Etruscan Tarot

Freddie

Etruscan/Etrusca Tarot

Greetings all,

Does anyone here have any opinions on this deck? It ilooks alot like an Egyptian styled deck in appearance. It looks very masculine, but calming at the same time. Is 'The Magician' of this deck female???? anyone know???? Just curious as this deck oozes mystery. After years of looking at scans online, I ordered it. Maybe the colours are masculine and that is why it appeals to me, I don't know...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/etruscan/

The scans show some really GREAT cards not included on the page here. I love the terracotta (?) orange/red colours used in this deck, good for all deck uage purposes me thinks.

The cover of the box is 'The High Priest'

http://www.amazon.com/Etruscan-Taro...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279827254&sr=8-1

Freddie

Hemera

This is a really lovely deck, one of LoS´s best. I also particularly love the colors.
I don´t find this deck very masculine. There are lots of flowers and garlands and flowing dresses. I think this is a well balanced deck. There are more men than women,yes, but the men are mostly not of the warrior type.

I had to go and check the Magician and yes, he does look very feminine with the long pink dress, but the LWB says it´s a young man who is dancing!

Le Fanu

I love this deck. It is the forgotten jewel of tarot decks. Those backs! That terracotta-ness! The flakiness! I absolutely love this deck and it is one of those decks I come back to again and again - weird Freddie that you should mention it - at this time of year.

Such a summery deck. For reading out on the dappled terrace beneath vines drinking chilled white wine. Some beautiful images in this deck which read beautifully. The diving naked athlete in the 8 of wands, the warrier playing chess in Death, the shattered Etruscan vase as The Tower...

Is it excessively masculine? Maybe it is? Maybe that's why I like it so much? But if others don't see it, then maybe it's in our imagination. It certainly has its share of warriers and male athletes, but like Hemera says it has many other types of figures. And the warriers aren't particularly bellicose.

And Ric did the LWB...

AJ

Who do you think is winning on that Strength card? It looks like they are both between a rock and a hard place :)

Aurora369

Hmm, very interesting deck, except I hate all those titles on the card. Another reason I really love the Tarot of the Celtic Fairies...there is only one title. Have to take a better look at these cards.

papercut

How funny ... I received this deck in the mail today. I was flicking through it at work, and I thought to myself that I must make an aeclectic thread about it when I get home.

I am surprised at myself, because I bought the Etruscan on a whim, after seeing a few scans online. This is not like me at all because I tend to consider each potential deck purchase for several months before buying, but I couldnt resist this one.

I dont know why this deck isnt more popular, as it's lovely. Very peaceful, and I agree with Le Fanu that it has a summery vibe.

I dont think it is exceedingly masculine, but I must say, I am enjoying the ratio of scantily clad men to women in this deck! Lots of pecs to admire, lol. It's so rare for a deck to have more nekkid men than women, and so refreshing.

Once again, I am impressed with lo scarabeo and their willingness to push the boundaries of tarot.

annik

I have t his deck and I must confess that I love it deeply. It was the second deck (just after the olympus) where I got a pleasant and strong connection.

magpie9

This is a delightful deck, one that I read with a lot. The Etruscans had Italy before the Romans, and had a delightful easy-going culture. I think they were a lot ore peaceful than the romans.
They kind of remingd me of the Minoans(sp?) ...I wish LS would do a Minoen deck. It would be a good mate for this one!

Freddie

Great posts all!!!

Here is a cool 'Etruscan' webpage that seems to offers some insight into the deck, includes a great poem as well:

http://www.mysteriousetruscans.com/religion.html

I cannot prove it, because as always, they kept most sources secret, but I get the feeling the Golden Dawn and their members solo might have studied their practices and beliefs and borrowed some of them.

I might have to rename this deck 'Tarot of the Flying Winkies' lol... all kidding aside why not, us Tarot loving menfolk have a rich history..Wirth, Papus, A.C., Waite... of course that is all done and over with now... I think they would love this deck and get a real kick out of it. Think so fanu? I like loads of feminine (my wife laughs at me because I love the very pink/flowery Hanson-Roberts lol...) based decks, so I am sure there are ladies here who would like this one too.

Anyone know what the shape (foilage) of the back is?. It looks to be a salamander or a crocodile to me? Could this be the beast they are fighting in the minor arcana?

Riccardo Minetti!!! Well done mate!!!

Freddie

papercut

After looking at the images some more, I have to say I am very happy with this deck. I love the sun card, it might be my favourite version of this card ever. I also like the interesting take on judgement too. The magician is scary and hilarious. Likewise the devil.

Lately I've been finding myself unable to read with RWS meanings more and more. But I think this deck gets a pass because it's RWS influenced, but not aggressively so. There is a lot of ambiguity in these cards.

Also, I love how the imagery is so simple and sparse. These kinds of decks make the best reading decks for me.