Essential oils?

InionAradia

What are your favourite essential oils, how do you use them, and what for?
Personally, I love rosemary, for concentration and confidence. It's a favourite exam-time oil, since if I lose confidence in anything I'm working on, I tend to avoid it completely, so it really helps, then. Peppermint, for energy and concentration- really good for the night before that big essay's due. I love anything citrus-y in general, to be honest, and anything minty, and tea tree. Oh, and chamomile, ginger, cinnamon... I use them in baths sometimes, but mostly as a room freshener with the purpose of affecting my moods. Lately, I've found myself needing energy boosts (probably the summer heat is making me sleepy), so I've been prioritising oils like peppermint.

FruitLoop

My favourites tend to vary depending on my mood, but I do tend to cycle through a few favourites for the most part. I keep a wide range of oils that are for massage and oil burner purposes, so I'm not limited for choice if my regulars aren't quite ticking the box :)

Ylang Ylang - Relaxing, heady, helps with anxiety
Orange - fresh, soothing
Mandarin - Soothing
Lemon - Uplifting, astringent
Grapefruit - Helps me with headaches
Lavender - Relaxing, good for sleep
Peppermint - Fresh, warming, clears my head
Black Pepper - Good for muscle aches
Rosemary - Warming, soothing, pampering
Clary Sage - I just love this oil :)
Frankincense - Feels nice on the skin
Neroli - Uplifting

I adore fennel and aniseed, but can't use them on myself so I tend to use them in a burner. I also love Rose oil, unfortunately it's far too expensive to buy regularly :)

RichardofGlouster

A splendid thread InionAradia! I am so glad that you posted it.

I have had a madness for rose essential oil since I was a kid. I am worse than the Tyrells from Game of Thrones when it comes to roses everywhere. Rose oil has been effective for me in subduing feelings of depression, and is very sensuous.

I am almost as obsessed with lemon oil. I find it makes me feel very positive and focused, not at all nervous. I don't know why I am so found of the smell, but I am. I find it is rather good on the skin, softening and toning. And is unsurpassed at removing smells and disinfecting, I like to put a little on my hands when I am cooking to deeply cleanse myself of strong scents from food I prepare, garlic, onions etc. Both rose and lemon oil go into my bath and it really helps my complexion.

I think the smell of clovebud oil is wonderful. new recently scents I like are Jasmine (Poet's Jasmine) essential oil and angelica.

Peppermint oil is another one I find interesting. I currently buy the Japanese version. It gives a unique and very pleasant cooling sensation when a modest amount is applied to the surface of the skin, like your temples are being massaged with an ice cube. It can feel very relaxing before you go to bed, its great for relieving pain anywhere in the body or not even pain, just tenseness, it can help you unwind like a bath of salts would. I stopped using it before I went to bed because I find it was so cleansing that it made me have more vivid dreams, since I was struggling with nightmares at the time I didn't want that, but I've gone back to using it during the daytime and it brings a very relaxing, intimate feeling. Its also good for menstrual woes. Again, a magical pain reliever and antiseptic, I gave a drop to my mother who was suffering from a tooth ache and she said the pain disappeared as soon as she applied it.

I believe that top and middle notes are the oils for me. Though rose has been classified as a base note by many, the Bulgarian version I currently by is said to be middle.

Now what I would really love is some gardenia essential oil, that is a scent in nature that drives me wild. I know places that make fine fragrance oils from it, but I need an essential oil to get its fabled health benefits. Unfortunately the price of gardenia essential oil is astronomical.Most stores look like they don't bother to sell it. If anyone knows of a Gardenia oil that is not several hundred dollars for half of an ounce then you would really be helping a lady out. :)

Perhaps gardenia essential oil blends are available somewhere?

-Gloucester

WolfyJames

I'm allergic to perfumes so I use essential oils instead. My mother found some small balls on the internet for essential oils. I keep those balls in small bowls around the apartment.

I use lavender oil for the bedroom because I love it and it's a calming scent. My favorite essential oil is rosewood, I really love it and use it all year long, but that one tends to be expensive. I also like to use pine essential oil in winter. I use eucalyptus essential oil when I have a cold or the flu.

Labhraín

Very interesting thread

I use Peppermint Oil for migraine headaches. It is FANTASTIC! I carry it with me in my purse.

What oils do you use or would recommend for depression and anxiety. Rose oil was mentioned - any others?

- Labhraín

avalonian

I'm never without Lavender as it has so many uses, High Alpine Lavender is a particular favourite. I love Rose and Jasmine just for the smell alone. I always have Ravensara on hand for when the sniffles start, it's very much like Eucalyptus, but sort of more refined, and it seems to ward off colds and flu before they get a grip. I was told that it has anti-viral qualities.

For uplifting, I love May Chang, heavenly.

I didn't know you could use Peppermint oil on the skin, might have to try that.

:) :) :)

Labhraín

I shall check out these suggestions too....

I'm never without Lavender as it has so many uses, High Alpine Lavender is a particular favourite. I love Rose and Jasmine just for the smell alone. I always have Ravensara on hand for when the sniffles start, it's very much like Eucalyptus, but sort of more refined, and it seems to ward off colds and flu before they get a grip. I was told that it has anti-viral qualities.

For uplifting, I love May Chang, heavenly.

I didn't know you could use Peppermint oil on the skin, might have to try that.

:) :) :)

I have read that some oils need to be diluted before applying to the skin as they may cause sensitivity or irritation. However, I also read here on Aeclectic that one user just dabs it on their skin so I tried that and had great success with treating and warding off headaches. I haven't had any problems with applying peppermint oil directly to my skin but I will investigate further to see which oils need to be diluted.

Today, I picked up Sweet Orange (uplifting), Clary Sage (balancing) and a roll on Lavendar (calming, soothing for body and mind) that also contains jojoba oil and coconut triglycerides. I am testing out the Sweet Orange now and it definitely is uplifting.

greatdane

I wear them, I also mix them in water in a spray bottle and spritz around to freshen, and I add to baking soda and mix well and sprinkle around carpeting and stomp in before vacuuming. Also can help keep all kinds of bugs away, spiders don't seem to care for peppermint. I cheat and get some premixed, like Vet's Best Flea and Tick spray that have essential oils pre mixed and fleas and ticks don't like it and I can use it on just about everything.

Peppermint because it's so fresh and wakes me up.
Lemongrass because I love the lemony smell.
Rosemary because of smell and I also put sprigs of it in my tarot tote bag.
Lavender because it's soothing.

For the Fall/Winter it's fun to mix ones like cinnamon/clove oils, smells festive! There's also frankincense or pine. So many that bring the winter season to mind.

Darkmage

I *adore* sandalwood. It's been my very favourite since I was a kid. I can't wear the undiluted stuff, though, as it makes me break out in a photosensitive rash. And I'm literally allergic to sunlight anyway. :( BUT: Spiritual Sky's version is cut with something, probably mineral oil, and doesn't bother me.

Vetivert oil is also a fave, as is patchouli, cinnamon, and lemongrass. I like to use mint and eucalyptus in my diffusers when my allergies flare as it really helps, though I have to watch it around the cats as menthol is an irritant.

As for mixed oils, I like the Eye of the Cat ones as well as ones by Midnight Starr. Starr's Money Draw is like a blend of cedar, cinnamon, and a couple other things I'm not sure about, but it makes the house smell WONDERFUL. His Sun and Van Van are also delightful blends.

WolfyJames

For the Fall/Winter it's fun to mix ones like cinnamon/clove oils, smells festive! There's also frankincense or pine. So many that bring the winter season to mind.

I should check cinnamon and clove oils, must be a great scent!

Got to admit spices cake is among my favorite desserts.