Pearls of Wisdom - Page of Pentacles

Rede Seeker

A busy fellow in a somewhat gloomy place. He's dressed it up to his liking, though, and is busy studying his craft.

There is a small high window through which the sun beams brightly. There is a patch of blue sky behind it and a hint of foliage in the lower left corner. Three clear crystal points rest on the lower right corner of the high window. Outside his enclosure, it might be quite pleasant.

Our Page smiles as he works. He sits on a stool at a heavy wooden table. The table stands on what looks to be red carpet. It could be the beginnings of the pentacle pattern we see beneath the Knight of Pentacles, the Queen and King. There is a ledger book, a strand of pearls, and columns and purses of golden coins placed on the table top. The purses are purple sacks with a pentacle pattern on the outside and green drawstrings. The Page holds a quill in his right hand and appears to be marking in the ledger while he counts with his left hand.

There is something blue in the left corner of the Page's enclosed space/room. Any thoughts on what that could be?

There is a tall vase of tiger lilies set in front of the Page and another bouquet of tiger lilies to his left.

Our Page wears a tight cap with a feather. He wears a white, long sleeved shirt and his trousers are blue (denim?) He wears high gold-colored bootes. Long white sleeves are a daring thing to wear when writing with a quill - what's to keep his cuffs clean? Practice, Practice, Practice. No sign in this card that those cuffs have been smudged - he takes his position seriously and attends to his grooming.

He wears a purple cloak. I'm not sure if it's fastened at the neck with a gold coin/pentacle or if the pentacle is a pendant to the pearl necklace he wears.

There is a large red flower at each top corner of this card. It looks to be a peony. There is a gold pentacle bracket on each column from which hangs a pearl necklace. At the lower lefthand corner, there is a large gold pentacle/coin and what looks to be peony petals. There is a purple coin purse with pentacle decoration and green and pearl purse-strings at the lower righthand corner. There are peony petals there, too.

The Rune Fehu is marked on the left column; Perthro on the right.
Fehu = Wealth and Fire of Gold = First Aettir, First Rune
Perthro = Luck and Good Fortune = Second Aettir, Sixth Rune
Fehu + Perthro = 1 + 14 = 15 = Elhaz; I see this as a warning - the Old English Rune Poem for Elhaz is:

'Elk's sedge has its home most often in the fen,
It waxes in the water and grimly wounds and burns with blood
Any man who, in any way, tries to grasp it.'

The warning is to gently hold what you have; gently gather it - if you go too quickly, or rashly - what you desire will wound you.

Our Page seems content with his/her lessons. He/she is disciplined (working indoors while the sun and sky indicate a beautiful day outside). His chair is not a particularly comfortable one, but it makes getting up and moving on easier. That's what our Page wants - to perfect his craft and move to the next step. The warning is to not rush that process.

Marli

The Blue In The Corner

Wow RS,

Yet another fantastic description, the blue in the corner are 2 treasure chests.

And just to add a little onto what you said, according to the little green book:

The Tiger Lilies represent wealth, pride of accomplishment &

The Peony represents money.

and her definition of the Runes vary just a little:

Fehu: Possessions and nourishment

Perth: Questing, inititation, the powers of nature and spirit at work, secret forces.

So this falls in line with what you said

Rede Seeker said:
Our Page seems content with his/her lessons. He/she is disciplined (working indoors while the sun and sky indicate a beautiful day outside). His chair is not a particularly comfortable one, but it makes getting up and moving on easier. That's what our Page wants - to perfect his craft and move to the next step. The warning is to not rush that process.

I think the presence of the tiger lillies here represents how the Pages "tutor/father" feels about his wealth, I think it may be his fathers' room, as he wears a purple cloak, which is the colour of royalty. Maybe this is a journey that he's willing to make because he knows that at the end of it all, it will eventually all be his, so he's seeking his own interest.... Any thoughts?

Rede Seeker

The Goal

Maybe we are projecting more into the Page's intent than a single card warrants. It could go either way. The Page is focused on his/her studies. Whether his/her skill gains him what he wants or whether he uses it to benefit others would be depend on the other cards in the reading.

jcwirish

Personally, I really like this page. I think this interpretation of him offers so much more information than the usual image. Seeing him there at his desk with that thoughtful expression on his face makes him feel all the more human to me. I can identify with him and what he's doing.

Emm, I think he's familiar because I'm pretty sure you pulled him for my reading.

emmsma

It is interesting to read what others have felt/thought/seen in the Page of Pentacles.

I see him as a diligent worker. Dedicated and focused. It would be easy to be distracted by the beautiful day outside, or resentful at being indoors and missing it, but I see no restlessness or resentment at his appointed task.

He takes care and is organized. He is taking stock of what he has. Perhaps also, making plans for the future.

The crystals use the suns rays to focus and illuminate just what he has.

I look at the Runic associations to show:
Fehu - His possessions, do not only indicate his physical possessions, but also his skills and the qualities that will help further his progress. It is these things that nourish him and carry him forward to

Perth - Initiation and inner growth. It is only when he has logged and assessed that which he has that he can take the next step to reflect on those things and decide where they will lead him.

jcwirish

Another thought I will add, when I see the sun shining through the window and illuminating the crystals, I get the feeling that this indicates an new thought or epiphany, like the page has just realized something new that has never occurred to him before. It reminds of that energy burst one feels when they see something familiar from a new perspective. It's one of those "aha" moments.

jcwirish

emmsma said:
It is interesting to read what others have felt/thought/seen in the Page of Pentacles.

I see him as a diligent worker. Dedicated and focused. It would be easy to be distracted by the beautiful day outside, or resentful at being indoors and missing it, but I see no restlessness or resentment at his appointed task.

He takes care and is organized. He is taking stock of what he has. Perhaps also, making plans for the future.

The crystals use the suns rays to focus and illuminate just what he has.

I look at the Runic associations to show:
Fehu - His possessions, do not only indicate his physical possessions, but also his skills and the qualities that will help further his progress. It is these things that nourish him and carry him forward to

Perth - Initiation and inner growth. It is only when he has logged and assessed that which he has that he can take the next step to reflect on those things and decide where they will lead him.

I agree Emm. He's a bookish sort, and he's doing the thing that gets his blood pumping. He's enjoying himself. The page of wands may prefer to exercise his body, but this one likes to get a workout of the mind. Does that make sense?

emmsma

jcwirish said:
Another thought I will add, when I see the sun shining through the window and illuminating the crystals, I get the feeling that this indicates an new thought or epiphany, like the page has just realized something new that has never occurred to him before. It reminds of that energy burst one feels when they see something familiar from a new perspective. It's one of those "aha" moments.

Oh, I like this! Yes. It is an aHa!

jcwirish

emmsma said:
Oh, I like this! Yes. It is an aHa!

Oh good I'm glad you agree with this.

I just took a look at all the pages and both the page of pents and swords have these crystals. I think of them as the more thoughtful of the pages, so that makes sense to me. The page of cups has his heart that does his thinking for him, and the page of wands is using his body and his energy to express himself, but pents and swords are thinking about who they want to be and what they need to learn.

emmsma

Hexi/Roxie is making me wish I had time to study the flowers. They are always there - a presence, but in the form of a secret for me. I know they are there for a reason, but don't have that knowledge for myself.

Makes me want a flower deck. :p Almost.