines at a time without getting carried away with the rhythm and losing track of the words. But his poems are a big part of understanding his inner Universe and so the basis upon which the deck is founded.

I'll journal another couple of cards today, as well. I've done three so far (dismal, I know :( but the quality is really there) and I'm thinking about cleaning up what I've written for the study groups. I'm surprised that Le Fanu hasn't started a study group for the deck! LOL

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Oh, and one more thing . . . can I just recommend, highly! the forum software's function whereby you can change the posts per page from ten to fifty? If you're on a slow, heavy dialup that could be annoying, but if you've reasonably good connection it is so much easier. You lose the track of the thread so much less and it's heaps easier to find posts you want!

\m/ Kat

Faolainn Storm

thorhammer said:
Oh, and one more thing . . . can I just recommend, highly! the forum software's function whereby you can change the posts per page from ten to fifty? If you're on a slow, heavy dialup that could be annoying, but if you've reasonably good connection it is so much easier. You lose the track of the thread so much less and it's heaps easier to find posts you want!

\m/ Kat

The only problem with that is when you're reading a long thread, and someone says something was mentioned "back on page 8" and you look at your pages, and think "... but I only have four pages??" You then have to work out which posts are equal to page eight. :D

FS

thorhammer

Faolainn Storm said:
The only problem with that is when you're reading a long thread, and someone says something was mentioned "back on page 8" and you look at your pages, and think "... but I only have four pages??" You then have to work out which posts are equal to page eight. :D

FS
I know what you mean! But that gets easier . . . and gives one the smug feeling of being able to see things at a glance ROFL

\m/ Kat