The art of making a cheat sheet

Lee

What's the best way to learn card meanings? With tarot, many people like to memorize keywords at least as a way to get started, and many people don't bother with keywords at all.

With Lenormand, unless you're a completely free-form reader, the reading process is much more dependent on having set meanings (whatever ones you choose to use). Thus, it would seem that more readers would set about memorizing keywords for Lenormand than for tarot.

I've made up many cheat sheets over the years for both tarot and Lenormand. Often I'll then attempt to memorize those keywords. Usually as soon as I successfully memorize them, I'll lose interest and go on to something else. I think I've memorized Joan Bunning's tarot keywords about three different times!

When I first got Rana George's "Essential Lenormand," I immediately set about creating a cheat sheet. She already has one in the back of the book, but I like to go through a book myself and compile my own, as I can focus on the keywords that resonate more for me and ignore those involving subjects that don't interest me as much (for example, describing people's physical characteristics, or medical questions). Also when authors include a list of short meanings at the back of their books, they tend to be less complete than I would be.

But several months ago, when I decided to commit myself to using Rana's book as my Lenormand bible, I found my single-page cheat sheet inadequate. So I went through the entire book's card chapters with an orange highlighter, and highlighted any keywords that seemed significant.

Rana's card chapters have meanings organized by type of question. So there are work meanings, relationship meanings, health meanings, etc. This approach can certainly be helpful in some situations, but I found that I really missed having keywords organized by concept. So when I finished all my highlighting, I sat down at my computer with the book and started typing up a document, listing the major concepts for each card, then listing Rana's keywords within each topic.

Here's an example for one card:

[FONT=Segoe UI, Tahoma, Verdana, Sans-Serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]08 The Coffin[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]: [/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Endings[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]: painful change, end of bad circumstance, dead relationship, person leaves, separation. [/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Loss[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]: defeat, financial loss, losing/leaving job, breach of contract.[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Depression[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]: discouragement, stagnation. [/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Lying down[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]: rest, staying in bed. Boxes, drawers, underground, basements, closets, the bed.[/FONT] [/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI, Tahoma, Verdana, Sans-Serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]In practice: Can be end of a hardship if positive card follows.[/FONT] [/FONT]
As you can see, I also added an "In practice" section at the end for any specific notes that Rana gave for how the cards operate in a reading. Not all the cards have such notes, but I wanted to include them for the ones that did.

My cheat "sheet" took me six weeks to complete, and ended up being five and a half pages! If I had used a smaller font I probably could have shaved a page off of that, but it's still pretty big compared to the single-page cheat sheet I was using before.

The advantage of having this is that I can keep the sheets handy as I'm reading, without having to go through the cumbersome process of looking up card meanings in the book. And because I was pretty thorough in my keyword-gathering process, I don't have to feel as if I'm missing some important detail.

Another advantage to going through this process is that it forced me to really pay attention to the text while I was doing my highlighting in a way that I probably wouldn't have when just reading the book in a more normal way. I undoubtedly helped the internalization process along by going through the exercise of gathering, choosing, compiling, and typing.

So for anyone who wants to undergo an in-depth learning process for their Lenormand meanings, I definitely recommend going through this kind of exercise. Having more detailed and varied meanings for the cards will help prevent what I went through for a while with my Lenormand reading, which was a dreary, cliched litany of accidents with sharp objects and jealous female rivals. :p

Chanah

I usually tell people to grab a deck of playing cards and a sharpie. Discard the 2s thru 5s. Write the name of the Lenormand card on the corresponding playing card, as well as any important keywords. Then read with that deck for a while.

Not as in-depth as a six page (!?) cheat-sheet (I think you're way beyond crib notes here!), but it gets the job done.

Lee

Not as in-depth as a six page (!?) cheat-sheet (I think you're way beyond crib notes here!), but it gets the job done.
Hi Chana,

My post was directed towards those of us who, like myself, find their readings to be limited due to using too limited a palette, so to speak, of keywords. It seems to me that for those of us who seek to broaden the depth and scope of our readings, creating a more intensive cheat sheet could help accomplish that, and the creative exercise of choosing the keywords surely can't hurt either. Do you disagree? If so, please feel free to elaborate, I'm interested to hear more about your viewpoint.

Tigerangel

Thanks Lee, I'm just starting out with learning using the lenormand system and I think making up a cheat sheet like that would help me alot to read for different areas.

Barleywine

I took a slightly different approach. Before I had any Lenormand books, I searched the internet for Lenormand blogs and found a few good ones with keyword listings. The lists I found to be best for my puposes I captured in a tabbed notebook that I can quickly and easily access without having to wade through pages of "book" narrative to find what I want. The way I did it, there are numerous commonalities among the lists, and a few interesting departures that are good food for thought. I now have many of the available books but haven't felt the need yet to dismantle them into a cheat-sheet. I tend to keep my keyword population short and sharply focused on the more traditional meanings, from which I can then extrapolate on a contextual basis.

Sharla

I've done something like this myself using a nice book I purchased, so I've used 1 page for each card using both sides of the page 1 side will have a few meanings that I can relate to with each card and the opposite side of the page will have personality, description, timing etc for that card.

Then if I come across any new meanings in any readings I do then I will add them to my book, I then just like Lee would like to eventually have all meanings for each card memorized so I have a wider vocabulary when Interpreting the cards instead of as Lee also mentions just seeing Snake as a female rival or mice just as a loss etc.

And up to now my little book I have put together is helping me considerably and is my own made Lenormand bible.

kalliope

I have done (or at least gotten partially through) something similar for my geomancy and Hedgewytchery studies, and a few other topics. I agree that it's a great way to learn! Half of the value is in the making of it, as you say. Just the fact that you're scouring the text and making decisions about what to include means that you're processing and interacting with the material enough to get it really sticking in your mind. I also like your way of collecting the examples of each bold keyword concept (i.e. all the ways that Loss could show up, etc.) I may steal that. ;)

I don't consider it so much a cheat-sheet as a personal notebook summary, so I don't care at all if it becomes too long to be a quickie cheat-sheet list. I also think it serves a different purpose than the keywords-on-cards approach that Chanah mentioned, which can also be very helpful. The notebook is more about learning to see the cards and keywords in action as real-life examples than simply memorizing keywords, which I personally don't have trouble with. It's also much more convenient and pleasant to have something concise, well-organized (according to your own brain anyway), and yet thorough to refer to instead of an entire book.

IHeartRescues

Having more detailed and varied meanings for the cards will help prevent what I went through for a while with my Lenormand readings, which were ALSO a dreary, cliched litany of accidents with sharp objects and jealous female rivals, and the Fox at the start--WRONG fm the start?? lol.

Interesting to see your post here today, as i just found another one of yours and just left a comment. I really find the method of slowly going through a book really gives one the full flavor, so I also have Rana's and Andy's and Claire's. Everyone has some personal insights, which when compared carefully with the traditional, may well lead to an effective vocab. when applied w/ the holy grail of consistency. Beginner's nerves....