Faeries Oracle ... aah, what a disappointment

bladeraven

Lol...cute very cute...lol...need to gain some more weight here...still a bit under for as far along as I am..

I may join up...need to practice with these cards before they decide to tie up my dog or something to get my attention to them.

selkie

I too was disappointed with this deck, since I love the artwork of Froud. You might find Anna Franklin's Fairy Ring cards more to your liking, however.

Jewel

selkie said:
I too was disappointed with this deck, since I love the artwork of Froud. You might find Anna Franklin's Fairy Ring cards more to your liking, however.
Selkie, out of curiosity, what disappointed you?

selkie

I am not sure. Maybe because in the books, accompanied by the text & captions his drawings seemed to have a bit of humour in them which was lost in the card illstrations.
Maybe he should do a "pressed fairy" deck?

Jewel

selkie said:
I am not sure. Maybe because in the books, accompanied by the text & captions his drawings seemed to have a bit of humour in them which was lost in the card illstrations.
Maybe he should do a "pressed fairy" deck?
~giggles~ He should indeed. Since your dislike does not seem to be the deck itself, but how the book descriptions relate to the deck, I would recommend you do the exercises in the front of the book so you get to know the faeries on your own terms, and ignore the book. You will find it amazing to realize how intuitive this deck is. Many of us here did all the exercises first, and when we saw the card meanings were pretty struck by how much we had inferred from the cards themselves (and without the book writters humor). Then we have discussions of the cards and share our perspectives.

If you love his artwork, and like the pictures in the deck, then don't give up on them. If you find that they are just not for you and you don't want the deck post it in the trading forum, I am sure you will get some takers. I might even try a trade with you as I would like to have a spare.

Hope to see you around the study group.

selkie

Oh, no. I am a collector as well, so I do intend to keep them. I have over 250 sets right now. I even have a few duplicates that I would like to trade, but until I sign up for a complete membership, I am not able to participate on the trade forum (am I?). I hope to soon, though.
For now, I think I will try to trade some of my duplicates at the New Age Fair this weekend. I will probably even buy at least one more....or two...or three...

Jewel

selkie said:
I even have a few duplicates that I would like to trade, but until I sign up for a complete membership, I am not able to participate on the trade forum (am I?).

I think you can, but I think you have to have a certain minimum of posts, not sure how many though. It should say so at the trading forum.

sharpchick

Red Emma said:
Dwaas has more internal fortitude than I do. I was just going to keep my mouth shut.

After reading about the deck here at ATF for a couple of years, and from people I respect, I decided to buy it. Could hardly wait for it to come. Studied it for several weeks, tried a few layouts. It just didn't work for me.

I wonder if it works best for people who, themselves, are a little fey. And I'm just much too much the Queen of Swords. I seem to approach life from the intellect. Which, very likely is my loss. But I can't change my eye color either.

I gave my deck to my women's spirit group for a Festival of Lights raffle. I understand that the woman who purchased it is very pleased with it.

So now, at least here in Portland, everyone's a winner in the situation. And SisterSpirit, my women's group, made a little money in the bargain.

I admit to having a bit of regret that fey was left out of my genes, but there it is. You just have to play the hand you were dealt.

Best wishes,

Red Emma.

Thanks for those words, Red Emma. I am also a Queen of Swords and get on fine with my tarot cards, my pagan oracles, my runes and my pendulum, but I just don't see how I could connect with this deck.

Like Dwaas, I've looked at the scans - very lovely - and read the rave reviews from other ATers with the oracle. Still, the familiar intake of breath that's present when I know I am looking at a deck that will speak to me just isn't there.

I think not every form of divination can be everyone's cup of tea, and further, that there are some types of cards that just don't resonate with all people.

selkie

I have the music CD, Faeries: Companion to Art of Brian Froud. Perhaps I should listen to it when using his cards?

Jewel

sharpchick said:
I think not every form of divination can be everyone's cup of tea, and further, that there are some types of cards that just don't resonate with all people.

That is a very true statement and I completly agree. And I am one of the people that has really connected to the deck, but I would not try to force it on anyone.