Is there a card that you never quite 'get' or relate to?

Barleywine

Thanks for this BW :)

"not yet manifested" has, largely, not been my experience here tho I agree it could be. I've had the ace of coins, for example, sum up where a relationship was currently at; for me a solid initial foundation.

Understood. My view was a qabalistic one supported by esoteric number theory. In practice, I often tell clients the Ace is a good "launch pad."

samantha

Understood. My view was a qabalistic one supported by esoteric number theory. In practice, I often tell clients the Ace is a good "launch pad."

Ok. I see what you are saying. Tho this beggars the question of exactly what *derails* (?) the theoretical - is this something like Plato and his forms ? (I'm ignorant of Qabala :( )

Maru

I'm lucky none of the cards make me feel totally lost... but I cheat a little bit. When I go through a keyword list or look up definitions... I can find the correct meaning by feeling the "weight" of the words so to speak... and so then I get to use that to help me make connections. So I at least have a basic understanding in terms of why certain kinds might show up... because I've done this with the cards enough to know.

One particular site that is my favorite for this trick is learntarot.com/cards... it is white with black text and has keyword headers up top... I can scan those, as well as scan the keyword list in the bottom and feel the ones that fit. Sometimes I have to float between a few of them and feel subtle weight and then write it down to find the correct meaning through more searches or combining with other intuition... but it's not so hard at least once you know what you might be looking for. I suggest anyone to try it if they can... or put finger to screen over the words and see if this helps to change your feeling and notice a difference sense. Listen for the 'tell'.

Enlightenment23

It took me the better part of 40 years to really get comfortable with Temperance. All of the references to alchemy seemed to obscure any practical, day-to-day relevance for it. (Let me say that, like Paul Foster Case, I never believed that Temperance simply means "moderation.") Finally, I took all the esoteric literature I own and extracted as much useful information as I could from it, then wrote my own interpretive guideline. Now I see it as a card of finesse, and of "the Fine Art of Right Action."

It took one awful experience for me to truly grasp Temperance.

When I used to work for an online media company, I had to pitch articles to my editor that would impress her. I'd make a list of article ideas and pull cards for how my editor would feel about my submitted copy.

I pulled Temperance for one and thought "Oh. She will find the article to fit just right with the site." I had this "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" perception of Temperance - the porridge that was "juuuust right."

Boy was I wrong. The editor repeatedly kept sending the article back to me to make changes. It was always "This article is great. But it needs juuuuuust a few tweaks." And "Almost there! Now it needs more authorative links!"

It needed so much tweaking, and changing, and taking things out, and adding things, even getting an expert opinion before the editor can say 'Voila! Its ready to be published."

That's how I learned Temperance. Its not about being just right, its about the act of making adjustments to create the most harmonious outcome

JoJoCat

I feel this way about Temperance and Star. Maybe bc they are the two eyes in the storm of all of the awfulness and I just don't understand how what they do is enough to mitigate against Death Devil Tower LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barleywine

It took one awful experience for me to truly grasp Temperance.

When I used to work for an online media company, I had to pitch articles to my editor that would impress her. I'd make a list of article ideas and pull cards for how my editor would feel about my submitted copy.

I pulled Temperance for one and thought "Oh. She will find the article to fit just right with the site." I had this "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" perception of Temperance - the porridge that was "juuuust right."

Boy was I wrong. The editor repeatedly kept sending the article back to me to make changes. It was always "This article is great. But it needs juuuuuust a few tweaks." And "Almost there! Now it needs more authorative links!"

It needed so much tweaking, and changing, and taking things out, and adding things, even getting an expert opinion before the editor can say 'Voila! Its ready to be published."

That's how I learned Temperance. Its not about being just right, its about the act of making adjustments to create the most harmonious outcome

If you read the write-up I posted for Padma, I think you'll see that we agree on this point.

Barleywine

I feel this way about Temperance and Star. Maybe bc they are the two eyes in the storm of all of the awfulness and I just don't understand how what they do is enough to mitigate against Death Devil Tower LOL

Interesting thought. I don't see it so much as "mitigating," more as "evolutionary."

If you think of the progression of the 22 Major Arcana as the "Fool's Journey," by which the Fool gradually transforms from a callow neophyte into a wise and seasoned adept, both Death and the "one-two punch" of the Devil and the Tower (symbolized by the two astrological "malefics," Saturn and Mars) can "wipe the slate clean," requiring a philosophical readjustment in order to see a way forward. Temperance (which has been related to the idealistic sign Sagittarius) and the Star (connected to the abstract and "scientific" sign Aquarius) offer insights into where to go next after the "awfulness" descends, perhaps showing ways to disassociate from the immediacy of the situation and take a broader, more reasoned view of it. Basically a shift in perspective that allows a pause in the action and time to regroup. I'm constantly reminded of something James Wanless said: "There are no negative cards, only opportunities."

Barleywine

I'm lucky none of the cards make me feel totally lost... but I cheat a little bit. When I go through a keyword list or look up definitions... I can find the correct meaning by feeling the "weight" of the words so to speak... and so then I get to use that to help me make connections. So I at least have a basic understanding in terms of why certain kinds might show up... because I've done this with the cards enough to know.

Before I largely dispensed with books as "training wheels" (although I'll still refer to them - and not always just tarot books - occasionally when really stuck and need inspiration), this is pretty much how I worked: a way of "sifting" or "filtering" the mass of information to see what rises to the top for the matter at hand. I see it as applying a different kind of intuition that operates in tandem with the intuitive insights arising from the card images themselves. Since purely visual impressions have to be reduced to words in order to be communicated, I saw this as perfectly natural. I still do it, but now it's almost always an internal associative process.

Barleywine

Ok. I see what you are saying. Tho this beggars the question of exactly what *derails* (?) the theoretical - is this something like Plato and his forms ? (I'm ignorant of Qabala :( )

I think the idea is more "formless" than even "Plato's forms." (Been a long time since my last philosophy class.) It's more the idea of the theoretical "point," which has no dimension and no directional bias, it just "is" in a featureless way until the idea of movement and direction are brought into the picture with the number Two, the "line." Therefore, the Aces have "quality" but not much "quantity."

Ruby Jewel

"Ask and ye shall . . . probably wish ye hadn't." This is the write-up I did on the subject. WARNING: Dense Crowleyism ahead!

Hi Barleywine. I find it interesting that Sagittarius is alloted the Temperance card because not only is Sagittarius fiery and "hot headed", but in astrology is the sign of "hoof and mouth disease." In other words, always putting their foot in their mouth....about as remote from actual temperance as one can get. Just curious what your thoughts on that might be.