The lost tarot of Nostradamus- thoughts?

Tarotwolf

In answer to Winterchild: Yes, the box and book look identical to the Tuttle edition photos.

Parzival

Lost Tarot of Nostradamus

Anyone delved into this unusual deck? Anyone worked with it yet?

poopsie

I'm studying it right now and while doing so, I am trying to see if there is any connection of the card, the tarot meaning and the quatrain attached to each card. It is RWS based, although dome cards have their own flavor. I actually like it but I think I would know better when I start using it for readings.

missy

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this deck. :)

Do you like the imagery? Cardstock? Does it read well?

Can you read it intuitively? With the nonstandard Courts, and each suit comprised of various figures: the suit of Moons is Occultists and Philosophers, for example -- does this deck require study in order to read with it?

I have the basic info about the deck from Rodney's post.

(I did read through the other threads.) Thanks in advance!

GotH

I have the deck. I know that a lot of people here hold importance to the actual images and cardstock, words presented, the look of the back of the cards, etc but I'm more about the feel of energy from this or any deck.. But I must say I do like the way the cards feel in my hands. I found mine to be really accurate and to the point. There is kind of a strict feel to the way this deck reads, like getting advice from an intelligent and worldly source versus a "nice" deck that explains things lightly or works up a story before getting to the point. No pussyfooting around with this one. This is just my experience of course.

Le Fanu

Nice deck in terms of production - though I have read some disparaging comments about it having bad cardstock - not an experience I share. I like its chunkiness.

In terms of content, it's an odd deck. I have read the book and not sure I buy the theory. But I do like the artwork, just find that it is a hard deck to read, with quite limited visual info on each card.

I wonder sometimes whether I like my cards cluttered and anything else somehow feels empty. The images of this deck feel oddly empty, though I know/presume there is lots and lots of esoteric symbolism, but it doesn't jump out at me. The courts are not easy at all so if you're intimidated by courts then this might be a tough nut to crack.

But I like the uniformity, the arches, the alchemical vibe and the distant, misty manuscripts that are a backdrop to all cards. Everytime I think about this deck I dig it out, love it and dedicate myself to it for a few days, then find it hard and put it aside.

But I am persistant in the long terms, I think. Decks don't always have to make sense now!

missy

Thank you for your thoughts, Goddessofthehunter and Le Fanu.

Its readability seems to vary ... I do not know whether or not this one is easily read by most.

Le Fanu, I like what you said: Decks don't always have to make sense now! Such an enabling comment if ever there was one. :D

VioletEye

i'm digging up an old thread here...

i just got this deck, and thought i'd share a few of my impressions with y'all...

first of all, it comes as a kit, with a book. i don't have an extensive tarot collection, so i don't have a ton of experience with how decks are packaged - but this is a large-ish two-piece box, inside is the book, and under it, two plastic nests which each contain half of the deck. this is the first deck i've ever gotten that doesn't have its own little box, and i have to say, personally, i don't like it; i would much rather have an independent box and get rid of the big one.

the cards themselves are nice and thick, with a matte finish. however, you can tell that they've been roughly punched out of a larger sheet: there's a little flange around the edge of the front sides, which is another thing i've never come across. also, there are three cards that are slightly taller and wider than all the others! mmMm....

well, the images themselves are lovely! some are very sparse, as has been said, but i really love the mysterious, esoteric layers and connections. i like that the majors and the different suits all have their own framing, and that there are alchemical correspondences.

that being said, this is a much more difficult deck than i had anticipated...
the system that john matthews and wil kinghan have devised is, in a way, a world of its own, sort of crammed into a tarot setting. i'll be honest and say that i've only flipped through the book as of yet, so perhaps i'm premature; but i feel like in order to effectively use this deck for (tarot) readings, you would have to spend a few months learning the different suits (stars, suns, moons and spheres), as well as nostradamus' writings that are attributed to each card. i'm feeling a little intimidated by this, as i kind of like tarot to fall under a general umbrella - though i know, i know it doesn't, ha!

anyway, for the price (just $15 US for the set!), i'm happy to have it. it's very unique, and and i think if i spend the time, i could get some really great things out of it.

if anyone else has had experience with it, i'd love to hear it! :)

GotH

VioletEye

This is the deck I go to when I MUST get to the very point of something if I go by it's meanings. It hasn't failed me yet. But...... I also find it to be my intuitive deck where my own images form in my head VS a deck with colorful images that "lead" me to an impression in my head. I like this deck. It's like my "fine china" of decks that I don't use everyday but then again, I'm not a collector. :)

Rhinemaiden

I almost bought this deck, captivated by the art, but didn't want to get involved in a system that wasn't RWS... do let us know how you get on with it!