Cosmic Tribe - Fool

faunabay

Here you go Kayne. I'm with you. LOL ;D

OK all - what do you think about the differences and the similarities of the Cosmic Tribe Fool vs. the rider waite?

I love having the crocodile down there nipping at his heels. And the flower of enlightenment coming out of his (croc's) mouth is a great symbol of working through adversity and accomplishing wonderful things that wouldn't have happened unless you took that chance (leaping off that cliff).

I've just got to say also that I LOVE the writing style of Eric Ganther. It's flat out fun to read and at the same time puts out many new things to think about for each card. I really like the way he adds so many questions on the meanings for the card - gets you to think instead of memorizing.

So what's everyone else's opinions/thoughts on the Cosmic Tribe Fool card??????

Scorpion

Hi, Faunabay/Kayne (and anyone else who’s joining in)!

You will see from my other post that I’m not an RW fan, but I do love Cosmic Tribe, so the first thing I would say is that the CT definitely has my vote in terms of artwork.

As for differences, to me the RW Fool is too static: he hasn’t jumped off the cliff and there’s no guarantee that he’s going to. He looks more as if he’s come to the edge of the cliff and has stopped to take stock of the scenrry, as opposed to the CT Fool, who’s taken a running leap into the unknown – there’s a lot more faith in this depiction: he’s also much happier looking! The RW Fool looks doubtful – the CT Fool has wings and isn’t afraid to use them: a much more happy-go-lucky feel to it. Even the dog’s sprouted wings and is going with him rather than trying to keep him back. The idea that he's just chased a butterfuly over the edge without pausing to think about it just perfectly sums up the Fool for me.

I think the sky in the CT is much better than that of the RW – I love the mandala/cosmic source above his head and the swirling clouds, giving the impression of a stiff sea breeze – to me, it gives much more of a feel of everything being open to change – the “expanded possibility” of the text: the clouds go all the way into the distance until they meet the sea on the horizon. By contrast, the RW sky is an almost unrelenting bright yellow (anybody ever seen a sky that colour? – all I cam think about is being in the middle of the desert! I believe it’s meant to signify the intellect). He doesn’t have a hand free – holding all his possessions in one and a flower in the other (compare this with the CT Fool – taking his leap with nothing but his faith). I particularly like the Hopi labryinth of life that he’s starting out on.

All in all, I think the CT Fool perfectly depicts the freedom of expression of the Fool, while the RW version is rather stilted and posed.

faunabay

So everyone realizes I just called upon the Rider Waite because that's what I'm familiar with. That doesn't mean you can't compare it to the Thoth deck or any others. Actually from what I understand the Cosmic Tribe is based more on the thoth than rider waite. So go in any direction you want. I'm most definitely NOT in charge (don't want to be LOL). I just wanted to get the study group going. I'm excited to see what everyone thinks about this deck. ;D

kayne

Thanks Faunabay for making a start! :)

Hello to anyone and everyone who wants to join in - just jump in any time, your comments are always welcome!

http://www.stevee.com/images/t.mjr.00.jpg

I love this card, The Fool really does look so happy. He has a really care-free (almost dopey) expression and you can see in his face that he is full of the exuberance that the life-green butterfly he's following represents.

The Fool's skin is quite white and clear - uneffected by too much sun or lifes pressures... again supporting the 'newness' he represents.

The ocean is calm and blue and looks welcoming. It is not crashing against the rock but gentley meets it. The ocean is a very apt image as you never know what is below the surface - but what does The Fool care?

BTW I love his tattoo and have been considering getting one similar...

:cool: K

MeeWah

Great thoughts on this, All!
I like The Fool's "joie de vivre". It expresses my view of how life can be lived--in the joy of the moment. Too often, one loses the spontaneity of the present on preoccupation with yesterday (the past) or tomorrow (the future).
The Fool has represented an idea taking wing/getting off the ground. The wings' dark pattern against the light color (or vice versa) suggest a union of opposites, of opposing energies coming together.
The crocodile has represented the baser nature or emotions that trip one. They are tamed, even transformed by knowledge or enlightenment, the flower. Sort of like the sustenance (food) that tames the savage beast.

jmd

An early deck which has the Crocodile is the Wirth deck (which was used when Waite and Crowley designed their decks).

Unfortunately, Aeclectic does not have the deck listed, though the Radical Wirth is based very closely on the Wirth.

Jewel

I have found Mary Greer's approach (Tarot for Yourself, pg. 32 I think) to learning a card very helpful, so during our work with the Cosmic Tribe (CT) I will be using this format. I first do this exercise prior to looking at the book to see what my first impressions are.

WHAT DO YOU SEE? I see a happy go lucky young man marveling in the beauty he sees and the sensations he feels. He has sprouted wings and gives the impression of a butterfly right out of the cocoon. The dog tagging along behind looks a bit cautious but ready go anywhere the innocent fool goes ... his protector. I see the clouds and gusts of wind (a combination of these even forming a flower shaped mandala above our hero's head), in the beautiful blue sky. The ocean beneath the fool is calm. A rock represents the earth, and engraved upon it is a labyrinth map. On the left hand bottom corner of the card there is a crocadile with hand holding a flower coming out of its mouth. There is all sorts of radiance surrounding the beautiful pink flower.

WHAT COLORS DO YOU SEE? Blue, white, black, borwn, green, pink, yellow/gold, purple, red, and flesh color.

WHAT HUMAN FIGURES OR ANIMALS DO YOU SEE? A young man (with a pair of butterfly wings on his back), a dog, 2 butterflies, a crocodile.

WHAT SYMBOLS ARE THERE? The butterfly wings, antenae, etc. on the Fool to me symbolize his coming out of the cocoon he was in. A freedom and joy in life. Counting the Fool himself there are 3 butterflies, to me these butterflies are about transition and new life. The yellow one, on the dog, represents the analytical way in which as humans we live. The Fool himself is the transformation from that mind set to a more open, balanced and pure one (white wings with black designs). He jumps towards the thrid butterfly which is a vivid green and purple, to me this represents a bonding with earth and spirit. The crocodile is the cost of risks taken, the flower emerging from its mouth with splendor the ultimate reward of a risk well taken. The dog is the protector of the Fool. The clouds and gusts of wind are the turbulence the Fool will experience during his wonderous journey, the flower mandala of clouds above his head and connecting to his crown chakra is potentiail ... if you can dream it you can make it real. The calm water is the emotional stability of the Fool as he marvels at his own existence. The rock, the grounding point. The labyrinth map showing that time and again we walk this labyrinth. Thus there is a Fool in each of us, all we need to do is show him the way out of the labyrinth and watch him emerge.

DESCRIBE THE CARD IN TERMS OF AN EMOTION. HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT? Exhuberant! The card has an airy, free, happy feel to it. Makes me just want to go run and play!

I love this card. To me it is the child within with all of the dreams and the feeling of invincibility and adventure. It is the part of me that sees the magic of the world and the beauty within it and within myself.

Love & Light,

Landon

Thoughts on the Fool

I’m learning this deck and looking at a card each day.

This is easily my least favorite card in the deck. This Fool looks to me like the imagining of a sentimental adolescent: the butterfly wings, the open arms, the beatific smile. I miss the lust of the Thoth fool and the elegance of the Rider conception. The image of the Fool carrying something rings truer for me than this completely unburdened newborn. This fool does not need to undertake any journey- his wings save him from peril and his unalloyed joy suggests no need for further development. The universe welcomes him with a combination of eagerness and gentleness that I find rather cloying. Even the colors here put me off, running much more into pastels than most of the deck. The card is precious cute. I hate precious cute.

So- letting go of what I would like it to be and looking at what it is- the card suggests to me the Buddhist concept that we are all complete as we are. Progress is neither desirable nor possible. This fool captures the idea of being completely joyful with what you are, even if you have butterfly wings. The crocodile holding the radiant flower is an interesting image- does it mean that peril holds potential flowering? Youthfulness, joy, and an utter lack of shame are the primary ideas I get from the card.

In the accompanying text, Ganther talks about the contrast between the innocence of the Fool and the cynicism which would like to destroy it. I am cynical and I do not genuinely delight in myself. Growing to love the conception of the fool would not be a bad idea. Like Faunaboy, I enjoy Ganther’s style.

I very much enjoyed reading the other ideas on the card here, particularly MeeWah’s emphasis on the present moment and the wings showings a union of opposites.

Jewel

Re: Thoughts on the Fool

Landon said:
the card suggests to me the Buddhist concept that we are all complete as we are. Progress is neither desirable nor possible. This fool captures the idea of being completely joyful with what you are, even if you have butterfly wings. The crocodile holding the radiant flower is an interesting image- does it mean that peril holds potential flowering? Youthfulness, joy, and an utter lack of shame are the primary ideas I get from the card.

I can see where you are coming from here. To me the joyfullness and butterfly wings on the fool merely reflect his innocence, love of life, and his connection to the element of air. With a good attitude and keen intellect he will have a rewarding journey.

Does peril hold potential flowering? I would say yes to that. It is the lessons learned that make us stronger. Those things that appear awful at the time, yet in restropect we see what we have gained.

I see the fool as complete, yes, but not totally developed. He posseses the attitude and intellect to successfully complete his journey ... it is up to him in the end to see how he will use them.

DarkElectric

I see this fool as the quintessential representative of youthful energy. Everybody's a fool when we're young, some of us more than others (Egad! An admission! blush!) I love this deck because I can relate to it in a very personal way. He seems as if he's jumping off the diving board of life, and he doesn't think about the croc, or what happens if, in his youth and inexperience, his wings don't work? He just TRUSTS that everything will be alright, and leaps out anyway. Every kid I know does the same thing (including me!).