Tarot on TV

Rhinemaiden

Tonight on a Bones re-run, Harbingers in the Fountain, a psychic played by guest star Cyndi Lauper used a tarot deck several times in the episode. I immediately recognized it as a Rider Waite... but which one? I kept saying "show the backs, show the card back"... at last... we saw the card back...stars on a dark background. Mystery solved! It was......

a Universal Waite! (But you knew that already.... ;) )

Fun episode!

------------------

Any more tv episodes featuring tarot? Which deck(s)?

cardlady22

;) It isn't an actual deck of tarot cards, but this episode of Xena Warrior Princess has a lot of character/costuming based on a deck! :p
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751535/

Season 3, The Bitter Suite

Aivli

Yay! Found this thread finally. I posted this last night (before I found this thread already existed):

Does anyone watch Raising Hope (on FOX)? In tonight's episode (Tues Feb 7, 2012), Virginia starts her own business as a Tarot Reader, (to prove a point to her husband). She pretty much just makes stuff up to manipulate people into doing what she wants, and to try to help her family. In the end she decides that it's "too much power and responsibility", and quits.

I know it's media like this that helps gives readers and tarot a bad wrap, but I thought it was funny. "Yup, its right here... This one means cut that rattail off... Get rid of the naked girl mud flaps... and call your mother". "Oooh", shows the 3 of Swords. "This one means someone's a selfish lover..." I couldn't help laughing at this lighthearted comedy.

Should I feel guilty? Am I way off base?

Also, I thought it would be fun to track tarot in the media. So, if you see it on tv or, in a movie, etc. reply to this post with your sighting and thoughts!

(Sure hope I'm posting this in the correct section of the forum)

janie144

Does anyone know if this is a real deck? It is from an episode of Supernatural.

Supernatural Card

GoldenWolf

Tarot on "The River"

One of the characters used a Tarot deck on this show last night. I didn't recognize the image that they used of the Hanged Man (referred to in Spanish and I don't recall the name they used). This image was central to the plot. However, when the character who pulled the card out of the deck put it back in and handled the cards, it looked like the rest of the deck was a Rider Waite with the blue plaid backs. I assume that someone dummied up a card that looked more dramatic or whatever for the close up, but didn't bother with remaking the other cards in a similar style.

LadyDeborah

In the first season of "Boardwalk Empire" there was a Fortune Teller shown in s few episodes. I kept hoping that they would create a bigger part in some way, but they didn't. I couldn't tell what deck she was using, either. Anyway, I loved the "shop" she was in on the boardwalk.

vee

The Mad Men Tarot episode! http://corrinekenner.com/2008/10/22/the-mad-men-tarot-reading/ Uses RWS.

Also worth a look is HBO's Carnivale, which featured a tarot reader as a main character. A deck was even created for the show.

Also, an episode of the XFiles that has tarot cards is Clyde Bruckman's Final Reponse. It's been ages since I've seen it though, so I've no idea what deck it is.

Jet Aluna

Tarot on Raising Hope

Yay! Found this thread finally. I posted this last night (before I found this thread already existed):

Does anyone watch Raising Hope (on FOX)? In tonight's episode (Tues Feb 7, 2012), Virginia starts her own business as a Tarot Reader, (to prove a point to her husband). She pretty much just makes stuff up to manipulate people into doing what she wants, and to try to help her family. In the end she decides that it's "too much power and responsibility", and quits.

I know it's media like this that helps gives readers and tarot a bad wrap, but I thought it was funny. "Yup, its right here... This one means cut that rattail off... Get rid of the naked girl mud flaps... and call your mother". "Oooh", shows the 3 of Swords. "This one means someone's a selfish lover..." I couldn't help laughing at this lighthearted comedy.

Should I feel guilty? Am I way off base?

Also, I thought it would be fun to track tarot in the media. So, if you see it on tv or, in a movie, etc. reply to this post with your sighting and thoughts!

(Sure hope I'm posting this in the correct section of the forum)

I loved the episode. OK, it was RAISING HOPE, so you know it's not going to be a thoughtful treatise on the ethics of Tarot reading, but in their own way, they did deal with the idea that giving advice to people is a huge responsibility. The episode made me laugh, I even blogged... and then I called my mother! (If you saw the episode, that totally makes sense.)

Jet Aluna

Storm82

One of the characters used a Tarot deck on this show last night. I didn't recognize the image that they used of the Hanged Man (referred to in Spanish and I don't recall the name they used). This image was central to the plot. However, when the character who pulled the card out of the deck put it back in and handled the cards, it looked like the rest of the deck was a Rider Waite with the blue plaid backs. I assume that someone dummied up a card that looked more dramatic or whatever for the close up, but didn't bother with remaking the other cards in a similar style.

you could be right,
but it would be interesting to know where the ElColgado ( i think its called) was from