Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

10 of cups when is positive and when could be negative?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards


 
Prilica's Avatar
Prilica  Prilica is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 16 Jan 2012
Location: Only here
Posts: 1,287
Prilica 
10 of cups when is positive and when could be negative?


I have this doubt, for what I know the 10 of cups has negative attributions sometimes, like happiness that won't last... Like a fairy tale so to say that we don't know what goes next. But it also is very positive for me at least... So this has become confusing for me. When do you know it is showing negative aspects? I use reversals so it could help, but usually not. And when do you think it's positive?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts
Top   #1
elena_jaymz's Avatar
elena_jaymz  elena_jaymz is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Slytherin
Posts: 1,407
elena_jaymz 

Hi Prilica, I think it really depends on the position and on the context.
For example if you get 10 Cups as an obstacle/block, I'd say you have to interpret it negatively, while as an advice I'd go for its positive meaning.
However I'd find it hard to undestard it, for example, in outcome or future position, because it may be not necessarly positive, so it does confuse me too
Top   #2
Thirteen's Avatar
Thirteen  Thirteen is offline
The Thirteenth Moon
 
Join Date: 17 Sep 2001
Location: Pluto
Posts: 8,760
Thirteen 
Smile


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prilica View Post
When do you know it is showing negative aspects? I use reversals so it could help, but usually not. And when do you think it's positive?
If you are using reversals, then that seals the deal. Negative when reversed, positive when not. If you are not using reversals, then as said, consider position, and consider other cards.

In a CC for example, if the near future card isn't looking so good (say, 7/Cups, daydreaming), then maybe you should consider the outcome card in the negative (10/Cups fantasyland denial). If the near future is more positive (the Sun--seeing things clearly, feeling energized and productive), suggesting you might be moving forward in the right direction, then the outcome might be seen in a positive light (10/Cups--a solid partnership and loving family).

Those other cards are there for a reason, and the picture they paint leads up to the outcome. Sometimes that outcome is glowing and successful in spite of the odds presented by the other cards, but often the outcome reflects the sum of all those other cards. What's most important to remember, however, is that the outcome is not set in stone. If it suggests to you the negative (fantasyland), well, now you know. And now you can ask the cards, "How can I turn this negative into a positive?" How, in other words, can you turn that reversal right-side-up.

The cards aren't there to show you what is next in your script of life, written by someone else like a movie. The cards are there to help *you* write up your own script; to help you avoid outcomes that you don't want, and create outcomes that you do want. To make what you want to happen, happen if it's at all possible.
Top   #3
Puffette's Avatar
Puffette  Puffette is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 25 Jul 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,173
Puffette 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prilica View Post
I have this doubt, for what I know the 10 of cups has negative attributions sometimes, like happiness that won't last... Like a fairy tale so to say that we don't know what goes next. But it also is very positive for me at least... So this has become confusing for me. When do you know it is showing negative aspects? I use reversals so it could help, but usually not. And when do you think it's positive?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts

The 10 of cups for me is the equivalent of the 10 of hearts in the playing cards. Lets say i had a bad line of spades or clubs and this line of cards ended in 10 of hearts-for me it meant authomatically that the problem is going to have a happy end,the trouble will solve ecc...
10 of cups on long term(distant future) is the best card you could get,but on short term it shows tiny moments of joy,relaxation and laughing.
Is positive for what you have asked and if this is what you expect then enjoy it..
But it becomes negative when it comes in reverse or as obstacle/opposition to something u asked.. Let's say u asked about an ex partner if u reconcile and u get this card as obstacle then for me its a clear sign the guy is taken already(this is a small example to make myself clear).
All in all the 10 of cups is a bright card and whatever problem u have,then expect an improvement,a happy end. The rainbow in the picture is in correlation with the rainbow God put at the end of the flood to show Noah that after a disaster there is always a new chance at the horizon.
Top   #4
Metafizzypop's Avatar
Metafizzypop  Metafizzypop is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 Oct 2007
Location: The Collective Unconscious
Posts: 2,161
Metafizzypop 

The 10 of Cups can represent excess of emotion. Because 10 is the highest number in the suit that covers emotion. This card may come up for someone who is high on love, so to speak. Someone who is deliriously and unrealistically hoping for the best. And this is right side up. Reversed, it's someone who has sunk into the depths of emotion, like despair, for example.

I once did a reading for a friend, and the shadow card was the 10 of Cups. I found out later that her brother had had an unfortunate accident. He had driven off a pier into the Atlantic Ocean. He survived it, but the accident was not his fault. A sign that was supposed to be on the road hadn't been placed there yet. It was late at night, it was dark, and........whoops.

With Cups being the water suit, anything resembling drowning, in anything, either water, emotion, obsession, anything at all, is a possibility.
Top   #5
violetdaisy's Avatar
violetdaisy  violetdaisy is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 May 2015
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 749
violetdaisy 

I mentioned, in an interpretation somewhere on here, that 10c is an ideal. The cards surrounding would indicate if the ideal is realistic or not, or positive or not. I would love to see 10c as an outcome...when referring to the future...for me, you really need it to accomplish 10p. One is incomplete without the other. 10w & 10s are more negative...in most circumstances. So if you have 10c with 10s ... There's a definite ending to a positive phase (but is needed to progress). If you have 10c with 10w - things are just tooooo much, but you are handling it, for the time being.


And...that ends my ramble....
Top   #6
Prilica's Avatar
Prilica  Prilica is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 16 Jan 2012
Location: Only here
Posts: 1,287
Prilica 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elena_jaymz View Post
Hi Prilica, I think it really depends on the position and on the context.
For example if you get 10 Cups as an obstacle/block, I'd say you have to interpret it negatively, while as an advice I'd go for its positive meaning.
However I'd find it hard to undestard it, for example, in outcome or future position, because it may be not necessarly positive, so it does confuse me too
Very good point, about the positions, thank you Elena... I see it depends where it falls. [emoji4]
Top   #7
Prilica's Avatar
Prilica  Prilica is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 16 Jan 2012
Location: Only here
Posts: 1,287
Prilica 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
If you are using reversals, then that seals the deal. Negative when reversed, positive when not. If you are not using reversals, then as said, consider position, and consider other cards.

In a CC for example, if the near future card isn't looking so good (say, 7/Cups, daydreaming), then maybe you should consider the outcome card in the negative (10/Cups fantasyland denial). If the near future is more positive (the Sun--seeing things clearly, feeling energized and productive), suggesting you might be moving forward in the right direction, then the outcome might be seen in a positive light (10/Cups--a solid partnership and loving family).

Those other cards are there for a reason, and the picture they paint leads up to the outcome. Sometimes that outcome is glowing and successful in spite of the odds presented by the other cards, but often the outcome reflects the sum of all those other cards. What's most important to remember, however, is that the outcome is not set in stone. If it suggests to you the negative (fantasyland), well, now you know. And now you can ask the cards, "How can I turn this negative into a positive?" How, in other words, can you turn that reversal right-side-up.

The cards aren't there to show you what is next in your script of life, written by someone else like a movie. The cards are there to help *you* write up your own script; to help you avoid outcomes that you don't want, and create outcomes that you do want. To make what you want to happen, happen if it's at all possible.
Thank you thirteen for your insight, even being rx I sometimes disregard the possible negative meaning depending on the cards that surround it, but yes usually negative. About comparing the future with the outcome, it makes a lot of sense... Like a very likely positive or negative depending on what the other cards say, thank you for pointing that,and yes O agree the outcome may change depending on our actions... But it depends the case sometimes outer circumstances play a major role
Top   #8
dailytarot's Avatar
dailytarot  dailytarot is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Jan 2016
Location: Brazil
Posts: 103
dailytarot 

10 of cups is very good. Realization of emotions, confort, kindnes, being accepted, build a family...

I have no bad experiences with it yet.
Top   #9
Prilica's Avatar
Prilica  Prilica is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 16 Jan 2012
Location: Only here
Posts: 1,287
Prilica 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffette View Post
The 10 of cups for me is the equivalent of the 10 of hearts in the playing cards. Lets say i had a bad line of spades or clubs and this line of cards ended in 10 of hearts-for me it meant authomatically that the problem is going to have a happy end,the trouble will solve ecc...
10 of cups on long term(distant future) is the best card you could get,but on short term it shows tiny moments of joy,relaxation and laughing.
Is positive for what you have asked and if this is what you expect then enjoy it..
But it becomes negative when it comes in reverse or as obstacle/opposition to something u asked.. Let's say u asked about an ex partner if u reconcile and u get this card as obstacle then for me its a clear sign the guy is taken already(this is a small example to make myself clear).
All in all the 10 of cups is a bright card and whatever problem u have,then expect an improvement,a happy end. The rainbow in the picture is in correlation with the rainbow God put at the end of the flood to show Noah that after a disaster there is always a new chance at the horizon.
Thank you Puffet, I see now it depends on the question and the position, and yes! The rainbow seems like the happy ending.. A bright card mostly . [emoji4]
Top   #10




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.