Tarot Spreads: The Celtic Cross #1--First 2 cards.

Thirteen

So in the Your Readings Tarot section, I went on a little diatribe about the CC. I don't mind the spread, but three things that bother me:

1) As it's one of the few spreads in the booklets that come with decks, it's the one beginners learn or try to learn. Yet it is clearly NOT a spread for beginners.

2) As it's in that booklet, it's the most well known spread, so much so that people use it simply because, well, everyone does, not because it may be best for the reading or for them for that matter.

3) It often has some obscure premeutations--terms like "this crosses you" or "This is above/below you"--it may have two "outcome" cards as well as a "near future" card--and no indication of "outcome" for what? The whole spread? Part of the spread? Etc.

Okay. So having just summarized my beefs with this spread, I think we should delve into it. I know that some of you are studying together a chapter in a book on it--but let's go in to it period. Let's talk Celtic Cross.

Let's start at the beginning. What do those first two cards stand for? What various things CAN they stand for?

If the 1st card is "the querent"--is it one picked out of the deck to stand for them, or one that indicates that this is how they are at the moment?

The 2nd card: This "crosses" you is the usual phrase. What does that mean?

And let's clarify this: Are the cross and "staff" to be read together, or seperately? Cross as one group of meaning, and staff as a "clarifying" group of other meanings? Or should they be viewed as acting upon each other--cards from one relating to the other?

Thirteen

Just to add, this is the oldest, most traditional version of the cross I found in my books (all cards--so we can have an overview of them for all three CC threads):

"This covers him" (#1--which may mean atmosphere surrounding the person)
"This crosses him" (#2--may be opposing forces)
"This is below him," (#3--basis)
"this is behind him" (#4--past influence) "This Crowns him," (#5--future)
"This is before him," (#6--near future), "This is what he fears," (#7)
"This is his family's opinion," (#8)
"This is what he hopes," (#9)
"This is the outcome," (#10)

fairyhedgehog

Hi Thirteen,

I'm just a beginner but my take on it is this.

The first card tells me about me and/or my situation. I don't pick a card to represent me, it is simply the first card off the top of the deck after I've cut the cards. The second card is a different aspect of the situation which helps, hinders or clarifies.

I only read for myself (still) at the moment and I kind of get a feel for what it means. Eg, if I get Queen of Cups crossed by Queen of Wands, it could mean that my more intuitive side is being hindered by my get up and go. Or that my creative energy is supporting my emotions and intuition. I just kind of know which one makes sense to me :)

As for the cross and the staff, I'm just learning to put these together. Up till now, I've mainly read it as a story in the order of the cards: this is my situation, the roots of it, the waning influences, new influences, possible immediate future, then I will be like this inside, outside will be this, I'll hope or fear, and the outcome. But Joan Bunnings course is helping me to look at eg cards 6 and 10 as possible alternative futures.

Who is it whose sig says 'I'm just making this up as I go along'? That is what it feels like, I use whatever meanings make sense.

Sorry for rambling,

All the best,

FH

Thirteen

Not rambling at all Fairy, I think you're insights are great, especially on the first two cards. That example you gave was straight on. In fact, though you may say you're still a beginner, I think you're ready to read for others--if that's what you'd like to do. Good stuff there.

Martin

Hello!

I must admit the Celtic Cross is the reading I use the most, and it's not a spread I've ever had that much difficulty with (although I did work up to it!).

The first card I see as the situation (the substance of the inquiry & atmosphere), and the card crossing it as an opposing card. I then read the rest of the cross as a wheel of events, from the distant past & roots (the card to the right of the middle 2) to that just passing (that which is below), to the near future (the card on the left of the middle 2) and then the card above I read as the goal of the individual (their conscious plans). Obviously, there is a link between the situation & the time span, and the "distance" between the current situation & the goal (the object for most people making the two the same!). Often I find issues of karma between the past & future cards.

The staff I see as a supporting structure, they are the influences that are guiding us through the time frame, both helping us & hindering us.

The first card of the staff I relate to the persons state of mind, they as they are & how they see the situation. This card obviously links with their goals, as you can easily see whether they are up to their goals & whether they really want that outcome or whether it's just a passing fancy. It also links with the personality with the situations described in the cross section, thus helping to elucidate the effect of their outlook on the situation.

The next card I see as the surroundings of the person, and the environments effect on the situation, as well as how other people see the person asking the question (which is linked to the card below-them as they are).

The next card up in the staff I look upon as their hopes & fears, and this can again be linked to the goal card as it will show you how thier more gut instincts relate to their planned outcomes (so maybe a card denoting a fear of doing the one thing that is planned in the goal card).

The last card I see as the outcome of the situation (with all things remaining on the same course), this card obviously has links with the desired goal (do they match), the card showing them as them as they are (the effect it may have on the personality) & their hopes & fears (is the outcome what they hoped for or are secretly scared of?).

I hope this is of some help, and if I've not come across clearly please ask for clarification of my views!

Martin

Thirteen

Martin, I like your interpetatons very much. And it's nice to see the way the 4 "cross" cards can connect.

I'm most curious about the "crown" card. How did you get that interpetation--of it being a goal? It makes sense, being opposite the "root."

Question also, as the "below" is card #6, why start with "Behind" then go to "below" in a counter-clockwise read. Why not start with "Below" and move clockwise up to "behind, crown and before"--as it seem was the intent?

Martin

I'm glad my interpretations were of use, the crown card as a goal/desired outcome came from the book Tarot by Jane Lyle, although it is only briefly mentioned, it made sense & working with it this is the meaning I ascribed to the position.

Now, as for the laying out, I depart drastically with the traditional method. I lay out from root to goal in a clockwise fashion, so card 3 is root, 4 is present, 5 is near future & 6 is goal. Obviously one could also lay out from left to right & then below to above, but that is a personal decision. I simply like the layout, and as one is free to make up ones own layouts & as there are already so many different ways of using the Celtic Cross anyway, I have simply added another!

To me it makes sense that as its a kind of "wheel of time" there is nothing wrong with laying out in that fashion, and I never do all the "this is what crowns him" etc anyway!

Hope this clarifies my intent?

Martin

fairyhedgehog

Thirteen (01 Feb, 2002 04:05):
Not rambling at all Fairy, I think you're insights are great, especially on the first two cards. That example you gave was straight on. In fact, though you may say you're still a beginner, I think you're ready to read for others--if that's what you'd like to do. Good stuff there.

Thank you for your encouragement Thirteen :) I've got an old friend coming over to see me after half term and I'm hoping she'll let me practice on her.

All the best,

FH

Kaz

About the first two cards, after studying the Tarot for Yourself chapters on the CC, I feel very comfortable with these two cards describing the situation the querant is in. These cards can back each other up, or oppose each other. They tell what the reading is about.
Having said that, I must admit I don't use the CC spread very much until now. Don't ask me why, it just doesn't appeal very much. I might change my mind after all these posts, just maybe......

Kaz

Scorpion

Hi, All!

Like quite a few people, I used to think the CC was "the" spread to use. However, I found I was struggling and every book gave a different meaning for different positions. So I realised nothing was written in stone and I thought "if they can do it, so can I" and I took what made sense to me and emerged with something I can understand. It is the layout I use most.

Being awkward, I have 3 cards for my base (and 13 in tortal)! No significator. The first card is the nature of the question, the second is why is it important (produces some very interesting answers!) and the third is what is helping/hindering the situation. This gives me enough information to base the rest on.

As for the two parts, I like to read them as one - it makes sense to me, particularly is the querent is asking a specific question. I also go through at the end and look at the balance of suits and Majors.