Does anyone recognize this stone?

BodhiSeed

Quantum Quattro Silica
This rare stone first arrived on the gemstone market around September 1996 (it's trademarked). It is comprised of a unique combination of royal blue shattuckite, robins egg blue chrysacolla, forest green dioptase, in smokey quartz with pastel light green malachite swirling together in a vibrant mix of colors rarely seen together

Bhavana

Bhavana ~ this is turquoise, tho, wouldn't you say?

yes, it is, but this is not the only way turquoise looks. I have about 30 rings alone with this stone - and there are many differences, both in color and in shape, finish, texture, etc. They range from pale pale blue to bright vivid green blue to dull muted green to deep dark green, even blackish. Some are smooth, some are polished, some are rough, some are rugged, some are shot thru with quartz, mica, some are flakey and mottled looking like the OP's stone - I even have one that looks like it has flakes of gold in it. Just depends on the mine it comes from.

ETA - here is a turquoise ring with a stone similar to yours, the stone has less quartz in it than yours - and the surface of your stone is less smooth, probably due to the mix of minerals - but the coloring and translucent areas are evident.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/8444850...er=date_desc&ga_page=6&ga_search_type=vintage

Sirrah

My first thought was chrysoprase. Its beautiful though!

photokat

Yeah I am super confused!

The ring I have is Navajo, so Turquoise is the closest guess, even though it looks different. I have seen turquoise in the craziest shades, but the pink mineral in it makes no sense : (

DownwardSpiral

quanturm quattro

I have a piece of quantrum quattro and it looks like a greenish/blue speckled jelly bean : )

Bhavana

Yeah I am super confused!

The ring I have is Navajo, so Turquoise is the closest guess, even though it looks different. I have seen turquoise in the craziest shades, but the pink mineral in it makes no sense : (

I also think your ring is from well before 1996 - and someone above mentioned that around '96 is when this quantum quatro came on the market. As I have said, though, i am no expert - and natives have used all types of stones in their work. Don't you know of any jewelers who deal with this type of jewelry? I am sure if you took it to someone, they'd be able to tell you what it is - or at least make an educated guess.

photokat

It's a vintage Navajo ring from the 50's ... which is why I am so confused!

I suspect it's a rare kind of turquoise .... I have seen turquoise in all sorts of colors but not this one!