Collaborative Spread Creation #8 - The Hunger Games

rwcarter

Amanda_04 posted the following:
I'd love it if someone would make a spread inspired by this book (the movie is about to come out at the end of the month).

Here is the synopsis: Winning means fame and fortune. Losing means certain death. The Hunger Games have begun...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

----------

I'm particularly interested in the "..choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.." bit.

And KMilliron posted this follow-up question:
Would you like it by plot, characters, themes, quotes? You know this is something I'd love to do :D

I'm not familiar with the book, and while I've seen a commercial preview for the movie, I still don't know enough about the story to even know where to start. (But KMilliron asked some good first questions.)

Rodney

KMilliron

I'm very familiar with the books :D I'm game to work on this, should I get some more specs.

Glass Owl

I haven't read the series (the library never has it) but now that the movie is coming out, I'm probably going to watch the movie at some point and then read the books.

Do you think it would to be possible to create an intriguing spread about the series without giving too much of it away or spoiling the end?

Amanda

KM.. I honestly dont know what I want..lol.. Something by plot maybe.. Though there are a handful of quotes I love.. Like the one about things being far easier to destroy than create.. I dont have the books on hand and I'm at work at the moment.. Something by character might be good too though without givibg too much away.. Idk, what do you think? :)

And sorry for the typing.. Doesnt come out too well on my phone..lol

KMilliron

I haven't read the series (the library never has it) but now that the movie is coming out, I'm probably going to watch the movie at some point and then read the books.

Do you think it would to be possible to create an intriguing spread about the series without giving too much of it away or spoiling the end?

Theme would work. In this instance characters would give too much a way (one of the character's loyalties are purposely ambigious in the first book, so doing a character based spread would mean giving away too much)

We can do quotes, depending on where the quotes are.

In this instance I would say themes are a better choice.

Amanda

Rodney, the book is definitely movie~worthy.. I'm hoping the movie doesn't ruin it for me actually..lol.. But I don't thibk it will from what I've seen.. I'm getting ready to read it for a 3rd time in two weeks..not only because I ha e plenty of time on my hands at work, but also because I simply can't get enough of it as I anxiously await the movie.. :D

rwcarter

Sounds like a lot of spreads could be developed from the book/movie. Since I don't know much about it, this spread comes to mind based on what Amanda_04 originally wrote:

1. Current situation ("In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts.")
2. How the Querent got there.
3. A choice the Querent will be forced to make ("The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.")
4. A sacrifice the Querent will choose to make ("Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games.")
5. An ethical consideration with which the Querent will be faced ("But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.")
6. Outcome ("Here is the synopsis: Winning means fame and fortune. Losing means certain death. The Hunger Games have begun...")

Not sure how I'd lay the cards out though.

Amanda_04 said:
Rodney, the book is definitely movie~worthy.. I'm hoping the movie doesn't ruin it for me actually..lol.
The two movies that I can think of that were nowhere near as good as the book were The World According to Garp (pretty good movie but nowhere near the book) and Battlefield Earth (which sucked as a movie). BE is the only book I've ever read 3 times, and at 1066 pages, that says a lot. (And, no, I've not read anything else by Mr. Hubbard. ;))

Rodney

KMilliron

The Capitol (the over-ruling force, or problem)
District 9 (the rebellion, or action taken towards the problem)
The Games (the consequence of failed rebellion, or what would happen should you fail)

The Victor (the outcome)

That's just a quick sketch of a possible spread. I can tweak it when I have the books in front of me...

Amanda

Rodney, that's good! And you're right, I think this is a story that could have a ton of different spreads. :)

KM - I like yours too... what do you think about the berries? Maybe something about something "small" igniting the overthrow of the problem?

KMilliron

Rodney, that's good! And you're right, I think this is a story that could have a ton of different spreads. :)

KM - I like yours too... what do you think about the berries? Maybe something about something "small" igniting the overthrow of the problem?

I wanted to, but that's a borderline spoiler XD I'm very careful about my spoilers.